Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,545 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have never posted on this forum, but am hoping to get some insight. I have heard "Unitarian Universalist" a few times in the last couple of months and I am unsure as to exactly what it is. I have recently moved to texas and have been looking for a "laid back" church. I grew up Methodist but honestly consider the 2 churches I checked out to be very boring. On the other hand the Baptist churches are fun but I dont necessarily believe in everything they preach. My DH believes there might be a higher power and is finally willing to go to church with me. anyway I am wondering what exactly is "unitarian universalist". The little bit I read on them seems to be they are very easy going and adress all religions? could this be right for us?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
In my experience, it's kind of hard to generalize UU congregations. I've been to some who address all religions equally and I've been to some who focus more heavily on Judaism (as in one was led by a former Rabbi) and others that focus on Christianity. They are very welcoming of all faiths and I tend to think of it more as a club than a religion. Others may disagree with me. :P You rarely find two people with the same beliefs in a UU congregation which is great- people are openminded and willing to learn about spirituality in general.

The one I attended the most was mostly made up of Jews, atheists, and agnostics- many who grew up in Christian homes. You really have to check out the individual church for yourself. Your husband might enjoy it. However, if you are looking for a church with actual Christian doctrine, it is probably not what you are looking for.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Yeah I agree with Charolastra00. It's my understanding that the UU belief is basically 'Whatever'

There is no 'right' and there is no 'wrong', just whatever works for you.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM

66 posts, read 185,588 times
I agree with the previous poster who said that it's hard to generalize UU Churches. The two I've been to in the West were very laid back and very welcoming to people of all faiths. The main philosophy that I've picked up is that every human being has inherent worth and dignity and should be treated as such. UU's tend to care about the environment and work towards social justice. Our church always alerts the members about activities going on in the community that may be of interest... trash pickups, mentoring opportunites, etc.

The UU Church I went to in Mass. seemed to be a little more activism-oriented and the one I went to in NH focused more on Christianity. I know that we sought out our UU church here in Eastern Washington because it seemed to be the best way to meet other people who were liberal in a very conservative place. When we lived back East we were surrounded by lots of other liberals so we really didn't need to go to a church to meet them. I can understand why the previous poster thinks of it as a "club."

The only thing I can say was the same in all the UU churches I've been to is that the people were exceptionally nice and very used to people "trying the church out" for a few Sundays. I hope you have luck finding something that fits!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 AM

thanks everyone. this sounds like something my husband would really like but not so sure about me. do they actually preach from the Bible? I saw on a couple of websites that they have "preachers".
I am now in the "Bible belt" (texas) and most people I have met are not very easy going when it comes to religion. Within 1-3 questions I am asked about the church I go to. My hubby liked the Baptist church and says that it doesnt matter if they believe and preach something I dont agree with.
Anyway, I thought this might be the "middle ground" for us but maybe not.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM

66 posts, read 185,588 times
Our UU churches have had pastors, but there is usually not too much "preaching" from the bible. I think the church in NH usually had a bible verse in each service. Our current church may have a passage from the bible if it corresponds to what the sermon for the day is, or they may use passages from other sources. I know we've had quotations from the Dalai Lama before. Our church did do the nativity play for Christmas, but at the end the minister summed everything up by saying the story was important because Jesus grew up to be a great teacher and an example to others. I think they did a decent job of keeping the trinity out of it for those who don't believe in that, but kept the nativity scene for those who like a more traditional service. I grew up going to very laid back UCC and Methodist churches in the East and my views are always changing and expanding, but I've never found anything offensive to my beliefs in the UU Church. They really do try to include everyone.

I understand what you mean about being asked "if you've found a church yet." We get that all the time here. Most of the people here are genuinely interested and don't seem to be put out at all when I tell them that we go to a UU church. I have been asked to a MOPS playgroup and am attempting to find a way out of it without offending the very nice woman who asked me. I went on their web site and their mission is just a little too "preach the gospel" for me.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
My experience is that it is more of a gathering of people with different religious philosophies in order to share ideas and have the fellowship and support of like minded people. I don't think believing in God is even a requirement....more of a spiritual "church of whatever you feel like".

Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM

okay, I have done a few more minutes of "research" and I am reading a few things relating it to "religious Liberals". call me naive.... but does this mean everyone is to the far left or democrats? My hubby would definetly NOT fit in if thats the case. I am really confused. It shouldnt be this hard to find a church.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
I doubt that all UUs are democrats, or far left, but many may be as it is a spiritual practice more than a religious organisation and draws from a wide range of those estranged from their own church. Acceptance is key among Unitarians, but the basic philosophy is based on Christianity. Although one poster mentioned a former Rabbi running a church, I believe that may be an exception.

I've attended quite a few Unitarian Churchs--in New England and one in Philadelphia--and all were unique in a positive way.

The only way you will know if it is right for you and your husband is to go to several of the services and experience it yourselves.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,210,182 times
The Unitarian congregations I've attended over some 10+ years include a lot of "recovering Catholics" and others who felt the oppression and rules and judgment of many Christian churches was "not for them." No doctrine for Unitarians, all faiths are welcome, and all people are welcome, and all paths of worship are seen as valid.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a church home for the people or music or classes or social groups if that is what makes it feel like "home" to you. Doesn't have to be for doctrine. Everyone is welcome and no one is EVER judged at UU.

The emphasis is not really political (as in conservative or liberal) but there is a strong human emphasis, such as support for global human improvement relief. I have found geographically a HUGE variation, I'm told some of the UUs in the Boston area are quite old-school, while the ones I went to in northern California and Washington were more creative and fun and artistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality