Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So there is not need when children are starving to death? No need when villages are been burned and people beheaded? No need to stop diseases that kill millions of innocent people every year? Some God ya got there!
Eusie's god is very, very special. Kinda like Eusie himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Eusie's god is very, very special. Kinda like Eusie himself.
And so are you very special.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
THAT was a very brilliant man.

And so, so accurate.
He was a brilliant fool.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
[/b]

Might make sense to you... it's bafflegab to the rest of us.
It makes sense to those who are chosen.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:18 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Well! It appears you are part of the mystery faith then. It existed prior to Christians coopting it in Persia and Rome.

Cool!

Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Epicurus was wrong.

God created evil and controls it.
He is able and willing as the need arises.
He is both able and willing as the need arises.
So one should call Him God.

Isa_45:7 Former of light and Creator of darkness,
Maker of good and Creator of evil.
I, Yahweh Elohim, made all of these things."

God brings about evil that good will come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So there is not need when children are starving to death? No need when villages are been burned and people beheaded? No need to stop diseases that kill millions of innocent people every year? Some God ya got there!
Even though Paul, the apostle believed it, he still took up collections for those in need. And he had the churches help those in need outside the church.

As for diseases, God creates diseases (they don't come from nowhere you know), and raises up men and women to go through the rigors of finding a solution for them.

As for villages being burned and people beheaded, that is also why God raises up armies to defeat those evil ones.

The tree God planted in the garden east of Eden was the tree of the knowledge of good AND evil. Since Adam and Eve partook of that fruit, we have been learning about the two which is what God deemed wise that we do learn. You see the evil and look at it with a microscope and condemn God. I see the good coming from the evil and praise God for such grand wisdom and love.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Well! It appears you are part of the mystery faith then. It existed prior to Christians coopting it in Persia and Rome.

Cool!
I don't get my faith from either Persia or Rome. So what's your point?

Old 09-22-2015, 12:06 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrr View Post
Let me share a revelation I had during my time on this planet.

I was brought up a Christian. My mother was a firm believer and took me to church every week without fault. I used to be as firm in my beliefs as her. I prayed and prayed and prayed.

One day my best friend got leukemia. He was a good kid. His parents were good people who sent to church and prayed.

I prayed even more. I got my parents to pray with me, my grandparents, my classmates. We prayed our asses off.

It didn't work. 8 months later I attended his funeral. When I asked the pastor why God allowed it, he said to me that "God worked in mysterious ways" and that Lucas "Had been called to sit next to Jesus".

Strike one. I thought Jesus was an egomaniac.

Sometimes later, Luke's parents lost their business. Then they separated. Then Luke's father got in an accident.
As time went by, I saw more and more good people have all the rotten luck in the world. Bad people got rich, got married, had kids and nothing happened to them.
I prayed and prayed and prayed. It did nothing. Bad luck kept coming to good people.

So I had a revelation. God is either a real dirtbag, seeing his people squirm and enjoying it. Or impotent to stop even the smallest evil.
Not really the type of guy I want to have as a friend.
My conclusion: there is no god. And if there is a god, I don't want anything to do with him.

Since that day, my life has been much easier.
I see this happening so often and it breaks my heart. A person realizes that God doesn't answer prayers and immediately jumps to the conclusion it must be because there is no God. Why must people jump from one extreme to the other. Why not consider a middle-ground: deism?

Deism holds that there is a God who created this universe and all life in it. That's indisputable, from my point of view. No matter how much atheists insist that life evolved on its own, they still cannot get back to how all the right elements came together to form that first single-cell against impossible odds (1 in 10 to the 150th power or some astronomical number) not to mention having to duplicate and replicate itself and divide itself over and over until we have plant and animal kingdoms emerging billions of years later.

Deism also holds that God set natural laws in motion to govern this world and universe, and thus prayer is not going to have any effect whatsoever in outcome of the situation being prayed for. Little children will continue to be murdered and raped and mangled by explosions in Syria and die of malnutrition in Africa because it's all just part of the natural law of survival of the fittest and man's evil and immoral actions. I can accept all this, cruel as it all sounds and still believe with no problem that at the very beginning of the Big Bang there was a higher power putting it all into motion.

This way I satisfy my senses that something higher than nature is behind it all while at the same time realizing that horrors such as those I've described are going to go on forever because it's just part of the way God designed things. God plays NO part in this world's activities; man is responsible for everything he does and reaps the whirlwind, including extinction if he makes the wrong choices.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:45 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
So said members of the Heaven's Gate cult.

Going to a space ship behind the Hale-Bopp comet wouldn't make sense to anyone else.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:50 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
I don't get my faith from either Persia or Rome. So what's your point?
Then why did you say:

Quote:

When I asked you to explain yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality