Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:25 PM

22,007 posts, read 19,112,807 times

Advertisements

This topic came up on another thread and I wanted to hear from a wider audience, so am starting a thread about intuition. What role does intuition play in your life? How do you define intuition? How does it differ from instinct? from intellect? How do you identify intuition in your life, and what value does it have for you? In what way is it part of your religious or spiritual activities?

Thank you everyone for your input and sharing.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-10-2015 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:35 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times
Had a hunch you'd start a thread about this....

Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
I'm very intuitive. And I've learned to pay attention to it. There are just things I know are going to happen. I consider it a gift from God.

One example: Years ago I was driving on a freeway in L.A. It was raining and traffic was going about 50mph. There was a semi truck ahead of me and one lane over. I "knew" something was going to happen to the truck and began tapping my brakes to warn the car in back of me. Ten seconds after getting the feeling of "Uh oh", a wheel/tire suddenly came off the trailer and came into my lane. It rolled toward my car and I kept tapping the brake so I wouldn't spin out. The wheel stopped rolling and I stopped my car. There was about five inches between my car's bumper and the wheel. (The trucker kept going. I don't think he knew he'd lost a wheel.)

Traffic came to a stop. When I got out of my car the guy in the car in back of me walked up to me and said, "Holy ****! How did you stop in time? " I told him I "knew" the wheel was going to come off. He said, "You must have ESP. I was watching that truck and saw nothing. I didn't know why you were slowing down."

Stuff like that happens to me all the time.

I often pray for people using the gift. They'll come into my mind suddenly and I know something is happening. Intercessory prayer. A few close Christian friends know I do it and will say later, "I couldn't call to ask you to pray ... but I knew you would know." Yep.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-10-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 09:49 PM

22,007 posts, read 19,112,807 times
i know my intuition is reliable. the times I ignored it.....i ended up wishing i hadn't. the times i followed it ALWAYS have made me glad i did.

i think of it as thoughts come from my intellect, they are the voice of logic and reason and rational thinking, and intelligence has its place.
then there are my feelings and emotions, they provide information and there is an intelligence in my feelings also, they offer helpful guidance.

but intuition feels like it is the voice of my soul guiding me, and it comes from the wisest, highest, smartest place of all. i have learned to listen, trust, follow even when it makes no sense, even when it is not rational or reasonable. It is just like a really clear calm inner knowing. Intuition, being the view from the soul perspective, always has my best interests at heart, and can see the big picture which i can not see or know when i only use my thoughts or feelings.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:05 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times
Think of a calculator. You input all the various figures but never hit the 'calculate' button.
The time comes when that information is wanted or needed so you hit the button and the answer immediately appears, ostensibly without you having given it any conscious thought.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:54 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,045,793 times
intuition = inductive reasoning

You see what you want to see
If you truly want to see what the facts say when they are allowed to speak for themselves then you will indeed see that too

Intuition can't tell you that a given idea is true
but if used objectively it does tell you whether that idea is reasonable or not
The most reasonable possibility tends to be (but isnt always) the correct one
An unreasonable possibility must be false

Old 09-11-2015, 04:22 AM

9,677 posts, read 9,971,995 times
Just need to discern if the intuition is a demonic entity or natural flesh of the mind , or if people have God`s Spirit on their lives where He may be leading ................ Then there is interaction with a baby or animal pet where people know the display of interaction which people may be 50% chance or more they understand the need of the Baby or the animal pet is trying to convey

Old 09-11-2015, 04:48 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,673,806 times
Intuition...to me....is like the second sense.
We pick up on so much more around us than just visual, or auditory. Our brains work in ways that science has not yet discerned.
I "feel" things....."hear" things......sense...things.
I experience something similar to premonition ..the same as the poster with the tire episode. Not daily. Just when necessary. I cannot "call it up"....or search for it. I just allow myself to be "open" to listening to my inner voice.
I have always been this way. Since as a small child.
There are all sorts of signals and waves (?) bouncing around the planet earth that we can't see, touch, or hear. But they do affect us. Whether we realize it or not. Or accept it. Or acknowledge it.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
I was led to click on this post..

Intuition to me is COMMON SENSE, what we OUGHT to do but resist doing ans it continues to nag at us in a TOLD YOU SO kind of fashion.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:40 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times
I wonder if people use the words instinct and intuition interchangeably?
I tend to agree with this differentiation.

"• Instinct is our innate inclination toward a particular behavior (as opposed to a learned response).
• A gut feeling—or a hunch—is a sensation that appears quickly in consciousness (noticeable enough to be acted on if one chooses to) without us being fully aware of the underlying reasons for its occurrence.
• Intuition is a process that gives us the ability to know something directly without analytic reasoning, bridging the gap between the conscious and nonconscious parts of our mind, and also between instinct and reason."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...w-do-we-use-it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality