Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 04:52 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,001,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But they were also one the lookout for fossils which meant that theyou were willing to make the effort to search for things they otherwise would not have. Many fossils have been found in well traveled areas because those traveling it neither knew what they should be looking for nor actually looked. Often when someone finds a fossil many others are found nearby relatively quick not because there are more people but because there are more people looking.
I see your point, however, I still say the story looks a little fishy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 04:58 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,315,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I see your point, however, I still say the story looks a little fishy...
My original post included you but many others as well, actually more directly to some of the others than to your posts.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,910,693 times
Quote:
Did anyone actually read the article?...It's kinda sketchy...

A trove of bones hidden deep within a South African cave represents a new species of human ancestor, scientists announced Thursday in the journal eLife. Homo naledi, as they call it, appears very primitive in some respects—it had a tiny brain, for instance, and apelike shoulders for climbing. But in other ways it looks remarkably like modern humans. When did it live? Where does it fit in the human family tree? And how did its bones get into the deepest hidden chamber of the cave—could such a primitive creature have been disposing of its dead intentionally?

This is the story of one of the greatest fossil discoveries of the past half century, and of what it might mean for our understanding of human evolution.

Chance Favors the Slender Caver (These two were the only ones that were slender enough?)

Two years ago, a pair of recreational cavers entered a cave called Rising Star, some 30 miles northwest of Johannesburg. Rising Star has been a popular draw for cavers since the 1960s,

(Let's say that it's been popular since 1960, that would mean that it has been a popular recreation area for spelunking for the past 55 years.)

and its filigree of channels and caverns is well mapped. (Well mapped would imply well known.)

Steven Tucker and Rick Hunter were hoping to find some less trodden passage.

In the back of their minds was another mission. In the first half of the 20th century, this region of South Africa produced so many fossils of our early ancestors that it later became known as the Cradle of Humankind. Though the heyday of fossil hunting there was long past, the cavers knew that a scientist in Johannesburg was looking for bones.

(an agenda?)

The odds of happening upon something were remote. But you never know.

Deep in the cave, Tucker and Hunter worked their way through a constriction called Superman’s Crawl—because most people can fit through only by holding one arm tightly against the body and extending the other above the head, like the Man of Steel in flight. Crossing a large chamber, they climbed a jagged wall of rock called the Dragon’s Back. At the top they found themselves in a pretty little cavity decorated with stalactites. Hunter got out his video camera, and to remove himself from the frame, Tucker eased himself into a fissure in the cave floor.

(why not just stand behind the guy with the camera instead of putting yourself in a position where you make gat stuck? Seems pretty contrived to me.)

His foot found a finger of rock, then another below it, then—empty space.

(Hmmm, seems like a dangerous situation now.)

Dropping down, he found himself in a narrow, vertical chute, in some places less than eight inches wide.

(Considering that this was a well known, well trodden and well mapped recreational area, no one else knew this existed, I mean no one else in the past 55 years was curious enough to go where these guys claimed to have gone? That alone seems pretty sketchy to me.)

He called to Hunter to follow him. Both men have hyper-slender frames, all bone and wiry muscle. Had their torsos been just a little bigger, they would not have fit in the chute, and what is arguably the most astonishing human fossil discovery in half a century—and undoubtedly the most perplexing—would not have occurred.

(And there we have it!...We had to wait 55 years until these hyper-slender, all-bone and wiry individuals came along (55 years later) to discover this!...Because we all know that they were the only ones in 55 years with this type of body frame and this type of enthusiasm to explore a well known and well mapped cave system that no one else ever had!...)

- This Face Changes the Human Story. But How?

I find this highly suspect and contrived...I've found that both unscrupulous Scientific and Religious professionals will, if they cannot FIND empirical evidence, just make some to bolster their agenda...Not that I don't believe these things could be real, it is just that this article seems rag-sheetish....And I've read enough rag-sheets in the past to know...Very entertaining they were...
So I wonder what you think about building 7 at the World Trade Center?

I mean you seem to have no problem with developing conspiracy theories so I suspect you believe any that come along. The heck with the facts right?

Old 09-13-2015, 06:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,594,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So I wonder what you think about building 7 at the World Trade Center?

I mean you seem to have no problem with developing conspiracy theories so I suspect you believe any that come along. The heck with the facts right?
Hey man. Everyone knows that building 7 collapsed because it was on some faulty footings and that ******* Bob Anderson kicked a piece a quartz at it, and the thing came tumbling down.

Definitely no fishy business.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,374,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh, the fundies should go nuts now explaining this one.

I wonder if some on this board are waiting for the Slick answer? Go ahead, send CARM the link so he can come up with some boilerplate you can copy/paste here.

This Face Changes the Human Story. But How?
Some people will believe anything.

Note: A trove of bones hidden deep within a South African cave represents a new species of human ancestor, scientists announced Thursday in the journal eLife. Homo naledi, as they call it, appears very primitive in some respects—it had a tiny brain, for instance, and apelike shoulders for climbing. But in other ways it looks remarkably like modern humans. When did it live? Where does it fit in the human family tree? And how did its bones get into the deepest hidden chamber of the cave—could such a primitive creature have been disposing of its dead intentionally?

They made up the look, hair, coloration and many of the shapes given to the face and ... more myths.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,151,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Note: A trove of bones hidden deep within a South African cave represents a new species of human ancestor, scientists announced Thursday in the journal eLife. Homo naledi, as they call it, appears very primitive in some respects—it had a tiny brain, for instance, and apelike shoulders for climbing. But in other ways it looks remarkably like modern humans. When did it live? Where does it fit in the human family tree? And how did its bones get into the deepest hidden chamber of the cave—could such a primitive creature have been disposing of its dead intentionally?

They made up the look, hair, coloration and many of the shapes given to the face and ... more myths.
Not at all like the "truth" of a book written thousands of years ago by anonymous men whom Constantine declared were all channeling the same god.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,910,693 times
Quote:

You're likely correct as far as the hair is concerned you're possibly correct as far as coloration is concerned but you're definitely not correct as far as the shape of the face is concerned.

We have forensics today that can accurately depict a person just from a skull, and is often used to solve murders. That same forensics is used in this case.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 PM

19,713 posts, read 10,099,641 times
The "slender caver" comment was because the opening to the cave was only 7 1/2 inches wide. So they had to find people who could squeeze in.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,605,209 times
Quote:
Did anyone actually read the article?...It's kinda sketchy...

A trove of bones hidden deep within a South African cave represents a new species of human ancestor, scientists announced Thursday in the journal eLife. Homo naledi, as they call it, appears very primitive in some respects—it had a tiny brain, for instance, and apelike shoulders for climbing. But in other ways it looks remarkably like modern humans. When did it live? Where does it fit in the human family tree? And how did its bones get into the deepest hidden chamber of the cave—could such a primitive creature have been disposing of its dead intentionally?

This is the story of one of the greatest fossil discoveries of the past half century, and of what it might mean for our understanding of human evolution.

Chance Favors the Slender Caver (These two were the only ones that were slender enough?)

Two years ago, a pair of recreational cavers entered a cave called Rising Star, some 30 miles northwest of Johannesburg. Rising Star has been a popular draw for cavers since the 1960s,

(Let's say that it's been popular since 1960, that would mean that it has been a popular recreation area for spelunking for the past 55 years.)

and its filigree of channels and caverns is well mapped. (Well mapped would imply well known.)

Steven Tucker and Rick Hunter were hoping to find some less trodden passage.

In the back of their minds was another mission. In the first half of the 20th century, this region of South Africa produced so many fossils of our early ancestors that it later became known as the Cradle of Humankind. Though the heyday of fossil hunting there was long past, the cavers knew that a scientist in Johannesburg was looking for bones.

(an agenda?)

The odds of happening upon something were remote. But you never know.

Deep in the cave, Tucker and Hunter worked their way through a constriction called Superman’s Crawl—because most people can fit through only by holding one arm tightly against the body and extending the other above the head, like the Man of Steel in flight. Crossing a large chamber, they climbed a jagged wall of rock called the Dragon’s Back. At the top they found themselves in a pretty little cavity decorated with stalactites. Hunter got out his video camera, and to remove himself from the frame, Tucker eased himself into a fissure in the cave floor.

(why not just stand behind the guy with the camera instead of putting yourself in a position where you make gat stuck? Seems pretty contrived to me.)

His foot found a finger of rock, then another below it, then—empty space.

(Hmmm, seems like a dangerous situation now.)

Dropping down, he found himself in a narrow, vertical chute, in some places less than eight inches wide.

(Considering that this was a well known, well trodden and well mapped recreational area, no one else knew this existed, I mean no one else in the past 55 years was curious enough to go where these guys claimed to have gone? That alone seems pretty sketchy to me.)

He called to Hunter to follow him. Both men have hyper-slender frames, all bone and wiry muscle. Had their torsos been just a little bigger, they would not have fit in the chute, and what is arguably the most astonishing human fossil discovery in half a century—and undoubtedly the most perplexing—would not have occurred.

(And there we have it!...We had to wait 55 years until these hyper-slender, all-bone and wiry individuals came along (55 years later) to discover this!...Because we all know that they were the only ones in 55 years with this type of body frame and this type of enthusiasm to explore a well known and well mapped cave system that no one else ever had!...)

- This Face Changes the Human Story. But How?

I find this highly suspect and contrived...I've found that both unscrupulous Scientific and Religious professionals will, if they cannot FIND empirical evidence, just make some to bolster their agenda...Not that I don't believe these things could be real, it is just that this article seems rag-sheetish....And I've read enough rag-sheets in the past to know...Very entertaining they were...
Did you read anything yourself? Or even easier, watch the pbs Nova special on this? It's pretty straightforward.

Guy A is unemployed. He's a keen caver and has worked for the anthropologist in the past. He goes to the anthropologist and says "hey, want me to go investigate caves for you, since you don't have the time and I need a job?". Anthropologist says "hey, great idea! I'm stuck in the lab with this awesome find I made a few years ago, here's some money, go recruit a few cavers and explore for me". Guy A recruits guys B and C to the job. Guy B accidentally steps in a bottomless hole, continues down, sees bones, takes pics, they go to anthropologist's house a 9pm at night, anthropologist freaks the hell out and organises expedition.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:14 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,667,067 times
Quote:

It is pretty dishonest to suggest that, because they had to make the best guess they could at hair colour and the like, that somehow means that what they have practical evidence of can also be dismissed as 'myth'.

The 'myth' is the Creationist one that the unanswered questions makes a good reason for dismissing all the answered ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality