Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Since I adore my Father God, Lord, Beloved...I took immediate offense
with the title of this thread.
Naturally, I took a breath and it was gone...the lower ego self still rearing
it's ugly head occasionally.

I hope one day you come to know Him as I do...not
from the limited thinking of this little pea-brain fed input
from these puny, limited senses we were given on this
puny, teeny, little planet we are on in this minor, limited 3rd dimension
at the moment...forming ideas from words written by savage, primitive minds
1000s of years ago.

Reminds me of an ant trying to understand calculus.
We have the ability to understand all the so-called mysteries of creation...but
it will never be with the limited intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 07:05 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrr View Post
Let me share a revelation I had during my time on this planet.

I was brought up a Christian. My mother was a firm believer and took me to church every week without fault. I used to be as firm in my beliefs as her. I prayed and prayed and prayed.

One day my best friend got leukemia. He was a good kid. His parents were good people who sent to church and prayed.

I prayed even more. I got my parents to pray with me, my grandparents, my classmates. We prayed our asses off.

It didn't work. 8 months later I attended his funeral. When I asked the pastor why God allowed it, he said to me that "God worked in mysterious ways" and that Lucas "Had been called to sit next to Jesus".

Strike one. I thought Jesus was an egomaniac.

Sometimes later, Luke's parents lost their business. Then they separated. Then Luke's father got in an accident.
As time went by, I saw more and more good people have all the rotten luck in the world. Bad people got rich, got married, had kids and nothing happened to them.
I prayed and prayed and prayed. It did nothing. Bad luck kept coming to good people.

So I had a revelation. God is either a real dirtbag, seeing his people squirm and enjoying it. Or impotent to stop even the smallest evil.
Not really the type of guy I want to have as a friend.
My conclusion: there is no god. And if there is a god, I don't want anything to do with him.

Since that day, my life has been much easier.
It all makes sense now, doesn't it? If there's no Omnibenevolent Invisible Man controlling the universe, then bad things will occasionally happen.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 AM

689 posts, read 494,657 times
Quote:

I was brought up a Christian. My mother was a firm believer and took me to church every week without fault. I used to be as firm in my beliefs as her. I prayed and prayed and prayed.

One day my best friend got leukemia. He was a good kid. His parents were good people who sent to church and prayed.

I prayed even more. I got my parents to pray with me, my grandparents, my classmates. We prayed our asses off.

It didn't work. 8 months later I attended his funeral. When I asked the pastor why God allowed it, he said to me that "God worked in mysterious ways" and that Lucas "Had been called to sit next to Jesus".

Sometimes later, Luke's parents lost their business. Then they separated. Then Luke's father got in an accident.
As time went by, I saw more and more good people have all the rotten luck in the world. Bad people got rich, got married, had kids and nothing happened to them.
I prayed and prayed and prayed. It did nothing. Bad luck kept coming to good people.

So I had a revelation. God is either a real dirtbag, seeing his people squirm and enjoying it. Or impotent to stop even the smallest evil.
My conclusion: there is no god. And if there is a god, I don't want anything to do with him.

I found it easier once I lost my faith.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:

So because God didn't grant your wishes like a fairy, he doesn't exist. Seen it a million times.

Your friend was sick, and he wanted to end the pain. You selfishly wanted to keep him alive. God saw his prayer as a better one to answer. Instead of getting your family to pray, maybe you could have talked to him more.

Praying is all fine. But did you do anything? It's not a magic trick. Business is suffering, you help them out.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:

So God is synonymous to having luxuries and pleasures in this short life?
If yes, then those "bad guys who got rich" must be believers ?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
So because God didn't grant your wishes like a fairy, he doesn't exist. Seen it a million times.

Your friend was sick, and he wanted to end the pain. You selfishly wanted to keep him alive. God saw his prayer as a better one to answer. Instead of getting your family to pray, maybe you could have talked to him more.

Praying is all fine. But did you do anything? It's not a magic trick. Business is suffering, you help them out.
Translation: pray, but have a backup plan just in case.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 AM

792 posts, read 496,724 times
I will never understand those who both believe in a benevolent omni-max god and his ability to allow children to have horrible terminal diseases. The disconnect is jarring.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
God is not bound to a man's demands .
When one prays with his own demands he is yet in rebellion =sin.
Jesus taught the disciples to pray ,you know the words . the end of the prayer is," Thy will be done". not, my will be done.
When a person has put them self under the Lordship Of Christ, and the Holy Spirit is giving direction ,one's prayer life is so ordered .
David said, delight thy self also in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart .
There is a prerequisite here, Delight your self in the lord, not in your self. If your motivation is selfish God knows it ,you not fooling Him.
Again, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto thine own understanding , and in all they way acknowledge Him, and He shall direct they path."
Your honest investment must come first seeking after God's will, not your own .
Jesus said , not every one that days to me Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he that does the Father's will .
Not even noble deeds done through the use of Jesus name, healing the sick, or casting out demons .
Noble deeds knowing the power of Jesus name is not a relationship .
Obedience to the Holy Spirit Jesus provides, is a relationship .
And obedience can only come of one that has the Holy Spirit in their life .Jesus laid it out just that way.
Jesus told the disciples NOT to be called Rabbi (teacher) Master or father, because Jesus and the Holy Spirit Jesus designated, is their teacher and master and God Is their father .
Your church did not teach you these things, and that's a problem they will face judgment with.
Jeramiah 31;31,32,33,
Matthew 7;21,22,23,
John 14; and 15;
Jesus Lordship will always be at test in a persons life ,the hardest times are when things are going good.
That's the time to be most on your guard .
The hard times that have us on our knees and most humble one tends to seek God much more desperate, and more attentive to His instruction.
If there's one person to be transparent with it's God, because he knows you inside out .

Last edited by arleigh; 09-18-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
I flip a coin and pray for heads. Half the time, my prayer is answered.
I flip a coin and pray for God's choice. The prayer is answered every time.
I pray for an end to the world's suffering. The prayer is never answered.
I can't figure out the prayer thing.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Of course there's the question of if God is not real, how does that make life any easier? One might have an emotional acceptance, but in the end horrible things still happen to people. (Good or bad) In any case, if the God of the Bible is real, while Jesus was here, he was a lot more active than what we are today. Most believe Jesus is our example of how we should live as Christians, but I didn't see Jesus draw blanks or pray a lot for those around him to be made well. Ultimately what I'm saying is, if Christianity is real, then we should be speaking things into existence and seeing results, and not praying only or asking for things that should already be given to us.

Real or not real, if any ever says "God works in mysterious ways", they just don't understand what they're talking about. Again, real or not real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality