Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,091,921 times

Advertisements

This one apparently thinks so. Funny...but in 3 years of refusing to do the marriages, no one reprimanded her, and she was not sent to jail.

Sounds like a double standard to me.

Judge Parker refuses to conduct marriages because they
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:24 PM

23,155 posts, read 26,059,920 times
Did you notice that she does not perform marriage ceremonies...for anybody?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,010,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This one apparently thinks so. Funny...but in 3 years of refusing to do the marriages, no one reprimanded her, and she was not sent to jail.

Marrying people is a CHOICE for judges..... not a job requirement.

So..... fail. Again. If it seems like a double standard to you it's because you obviously know little about judicial duties. She is not required to perform marriages.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's part of her job. If she can't do her job she should either go to jail or resign.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:28 PM

16,591 posts, read 15,522,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Did you notice that this is from February of 2012?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,986,272 times
Quote:

Judge Parker refuses to conduct marriages because they
The law of the land is fluid.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,010,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Looks like Viz enjoys reading LGBT web sites and is still catching up. Odd hobby for a fundamentalist but...... whatever.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:37 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,117,651 times
Quote:
It's part of her job. If she can't do her job she should either go to jail or resign.
No, it is OPTIONAL for judges to officiate weddings, not a REQUIREMENT. She also did not refuse one group while allowing another, she refused to do ANY weddings.

But you will be happy to know that she now marries anyone who requests her services.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,579,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
And did he further notice that the reason she was not performing marriage ceremonies at that time was because the state did not allow same sex marriage, and she felt that it was against her principles to apply the law unequally? Did he fail to notice that the judge now performs marriage ceremonies, and has been for several months?

Or did he only bother reading the headline before racing over here to post the link?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, it is OPTIONAL for judges to officiate weddings, not a REQUIREMENT. She also did not refuse one group while allowing another, she refused to do ANY weddings.

But you will be happy to know that she now marries anyone who requests her services.
She refused heterosexual weddings. It was her way of making a statement. She is a bigot. But, just as I surmised, the antis on here are going nuts to support her, telling us there is no double standard. It's sickening.

“I use it as my opportunity to give them a lesson about marriage inequality in this state because I feel like I have to tell them why I’m turning them away,” Parker said. “So I usually will offer them something along the lines of ‘I’m sorry. I don’t perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality, and until it does, I am not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn’t apply to another group of people.’ And it’s kind of oxymoronic for me to perform ceremonies that can’t be performed for me, so I’m not going to do it.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality