Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's baffling why anyone in the 21st Century would use the bible a their source for knowledge and truth.
It is baffling why anyone in the 21st Century would not use the Bible as their source for knowledge and truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is baffling why anyone in the 21st Century would not use the Bible as their source for knowledge and truth.
I can tell you. They do for the same reason that Israel ignored the warnings of Isaiah and the other prophets. They didn't want to do what God said.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Therein lies the problem. They have no problem saying the people back then were not crazy, they were just obeying God. Yet if the same God commanded someone to go kill their child today, those same people would say they were just crazy, and not a real Christian. What is the difference?

My question to people like Vizio is simple. Would you kill your children if god commanded it? Would you kill your neighbor? Would you bomb a country? And how would you know it was really God?
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities: Voltaire

Old 09-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities: Voltaire
Such as the atheist states of Russia killing off millions of its own people or Pol Pot or Communist China.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:30 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I can tell you. They do for the same reason that Israel ignored the warnings of Isaiah and the other prophets. They didn't want to do what God said.
Kids, this is what authoritarianism looks like: obey or else.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Kids, this is what authoritarianism looks like: obey or else.
Or, in the case of Christianity, God saves those that don't obey. He's that good. Even people that hate him and rebel against him are given mercy.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Or, in the case of Christianity, God saves those that don't obey. He's that good. Even people that hate him and rebel against him are given mercy.
Amen to that Vizio!

Old 09-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well. Your dictator god is willing to give "mercy" to non-believing scum like myself. I feel SO much better now.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Such as the atheist states of Russia killing off millions of its own people or Pol Pot or Communist China.

Or Germany in the last century or the killings of Native Americans in the previous two centuries or ethnic cleansing of the Muslims in the former Yugoslavia all by Christians. The examples you provided were all totalarism countries which there are examples from both left and right, religious and non religious, modern and ancient. The desire to control all people lead to destroying those who are precived as any threat to that power and has nothing to do with either a religion or lack thereof or a left right political view so is meaningless in this topic because of that. If we have to be stuck with Pol Pot than you have to get Hitler, neither are examples of anything other than ruthless people in control and wishing to have total control.

As far as knowledge from the Bible, if I want to know anything about geology, the origin of the landscape, how to fix my truck, the best way to cook a chicken, what to do if certain symptons show up with my grandchildren, which breed of dog would suit me best, the ecology of the rainforest, how to vote in the next election the Bible would not be the place to go. The Bible may be the source for your worldview but it is really not the source of knowledge. You may get your wisdom from it but not most of your knowledge unless all you know is Bibical stuff. Which is why you are so often wrong when you bring up anything about science because you do not seem to even go to a science text to see what science thinks about a subject.

If I go in for bypass surgery I hope the doctors are not wondering if they should use the OT or the NT in deciding how to do it.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If I go in for bypass surgery I hope the doctors are not wondering if they should use the OT or the NT in deciding how to do it.
Don't have a heart attack in Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality