Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Atheists will believe in Porky the Pig and Donald the Duck as long as Porky the Pig and Donald the Duck don't claim to be God.
This got some stony responses, yet it does point up both the theist misconceptions about the rational basis of atheism but also the serious possibility that a good many atheists actually do think like that. It's not surprising. We don't teach logic or the scientific method. We just teach parrot - fashion received wisdom. It's in the Book, therefore it's true. It's hardly surprising that Theists often think that it's a case of lobbying for the State governor to replace one Book with another as a basis of education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Why not? The religous believe in god so why can the non religious believe in ghosts?
They are pure woo, are they not?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 PM

6,943 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
...I believe in nature and real natural events, not ghosts, spirits, gods, or anything else imagined by people.
Science now believes that the smallest particle is energy which makes everything energy, doesn't it?

How can anything be NOT imagination and all-in-the-mind?
If anything is not pure imagination, then how can it exist?
Imagination consists of images generated by the mind and projected on the "inside of the brain" - which is where, exactly? I think you are on very dodgy ground here. :-)

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
If that was meant as a riposte, it was an utter and abysmal failure.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
can an athiest believe in ghost?
I would think not, because of the implications.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I would think not, because of the implications.
What implications are those? Just because we see ghosts does NOT mean there is an afterlife or a god, anymore than a photo or a video of a person could be called a real person on a disk or in a projection.

Who knows what ghosts really are? My guess is that it's probably an as-of-yet unexplained natural phenomenon. I imagine humanity has always been seeing them,and invented the idea of the afterlife and god from there.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What implications are those? Just because we see ghosts does NOT mean there is an afterlife or a god, anymore than a photo or a video of a person could be called a real person on a disk or in a projection.

Who knows what ghosts really are? My guess is that it's probably an as-of-yet unexplained natural phenomenon. I imagine humanity has always been seeing them,and invented the idea of the afterlife and god from there.
By definition, ghosts are supernatural (beyond science). You'd have to acknowledge the existence of the superenatural before accepting the existence of ghosts or spirits. But an atheist would cease to be an atheist in the strictest sense of he/she acknowledged the existence of the supernatural.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
By definition, ghosts are supernatural (beyond science). You'd have to acknowledge the existence of the superenatural before accepting the existence of ghosts or spirits. But an atheist would cease to be an atheist in the strictest sense of he/she acknowledged the existence of the supernatural.
No. An atheist doesn't believe in god, that's all.

"Supernatural" by definition is anything that is beyond normal human experience. True most of it is blown off as hogwash, (because lets face it, most supernatural claims ARE howgwash) but only the atheistic equivilent of fundamentalists these days believe the only things that exist are those things that can be put into test tubes. Every scientist knows Science is a means, not an end, and that while it works well, Science is currently incomplete. That's why scientists are constantly trying to forward scientific knowledge.

It is easy to belive in the existence of things beyond normal human experience, expecially considering we live in a universe that is apparently multidimensional and is about 46.6 billion light years across, and we've only gotten probes as far as our own solar system.

The unknown is almost certainly far larger than the known in that kind of universe. It's the religious folks who err by interpreting the unknown as the work of god(s).

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
LWI

28 posts, read 21,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I was just wondering about what defines an athiest
see, before all these peole start defining what an Atheist is can I just say I wish there was another word that meant something similar but without all the dumbness attached to it.

but okay i'll get with this boxed in program. Can an atheist believe in ghost is like saying do an atheist have some special something that will forever exempt them from EXPERIENCING scary stuff that can be recorded on a tape recorder or be messed up by something their eyes can't see but their dog or cat can?

well yea cause until we can hear like a dog or see like a hawk or have natural senses that go beyond what we got now, then yea anybody can experience stuff that will have them running outta a house, change a hotel room or worry that their kid and dog is seeing something they can't see.

Too many trappings of why a pheomena gotta mean this or that. I mean where does intuition come from and why can we change our attitude about a thing and that act attract a whole nother set of events to happen in our life.

We can't live life without faith (why faith gotta be religious I don't know but that ain't the kinda faith I'm talking about) otherwise people wouldn't have kids that end up killing them, making their life miserable or any of the other social miserys that happens to you. They had faith that that kid was gonna do something non-violent like love them or something.

So to experience a ghost that lives in another dimention ain't a stretch...I mean how many dimensions are there anyway? like 11 of them?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I was just wondering about what defines an athiest
I dont.
I cant talk about all athiest, but I have never met an athiest that believes in ghost, paranormal activities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality