Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 AM

652 posts, read 2,659,658 times

Advertisements

thanks so much for the help everyone! Since it is not a "real" church I'm not sure if I will try it or not. But it certainly never hurts to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,197,957 times
If your husband was interested in the Baptist church how about just trying a different one than the one you previously attended. Each pastor has their own way of doing things and you might find one that is a better fit. I am in the process of joining a lutheran church right now. My Uncle attends a different church on the other end of town and the two are vastly different. The one we chose is a better fit for us.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,068,425 times
We all must make our own decisions, and they hopefully are based on facts. The Unitarian Church is hardly not a church. Here's a link to one of the finest in New England that I attended with some regularity:

http://www.firstunitarianprov.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
thanks so much for the help everyone! Since it is not a "real" church I'm not sure if I will try it or not. But it certainly never hurts to try.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM

255 posts, read 607,283 times
I attended a UU church for several years, and I'd still be attending now if we hadn't moved out of state. My UU preacher gave the best sermons I've heard, although she tended to quote more from other sources than from the Bible.

I strongly agree with those who said you should check out the congregation for yourself, because they do vary quite a bit from one another.

In my experience, most UUs are socially liberal, and nowadays that often translates into being Democrat. If you are in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act, for example, a UU church is probably not for you.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM

21,951 posts, read 19,073,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
It is a real church. What do you mean?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
If your husband was interested in the Baptist church how about just trying a different one than the one you previously attended. Each pastor has their own way of doing things and you might find one that is a better fit. I am in the process of joining a lutheran church right now. My Uncle attends a different church on the other end of town and the two are vastly different. The one we chose is a better fit for us.
the problem is he doesent care about the religion, he wants the atmosphere. I think he is only willing to go with me now because of the kids, the neighbors, meeting friends, and I have been asking him (nicely) for years. In one day at church I realized the babtist religion is very different from methodist. Not saying that I plan on sticking with that religion either but there are certain things that are embeded in me.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
It is a real church. What do you mean?
I'm sorry, hopefully I did not offend anyone. that was not my intention. I guess what I meant was the traditional messages from the bible songs about the lord, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality