Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,867,039 times

Advertisements

By having a connection with God and His instruction ,He can teach one how to pray, and the answer is then with in His will to respond . Prayer them becomes a prophecy .

It is not that, God does not hear , he can't help but hear, God is omnipresent .
Though you hear them, how much attention do you give some one your have objection to ?
And when do you turn your attention to them ?
Usually when they are in some alignment with one's own thinking.
When a person aligns himself with God's thinking ,there is reason to listen attentively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,052,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I will never understand those who both believe in a benevolent omni-max god and his ability to allow children to have horrible terminal diseases. The disconnect is jarring.
So, let's go with your logic. Say, there is no God.
Why some children have "horrible terminal disease"?

Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,867,039 times
God does not often supersede mans actions ,they are left with the consequences that men chose them self.
Men kill other men, God does not stop this either.
According to Jesus heaven is loaded with babies.
I would suppose both those physically immature and those spiritually immature.
It is likely that those babies will have a voice come judgment day, against those that disregarded their value.
If this matters to you , it would be wise to consider that if you have a chemical imbalance and yet choose to have children Knowing this imbalance is likely to show up in them ,there may well be an accounting for it on that day.
God is not bound to time ,and knowing the truth of the matters ,nothing is hidden from Him. And all of eternity to deal with the issues.
On that day there may well be some that have a complaint against me, I had not resolved , God will see to it, that justice is done.
Getting forgiveness from God is one thing , Jesus also made it clear we need forgiveness from men as well.
Those of you that avoid Jesus teaching, should be aware of this.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:07 PM

792 posts, read 491,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So, let's go with your logic. Say, there is no God.
Why some children have "horrible terminal disease"?
I assume you meant "Why DO some children...". The same reason it rains. The same reason there are tsunamis. The same reason bears attack people. It's nature. Nature is cruel, nature does not "care" about us, we just happened to win the lottery of the universe and barely survive on one watery rock in the universe and not one of the other uncountable ones.

Lack of a caring, omnipotent, omniscient would look a lot like the world and universe look today. Innocent 3 years olds get muscular dystrophy. It's almost as if the omnimax god isn't there.

And I'm not talking about parlor tricks or whims and wishes. Innocent children.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,145,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I flip a coin and pray for heads. Half the time, my prayer is answered.
I flip a coin and pray for God's choice. The prayer is answered every time.
I pray for an end to the world's suffering. The prayer is never answered.
I can't figure out the prayer thing.

If all 7+ billion of us said the same prayer for God's Divine Love... the world wouldn't be in this unfortunate predicament.

Truth for all people - The Prayer in English

There would be peace on earth and no suffering.

What do we know? We know we can only change ourselves. We can't impose our will on other people to change and neither does God, our loving Heavenly Father... who isn't Jesus, btw.

God's Divine Love brings peace to our souls in order that we may be able to cope while we're still amongst the living on this messed up planet. It removes worries and fears. It gives us an attitude adjustment and changes us from the inside out.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:10 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,021,333 times
God is either incorrect or impotent.

Or oblivious.

Or uncaring.

Or busy elsewhere.

Or who knows?

Or even, maybe, not.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:17 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,874,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God does not often supersede mans actions ,they are left with the consequences that men chose them self.
Men kill other men, God does not stop this either.
According to Jesus heaven is loaded with babies.
I would suppose both those physically immature and those spiritually immature.
It is likely that those babies will have a voice come judgment day, against those that disregarded their value.
If this matters to you , it would be wise to consider that if you have a chemical imbalance and yet choose to have children Knowing this imbalance is likely to show up in them ,there may well be an accounting for it on that day.
God is not bound to time ,and knowing the truth of the matters ,nothing is hidden from Him. And all of eternity to deal with the issues.
On that day there may well be some that have a complaint against me, I had not resolved , God will see to it, that justice is done.
Getting forgiveness from God is one thing , Jesus also made it clear we need forgiveness from men as well.
Those of you that avoid Jesus teaching, should be aware of this.
If the dork exists, it sure is a real jerk.

Mind you the God of the Bible, and the God of the Koran, are pretty well jerks anyways so its just par for the course.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:26 PM

17,910 posts, read 27,303,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrr View Post
Let me share a revelation I had during my time on this planet.

I was brought up a Christian. My mother was a firm believer and took me to church every week without fault. I used to be as firm in my beliefs as her. I prayed and prayed and prayed.

One day my best friend got leukemia. He was a good kid. His parents were good people who sent to church and prayed.

I prayed even more. I got my parents to pray with me, my grandparents, my classmates. We prayed our asses off.

It didn't work. 8 months later I attended his funeral. When I asked the pastor why God allowed it, he said to me that "God worked in mysterious ways" and that Lucas "Had been called to sit next to Jesus".

Strike one. I thought Jesus was an egomaniac.

Sometimes later, Luke's parents lost their business. Then they separated. Then Luke's father got in an accident.
As time went by, I saw more and more good people have all the rotten luck in the world. Bad people got rich, got married, had kids and nothing happened to them.
I prayed and prayed and prayed. It did nothing. Bad luck kept coming to good people.

So I had a revelation. God is either a real dirtbag, seeing his people squirm and enjoying it. Or impotent to stop even the smallest evil.
Not really the type of guy I want to have as a friend.
My conclusion: there is no god. And if there is a god, I don't want anything to do with him.

Since that day, my life has been much easier.

You can pray your ass off, if you want.

Prayer does not enable you to control the universe. Case in point... God doesn't go around thinking that He's you. Nor is He available to micro-manage your life nor anybody elses.

Sometimes God says "No."

God, if you truly believe such an Entity, has certain attributes. You ought to familiarize yourself with some of them... one's like "Hallowed" for instance. Or not.

If you really want to be free of God, you might start with ceasing to hate on Him. That's the same as letting Him live in your head rent-free.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:18 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,355,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Translation: pray, but have a backup plan just in case.
Well... yes. And no. Ever heard the expression, God helps them who help themselves?

There's a reason why at least a good portion of atheists and ex-Christians are from the fundie church. Besides being overly judgemental, they tend to have a just pray attitude, and then people who try this overly simplistic view find it fails. Almost like fundamentalism was farming people to either fail or become self-righteous hypocrites. Nice work.

Actually though, trusting in God is a partnership. You want to be an NBA player, you pray "God help me be an NBA player" and you practice. God sprains your leg. You either decide, "maybe God is telling me being in the NBA is gonna be more of a challenge than I want" or decide "God is testing me", recover, and use this challenge to be a better player. You might still not get ppicked, but you'll gain a hobby, and later in life become a huge sports fan. You'll find your ideal job through a connection with your boss who also likes sports, and your gf and then wife is a secret fan.

In my experience, this is how God answers prayers, by remaining faithful to God. Faith is not belief. It's holding steady.

And tpam is right. As long as you hate God you are still thinking of God. Either let go, or forgive god. Otherwise, you are just angry and bitter, and nobody wants that. By the way, watch the movie 16 Wishes.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 09-19-2015 at 05:27 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 05:53 AM

9,669 posts, read 9,935,234 times
So did you remove the curse of leukemia fallen angel off your best friend and keep these dark spirit away through the blood of Jesus authority of the believer and did you sow a seed of good faith to Jesus charity for a point of contact and did you cleans the demons of gland disruptor of your best friend hour to hour by the blood of Jesus and have your friend repent and confess Jesus Christ and even get your friend water baptized again to get Jesus complete attention ................ See Jesus has rules which He has to follow to help people ..... then Luke parents lost there business and got separated and the father got into an accident, where they paying weekly charity to Jesus and obeying His commands of love? , as Jesus said he would bring prosperity to those who obey and listen to Him and His lead in the spirit............. See blaming God for the works of the flesh of the devil and falling to obey what Jesus said will get people no where ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality