Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM

98 posts, read 273,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Not really. Check out the basis for the other side of the argument found in other threads on this board. The Hebrews and their sister cultures in the Middle East (including Egyptians) believed in a flat Earth and a vaulted sky.
I'm giving an opinion based on Christianity, not Paganism. That may be what most read in the story of Hebrew texts. The Egyptians weren't, largely, practicing readers of the Bible. Look at the Hebrew concept of the 3 heavens. The lowest to highest, the first being the realm of the clouds, the second being the realm of the stars, and the third being the heaven Gods throne is in. Each progressively higher than the other. As I said it is all in ones perspective. Also depending on the time in which you choose to look at. I see the description of a sphere, in that particular version, (KJV).

As I said though, 1 point left to the view of the reader doesn't dismiss the others. 1 true example is enough to prove the point. On many points religious texts had it right long before science did. Though not on everything, but a surprising number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:37 AM

131 posts, read 312,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I have seen on here where many christians seem to imply that scientist are getting together to disprove the bible, that there is some kind of conspiracy going on
Isnt that kind of ironic? If they think people are 'getting together' to disprove the bible then how can they think it to be true in the first place? Fact cannot be disproved :S

Old 01-29-2008, 04:15 AM

58 posts, read 80,813 times
Science is the opposite of the Bible.

Science focuses on the physical world and doesn't mention God, the Bible focus on the spiritual world and mentions God.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Then why do the god followers fear science?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We don't.

No need to fear what God has created, and yes, He created science, scientists, the universe we study, and all creation. All His works are good.

Science operates within the confines of knowledge. Science is limited to what man can think, prove, touch, see, hear.
Believers live beyond the walls of mans finite understanding, and seek what can not be measured, heard, seen, or touched. We call it faith, hope and love... and the greatest of these is love.

God blesses us and Science is a blessing. Neither is opposed to the other... only people (believers and scientists)can be opposed by dogmatic thinking.
When we finally know everything there is to know... Science and the Word of God will be in perfect alignment.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
Look at the Hebrew concept of the 3 heavens. The lowest to highest, the first being the realm of the clouds, the second being the realm of the stars, and the third being the heaven Gods throne is in. Each progressively higher than the other.

Where specifically does the Bible mention "three heavens." Help us out here.

I think you have some reading to do.

The Flat-Earth Bible.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Dave is right, we don't

Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
I don't think you want to go there. This board has seen LOTS of discussion of this one and whether it is reflected in the Bible's text.
I suggest you bring up these threads if you want to discuss this. The way I remember it, they didn't get very far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
We don't.

No need to fear what God has created, and yes, He created science, scientists, the universe we study, and all creation. All His works are good.

Science operates within the confines of knowledge. Science is limited to what man can think, prove, touch, see, hear.
Believers live beyond the walls of mans finite understanding, and seek what can not be measured, heard, seen, or touched. We call it faith, hope and love... and the greatest of these is love.

God blesses us and Science is a blessing. Neither is opposed to the other... only people (believers and scientists)can be opposed by dogmatic thinking.
When we finally know everything there is to know... Science and the Word of God will be in perfect alignment.
Exactly. I have nothing to fear from science! As Dave mentioned, God created it.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I suggest you bring up these threads if you want to discuss this. The way I remember it, they didn't get very far!

There was plenty of evidence cited from the Bible, and it's not surprising that certain Christian fundamentalists don't want to accept that evidence. For a fundamentalist to accept that the Bible's authors presume knowledge by the reader of a flat Earth cosmology would probably severely damage their credibility before today's audience for their teachings.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
There was plenty of evidence cited from the Bible, and it's not surprising that certain Christian fundamentalists don't want to accept that evidence. For a fundamentalist to accept that the Bible's authors presume knowledge by the reader of a flat Earth cosmology would probably severely damage their credibility before today's audience for their teachings.
The "evidence" sited from the Bible "teaching a flat earth" was laughable at best, and grasping at straws at worst.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...cosmology.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...lat-earth.html

What I remember from the thread was that certain fundamentalists didn't recognize that "figures of speech" had been invented in Bible times.

Whether the authors of the Bible thought the earth was flat or not, I don't know... but there is no scientific teaching anywhere in the Bible on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality