Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:16 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times

Advertisements

You realize that just because YOU are Christians doesn't mean your children will be too. Even if you do your darndest to raise your children in the Christian faith is no guarantee they will follow. And since the outcome of not being a Christian is an eternity of suffering, why risk bringing a child into the world who just may spend forever in the lake of fire?

What say ye, Moderator cut: deleted reference ?

Last edited by june 7th; 12-29-2009 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
That's a good question. One I don't have the answer to.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
The same question could apply to Muslims.
If memory serves me correct, their holy book says anyone who isn't a Muslim is an infidel.

In any case, so many people of faith think their children will follow in their footsteps when it comes to religion. Some think if they pray hard enough or ostracize their kids if they don't fall in line, it just might help bring their kid in line.

::shrug shoulders::

Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
So this is like you will keep your tools in your zipper and give up your right to erection, based on your hypothesis that there is no guarantee your girlfriend/wife will be loyal to you

The most moronic question ever.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:50 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

I strongly disagree. If I believed there was even the slightest chance that one of my offspring would be in agony forever - I would make absolutely certain that I created no 'eternal hell candidates'.

So IF someone is an eternal hell believer - having kids would be unconscionable. That's more proof that in their heart of hearts - they really don't really believe it.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I strongly disagree. If I believed their was even the slightest chance that one of my offspring would be in agony forever - I would make absolutely certain that I created no 'eternal hell candidates'.

So IF someone is an eternal hell believer having kids would be unconscionable. That's more proof that in their heart of hearts - they really don't really believe it.
Oh, as they always say........ "great" minds think alike

Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
So this is like you will keep your tools in your zipper and give up your right to erection, based on your hypothesis that there is no guarantee your girlfriend/wife will be loyal to you

Unfaithfullness of a wife/girlfriend is a far, far, far cry from eternal conscious torment.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Oh, as they always say........ "great" minds think alike
Well, since according to orthodox doctrine "few there be who find it" then that means 'most' won't find it, right? So basically by having kids (under that scenario) you are playing Russian roulette with five (eternal torment tipped) bullets in the revolver.

Like I said before - I don't believe people really believe what they say they believe or haven't thought it all the way through.

Your comparison of "no guarantee your girlfriend/wife will be loyal to you" shows you haven't thought it through? If not - please explain how all is fine with raising potential hell fuel with these odds (that is, under Jesus' "few there be who find it" statement).

Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I strongly disagree. If I believed there was even the slightest chance that one of my offspring would be in agony forever - I would make absolutely certain that I created no 'eternal hell candidates'.

So IF someone is an eternal hell believer - having kids would be unconscionable. That's more proof that in their heart of hearts - they really don't really believe it.
No it really is a stupid question. Whether they go to Hell or not is up to them and God. The chance of existence, and eternal joy, is worth whatever risk you think there is. Particularly as most parents assume their kid won't go to Hell.

It would about be like saying "why do atheists have kids when they know the odds of them eventually dying a painful death." People aren't think of ultimate endings when deciding to have kids.

Even if there might be some kind of logic to it people, actual people not odd creations of abstract logic, don't work like this. They don't calculate the odds of a car accident then decide not to drive or what have you. They have unprotected sex without thinking much or at all about the ultimate metaphysical ending of whatever child may occur due to the act. So you're almost asking "If some kind of biological android became a Christian why would it do X?" And I don't think it's necessary for Christians to answer question so bizarrely hypothetical. Antlered C's response of essentially pointing and laughing at it is really the more sensible approach, even then what I'm doing.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
It would about be like saying "why do atheists have kids when they know the odds of them eventually dying a painful death." People aren't think of ultimate endings when deciding to have kids.
I really do think the concept of never ending suffering is lost on some people.

Quote:
And I don't think it's necessary for Christians to answer question so bizarrely hypothetical.
Hypothetical? To a Christian, there are only two destinations in eternity. Bliss or horror.

Quote:
Antlered C's response of essentially pointing and laughing at it is really the more sensible approach, even then what I'm doing.
Calling the question "moronic" and "stupid" is a cop-out. What is obvious is that many Christians don't want to face the implications of their beliefs, and they don't like to be confronted with them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality