Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 03:04 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If you are the drownee or the tortured, I'm sure it would matter to you.
I don't think I'd want to meet you alone in a dark alley. Not without pepper spray or a taser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 03:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
I nearly drowned.

It is exceedingly unpleasant.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don't think I'd want to meet you alone in a dark alley. Not without pepper spray or a taser.
Careful, he just might pull out his manhood to prove his worth.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Tsk, Tsk.

Who would of thunk. A fundie who doesn't read his bible.

Unless of course, you are claiming there were no children and babies in Sodom. Because everyone there was killed.
There couldn't have been any babies or children in Sodom because Sodomites were all gays. That's why God killed them all. Oops! Did I just say God killed them all?

Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
There couldn't have been any babies or children in Sodom because Sodomites were all gays. That's why God killed them all. Oops! Did I just say God killed them all?
He let Lot and his daughters live.

They had babies to make.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
He let Lot and his daughters live.

They had babies to make.
I don't think you meant that the way it sounds.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There you go again with your blanket dismissals, misstating and extracting my words out of their context.
There you go again with your blanket falsehoods about what I have said and done. None of the above from you accurately represents what I have done or am doing.

Quote:
We have NO definitive evidence whether or not there is a God, except for the inexplicable existence of EVERYTHING.
The "except" there is false because the existence of everything is not evidence there is a god. For someone who pretends to know about philosophy you would imagine you would at least know what begging the question is - and avoid the fallacy at least once. The existence of everything is the fact that requires explanation for us. The fact itself is the question, not the evidence. So stop pretending otherwise when you know better and simply hope others don't - when they do.

Quote:
You prefer not to attribute that existence to anything and accept our ignorance about it as sufficient.
If you are going to presume to tell me what I think - at least attempt to get it right. Especially when you have multiple times in the past presented this error and had it corrected. So at this point your repetition of the falsehood and error can be nothing more than willful. But I am happy to correct your wilful and contrived error - in the same way as I have done before.

Firstly I prefer not to attribute our existence to _anything_ without evidence. That is not even a preference - it is honesty. I simply am not in the business of aligning myself with explanations people have merely invented based on nothing.

Secondly I do not find it "sufficient" - I merely accept it as a fact and do not try to hide from facts like you do. I do not need to simply make things up to gloss over acknowledgement of the fact of our ignorance - instead I - and other actual scientists not pretend ones - acknowledge our ignorance as a fact and use that fact to drive us to combat that ignorance by attempting to answer the questions. And we do not simply invent answers to sustain us in the interim merely to make us feel better.

Quote:
I do not because my experiences led me to know that there IS a God.
Your experience led you to think that - and I do not care about that. If that is what you think - so be it - nothing to do with me. I would never challenge you on it - nor have I. As the saying goes "You are entitled to your own opinion - not your own facts" and if your opinion is that there is a god - you will get no argument from me - but when you then claim that current science supports your opinion - you have made a factual (and false) claim and I will happily take you up on THAT.

You claim time and time again that science supports - makes credible - or is consistent with the opinions you hold. This is simply a falsehood and you have not supported said opinions with any science - ever. So if you want to repeat opinions - you will get no argument or replies from me - but when you make direct factual claims of that nature - you will.

There is - for example - nothing whatsoever in science at this time that supports your opinion that human consciousness can survive the death of the brain.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I don't think you meant that the way it sounds.
I meant it exactly as it sounds.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Do you have any idea how terrible and painful drowning is? While I have never experienced it firsthand, I have a friend of mine that almost died of drowning, and the way he described it, it might as well be torture.
There are cases where people drowned and were resuscitated and they said drowning was very peaceful.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
There are cases where people drowned and were resuscitated and they said drowning was very peaceful.
I heard water boarding is pretty peaceful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality