Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 07:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
All smiling people have it
I have to disagree...I look at my joking, smiling chiropractor and
all I see is his pain...same with Robin Williams...he would break my heart...
all I saw for decades was his pain.*

A glow is in the eyes...with no visible smile from the mouth.

*I saw pain and compassion
and goodness in Robin W, but never joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:14 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're right, we do. Elder Marion D. Hanks (an LDS General Authority who died in 2011) had a framed statement on his wall which said: "To believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair, and that there will be wonderful surprises." Think of that quote when you find yourself thinking too much.
I have to say that me gut reaction is to see that as an exhortation to believe something which (a) is demonstrably untrue and (b) is demonstrably untrue as regards this life and (c) without any valid support as regards the next.

To say that the believer is happier than the unbeliever is no more than to say the drunkard is happier than one who is sober. I'm afraid that one will counter the appeal to turn off the brain when it threatens to operate outside the circumscribed parameters of faith.

It is better to know the evils that your country have done than go around blissfully believing that it is perfect and never did any wrong.

It is not always going to make you happier, but the truth is always better. It is the individual choice of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have to disagree...I look at my joking, smiling chiropractor and
all I see is his pain...same with Robin Williams...he would break my heart...
all I saw for decades was his pain.*

A glow is in the eyes...with no visible smile from the mouth.

*I saw pain and compassion
and goodness in Robin W, but never joy.
I'll take it that you know that he has pain and not that he is just not a believer and so must be in pain of course.

But poor old Robin Williams. He was brilliant as Mork, and after that never really found something. I did not like Good Morning America nor the Dead poets society. But that wasn't his fault. He was good as the robot, though.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-03-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're right, we do. Elder Marion D. Hanks (an LDS General Authority who died in 2011) had a framed statement on his wall which said: "To believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair, and that there will be wonderful surprises." Think of that quote when you find yourself thinking too much.
Except the rules are not fair ... they are anything but.

In fact, the rules are most decidedly UNfair.

Not to mention arbitrary, capricious, sadistic, and immoral.

As I said some time ago, I would be far and away more miserable with the constant pain I feel if I believed in God. Atheism saved my sanity.

Because if a God really existed and this God was supposed to be benevolent, I would have to ask, "Why must I be tortured by my own body?" I would HAVE to ask that, and I would be ticked off that God isn't healing me. Or that God inflicted me with this condition to begin with.

If you believe there is an intelligence behind the things that happen to us, then it becomes absolutely impossible to rectify the pain and suffering with an intelligent, benevolent, and loving God. Knowing that there is no one responsible, no one to blame, and no one capable of curing me, then I can live with it in peace. If I believed in God, then every morning when I wake up in agony would be a bitter, bitter disappointment.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 AM

1,273 posts, read 991,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Wait...are you trying to say that the Community of Christ isn't mormon?
That's right. They are not. Just like Lutherans aren't Catholic.
Only members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are "Mormon." Call a CC church member Mormon and they are liable to sock you.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
That's right. They are not. Just like Lutherans aren't Catholic.
Only members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are "Mormon." Call a CC church member Mormon and they are liable to sock you.
And likewise, only Christians are Christians.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
And likewise, only Christians are Christians.
Huh?

What does that have to do with what I just said?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Huh?

What does that have to do with what I just said?
Who gets to decide who a mormon is?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Who gets to decide who a mormon is?
We do. Lol. Plus we prefer LDS anyway. Mormon was a prophet. We don't worship Mormon, we worship Christ

Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
We do. Lol. Plus we prefer LDS anyway. Mormon was a prophet. We don't worship Mormon, we worship Christ
You're fairly new so....free info. Viz is a fundamentalist who thinks Mormons aren't Christians. (Silly, I know but it is what it is.) He gets his info about the LDS church from anti-LDS sites like CARM. He likes to debate LDS by lifting info from the CARM site, which is dumb as that info is often wrong or incomplete. Katzpur spends a lot of time correcting him. She does a very good job.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Ahhhhh. I'll leave it to her then.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality