U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Ohio
18,134 posts, read 13,312,319 times
Reputation: 13993

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Why is it that atheists know more about religion than believers?
Probably because atheists have actually read and studied the texts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
What is the goal of the Atheist?
A quest for Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2018, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Ft Myers, FL
2,138 posts, read 993,281 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Probably because atheists have actually read and studied the texts.



A quest for Truth.
So atheists have actually read and studied the texts, and have as a goal a quest for Truth.

What a coincidence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,938 posts, read 9,693,560 times
Reputation: 2409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
What i said is all true. There is usually not much factual truth coming from the mouths or minds of atheists, certainly no more than people of faith.

The atheists religion is that of faithless self-righteousness and full of hypocrisy and more often than not, ignorance.
LOL! This guy is a wind-up merchant. Sticks out a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Status: "Independent/free" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Land of the Caddo and Tonkawa
4,019 posts, read 1,522,876 times
Reputation: 5714
I don't buy the premise that atheists know more about religion than believers. I will say though that they do tend to be more resistant to the nonsense that floods modern Christianity. I'm not sure why so many "believers" these days are so easily duped by what they hear in their churches and loony media outlets. It's like an infection that destroys part of the brain. Regardless, I still know many intelligent Christians who are on par with intelligent atheists, and who spot nonsense right away and articulately call it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,070 posts, read 8,969,006 times
Reputation: 18460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't buy the premise that atheists know more about religion than believers. I will say though that they do tend to be more resistant to the nonsense that floods modern Christianity. I'm not sure why so many "believers" these days are so easily duped by what they hear in their churches and loony media outlets. It's like an infection that destroys part of the brain. Regardless, I still know many intelligent Christians who are on par with intelligent atheists, and who spot nonsense right away and articulately call it out.
What I would say is that atheists have more open-mindedly thought about their beliefs, rather than just accepting what they were born into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,079 posts, read 8,601,269 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't buy the premise that atheists know more about religion than believers. I will say though that they do tend to be more resistant to the nonsense that floods modern Christianity. I'm not sure why so many "believers" these days are so easily duped by what they hear in their churches and loony media outlets. It's like an infection that destroys part of the brain. Regardless, I still know many intelligent Christians who are on par with intelligent atheists, and who spot nonsense right away and articulately call it out.
Many atheists, remember, are former theists. I think that those believers that undertake to really know and understand theology will have an opportunity to more readily see the logical holes in it, and thus more likely to leave the faith at some point.

I can say, objectively, that I know more of the scriptures than most believers because that was true even when I was a believer. I devoted a year of my life to full time formal study of the Bible and theology as put forward by my own denominational group via a Bible institute. That is more than most people do. That doesn't make me better or more right, but it does make me far more informed than most pew-warmers. That knowledge didn't flee my brain when I deconverted.

Also, no one is suggesting that "[all] atheists know more than [all] believers". Just that we are, in general, more and better informed than most believers will give us credit for.

I would suppose that this particular forum would tend to attract better informed and more enthusiastic believers, thus evening out the playing field a bit. The problem there is that many such theists are informed in a fairly narrow and rigid way, concerning a particular brand of theism / dogma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 04:44 PM
 
34,906 posts, read 9,021,289 times
Reputation: 4817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't buy the premise that atheists know more about religion than believers. I will say though that they do tend to be more resistant to the nonsense that floods modern Christianity. I'm not sure why so many "believers" these days are so easily duped by what they hear in their churches and loony media outlets. It's like an infection that destroys part of the brain. Regardless, I still know many intelligent Christians who are on par with intelligent atheists, and who spot nonsense right away and articulately call it out.
Oh yes, I agree. For myself, rather than point to stats that can be used to show that atherists are generally smarter rthan Theists, I would prefer the fact that half the atheists we have used to be theists. They didn't get smarter - they got to know the religion better.

It's often looking at the Bible, and what is the fork in the road is the one that says 'Comfortable lies' or 'Hard truths'. You are faced with a choice, and Belief is indeed a choice - to entertain doubts and try to settle them - with the risk of doing what half our atheists did, or dismiss doubts (or try to) and rely on Faith.

Looking at the fiddling, evasion and misleading that they then have to do in the course of debate, I just don't see how I could live like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Ft Myers, FL
2,138 posts, read 993,281 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Many atheists, remember, are former theists. I think that those believers that undertake to really know and understand theology will have an opportunity to more readily see the logical holes in it, and thus more likely to leave the faith at some point.
Though I'm sure this is factual, speaking from my own experience as a former atheist of 45 years, I find that my undertaking to really know and understand theology has increased my faith. Other's MMV.

Quote:
Also, no one is suggesting that "[all] atheists know more than [all] believers". Just that we are, in general, more and better informed than most believers will give us credit for.
I think that's key to this discussion - the degree of credit believers are willing to give. I commend those who strive to do the legwork necessary to form their conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,079 posts, read 8,601,269 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Though I'm sure this is factual, speaking from my own experience as a former atheist of 45 years, I find that my undertaking to really know and understand theology has increased my faith. Other's MMV.
The study of theology can be either a study in confirmation bias or an objective enterprise. My alma mater for example had a comparative religion class, but in retrospect I can see that it was designed not as an objective and intellectually honest comparison of different religious ideas, but as an itemization of the myriad ways in which other religions were so WRONG compared to our dogma, which was simply assumed to be right, objective and reliable.

The wellspring of our ideology was Dallas Theological Seminary, and its key output was Lewis Sperry Chafer's Systematic Theology. That is a particular hermeneutic -- you may have used a different one, which would arrive at somewhat different conclusions -- or possibly highly divergent ones. You might not be a dispensationalist, or you might be a hyperdispensationalist for example. Or an armenian rather than a Calvinist. Theology is wonderful to study so long as you stay within one of those interpretational regimes, and ignore the differences with other regimes. If you start paying attention, you realize that Biblical interpretation is entirely subjective and is not intersubjective except among people gazing at the same navel.

But as you say ... YMMV. Mine certainly did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I think that's key to this discussion - the degree of credit believers are willing to give. I commend those who strive to do the legwork necessary to form their conclusions.
Well this tendency not to give credit comes from the assumption that stereotypical notions of atheists and atheism are accurate. It's a widespread misperception that we don't believe because we simply don't understand. After all, Joe Christian had the light bulb go on when the gospel was explained in a certain way, so Joe Atheist must simply not have heard that explanation -- or refuses to hear it. Or deliberately rejects it when he does. Otherwise -- it calls Joe Christian's experience (and judgment) into question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 05:49 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,727 posts, read 11,220,452 times
Reputation: 4989
I'm a nonbeliever (agnostic) and I'm constantly fending off evangelists in my locale (in West Texas.) Little do they know that many years ago when I lived in the SF Bay Area (a place well known for its irreligiosity), I actually attended church every week and sometimes multiple times a week. Back then, I actually had faith in Christianity and sought out to learn as much as possible and to try to "prove" that Christianity was the way. In the end, I failed to convince myself and that lead to even further conviction that Christianity is NOT the way.

Charles Munger once had a quote that went something like this:

Quote:
“You’re not entitled to take a view, unless and until you can argue better against that view than the smartest guy who holds that opposite view."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top