U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 PM

12,899 posts, read 4,920,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I suggest that those who identify as atheist came to realize they were because they studied the Bible more - and pretty frequently (so I read in conversions stories) in order to believe better and refute disbelievers more effectively and found that the book made no sense.

They ended up as atheists because they now knew more about the Bible than they did before.
That is part of the reason I became an atheist. That and the stuff I believed couldn't stand up to public scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 PM

37,473 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am not an Atheist
Neither am I. You answered 15 of 15 questions correctly (100%).

Old 09-05-2015, 03:32 AM

34,429 posts, read 8,865,664 times
Of course. In fact a lot of theists are equally knowledgeable about religion, particular and general. The fact is that most people -believers and not - do not know much about religion. And a lot of Christians don't read the Bible, or really read it. They get their stories secondhand from the preachers, and they paraphrase and quotemine.

It is very often a shock for either Theist or atheist to read the Bible and actually see what's in it. I read the Book of Mormon a long time ago. With an OT preface, it settles into a mix of J.F. Cooper with stockade attacks on the frontier with Acts material with godly Nehemites magically escaping from jails.

Of course, like, Islam LDS goes down the tube along with all the Bible- based religions. And the Bible goes down the tube on its own account. the OT because it conflicts with History (and I mean Geology, Palaeontology, Archaeology and written history) and the NT because it conflicts with itself, mostly.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:51 AM

387 posts, read 186,243 times
Even a parrot, living as a parrot lives, can repeat the word "God."

Old 09-06-2015, 10:45 AM

7,658 posts, read 3,836,474 times
As someone who has studied all major religions, I find that most leaders have no idea what their religion is about. So many things wrong. The original Bible never claimed that Mary was a virgin, it was mistranslated, it said she was a maiden. A Magi was actually an entertainer, like a court jester. Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute, one of the Popes changed it to that.
Nowhere does it say that your soul goes to heaven when you die. It says it goes when Jesus returns, until then it stays with the body. But that was a hard sell, your soul could be in a graveyard for thousands of years. Not very appetizing to attract followers.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:13 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,147,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
As someone who has studied all major religions, I find that most leaders have no idea what their religion is about. So many things wrong. The original Bible never claimed that Mary was a virgin, it was mistranslated, it said she was a maiden.
It's a little more complex than that, but you have the basic idea. You're confusing an oracle from the Hebrew Bible which claims a "maiden" will conceive with how that passage was interpreted in the Greek New Testament, which latter DOES use the term "virgin" - based off of the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible which translates "maiden" as "virgin". The fact of the matter is that the passage in the Hebrew Bible concerning the "maiden" was never intended as a prophecy that would apply to some future Mary of the Greek New Testament. But in some of the NT Gospels, Mary is most definitely called a "virgin" and it's not mistranslated. It is that the authors of the Gospels were using mistranslated sources.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:43 PM

4,251 posts, read 2,798,019 times
I think it has to do with perceptive. When believer is taught about their religion, they only see it from one side. Often they will deny facts if it are contrary to their beliefs. When a non-believer is taught about religions, they are able to see it from different angles. They do not dispute the facts like believers do.

BTW, I am not an atheist, but I am not a Christian, either. I love studying different religions-not just the ones that are active today but also the ancient religions of the Egyptians, Greeks, and such. In many ways, those ancient religions are still with us today but in different forms. Connections are made when studying all of them.

Cat

Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 PM

10,455 posts, read 4,130,163 times
its like a langue. To know another langue is to know your own better.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:49 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I have my theories but let's discuss.

U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey | Pew Research Center
Discuss what?

Some believe, others do not. Discussion is over.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 4,294,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think he was actually referring to people that have too much head knowledge of the Bible but they never let it actually affect their life. I roomed with a guy that told me he wasn't a Christian, but he could quote chapter and verse as well as anyone. He KNEW the Bible -- but he never let it sink in.

I don't think he was talking about "nasty intellectuals" that read physics books. Nor would I suggest that a "fundamentalist" would not want to be informed, or study, either.
Quran. Get to it. No head knowledge please. Just Faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or