Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:29 AM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

To me, a cult (in the religious sense) is a group that essentially tries to control every aspect of a person's life and that does so primarily by fear and isolation. Cult members are strongly discouraged, if not strictly forbidden, to have anything to do with people outside the group. Their access to information is greatly restricted, too. They are prohibited from reading "unauthorized" material and from gaining any information that would cause them to doubt the legitimacy of the group. They are not to question authority, or to take a differing position on any issue. There is always the threat of shunning hanging over their heads, and they are conditioned to believe that survival outside the group would be almost impossible for them. Also important is the concept that life on the outside is itself something to fear. In other words, there is safety only within the group. When you get right down to it, it's not what the group believes that makes it a cult, but how its leader goes about making sure its beliefs are not questioned.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-26-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
cult: a culture.
occult: hidden.
Fundamentals: basic tenants.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
To me, a cult (in the religious sense) is a group that essentially tries to control every aspect of a person's life and that does so primarily by fear and isolation.
Cult members are strongly discouraged, if not strictly forbidden, to have anything to do with people outside the group. Their access to information is greatly restricted, too.
They are prohibited from reading "unauthorized" material and from gaining any information that would cause them to doubt the legitimacy of the group. They are not to question authority, or to take a differing position on any issue.
There is always the threat of shunning hanging over their heads, and they are conditioned to believe that survival outside the group would be almost impossible for them.
Also important is the concept that life on the outside is itself something to fear.
In other words, there is safety only within the group. When you get right down to it, it's not what the group believes that makes it a cult, but how its leader goes about making sure its beliefs are not questioned.
Yes, this is an excellent description.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
To me, a cult (in the religious sense) is a group that essentially tries to control every aspect of a person's life and that does so primarily by fear and isolation. Cult members are strongly discouraged, if not strictly forbidden, to have anything to do with people outside the group. Their access to information is greatly restricted, too. They are prohibited from reading "unauthorized" material and from gaining any information that would cause them to doubt the legitimacy of the group. They are not to question authority, or to take a differing position on any issue. There is always the threat of shunning hanging over their heads, and they are conditioned to believe that survival outside the group would be almost impossible for them. Also important is the concept that life on the outside is itself something to fear. In other words, there is safety only within the group. When you get right down to it, it's not what the group believes that makes it a cult, but how its leader goes about making sure its beliefs are not questioned.
I agree, pretty much, but it's all relative. No one told me I couldn't survive on my own apart from protestant fundamentalism, but there were subtle messages implying this that were pretty much constant. Not the least of which is the "I'm nothing without God" false humility meme.

No one wanted an hour by hour account of my day to day activities and there was no council to be called before to lambaste me for missing my morning devotionals. But all the concern about being sufficiently faithful / right / correct / spiritual / consecrated had an effect that was in many ways quite similar to some sort of overt controlling oversight -- just more deniable.

How free is a Mormon, really, to not do mission work by a certain point in their life? To not attend stake meetings regularly? Probably as free as I was not to be in regular attendance or not to volunteer for committees or to teach vacation bible school. Which was that I could be considered a third-class member of the group, a freeloader on the "pillars of the church", the 20% that makes 80% of things happen. Which means I might not get a pat on the back and "well done, thou good and faithful servant" upon entry to heaven. Maybe the mansion prepared for me would be a "McMansion" in an okay suburb of the New Jerusalem, instead of a palatial estate in the Heavenly Hamptons?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:12 AM

21 posts, read 15,418 times
A cult is where the lives of its members revolve around the cult leader and nothing gets leaked out. No one is allowed to do their own thing a bit like a dictatorship where everyone has to obey the dictator ie the leader. The leader is likened to God the invisible.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I agree. With the exception that some cults DO interact with people.....to gain recruits. Or ask for money.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:03 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I agree. With the exception that some cults do interact with people.....to gain recruits.
Yes. On and offline.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
What specific characteristics does a religious group need to have in order to be considered a cult?

I believe I used to belong to a cult...

-- we were the one true church, the elect, if you will
-- all 10 of us met in a house, 3 times a week, for several hours each service
-- it was expected you don't miss church for anything, you know, put god first
-- the leader had special wisdom from god
-- it was expected that you sought approval from the leader for decisions unrelated to religion (expenses, housing, career choices, etc)
-- a sexually abusive and power hungry leader

I'm noticing most of those have to do with the leaders. Whether or not a religious group is a cult depends more on the leader and culture of the group rather than the beliefs of that particular group.
A Cult is any group that disagrees with a persons beliefs.

To Jews Christianity was a Cult.
To Catholics Mormon's are.
To Baptists 7th Day are
and on and on...

The use of the term of any group is used to sway an argument where no real evdience exists to counter an argument presented. basically an ad hominem attack showing the one using the term has no real answer to the point they are trying to refute.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Well said, Katz! Control by others is anathema to the self-control God seeks from us. It is anti-Christ and anti-God to try to exert control over the lives of others. That is what makes cults dangerous and evil.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:22 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I agree. With the exception that some cults DO interact with people.....to gain recruits. Or ask for money.
True, but what I meant was that, for the rank and file members, access to information not approved by the group's leadership is pretty strictly monitored. A cult member would probably not be encouraged to join an interfaith discussion group, for instance, because -- heaven forbid -- his mind might be poisoned by ideas that conflict with the cult's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality