Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,304,445 times

Advertisements

Someone believes that I have been posting vile and disgusting comments about Christians on these forums. If I have I am unaware of doing so. I am soliciting your comments and examples of me doing so in order to mend my ways if I am indeed guilty of that or to be able to be content to ignore the accusation if my fellow posters do not think I have posted vile and disgusting comments about Christians.

Thanks and be honest about it either wsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:12 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,606,076 times
Two possibilities emerge - either I need a new dictionary, or someone's just got a personal vendetta against you because you keep stomping them in arguments.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that to some fundies, simply saying "evolution is a scientific fact" in and of itself constitutes "vile and disgusting." So who knows? But to a rational person who understands the definitions of the words "vile and disgusting," there simply is no there there.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,600,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Someone believes that I have been posting vile and disgusting comments about Christians on these forums. If I have I am unaware of doing so. I am soliciting your comments and examples of me doing so in order to mend my ways if I am indeed guilty of that or to be able to be content to ignore the accusation if my fellow posters do not think I have posted vile and disgusting comments about Christians.

Thanks and be honest about it either wsy.
Awww. Did someone get the vapors from something you wrote?
You would be the very first person to write a vile and disgusting comment about anyone here.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:20 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,597,187 times
Bottom line is that, if it steps over the line, the Mods will step in. or if they don't, the Christians are welcome to go and find a forum where their delicate sensibilities will not be offended.

I am the nicest guy you could wish to meet, but I called Pope Francis a flat - nosed bastard. which presumably could be seen as offensive by a number of Catholics. I will try not to let that fact upset me. Because the grandstanding ('scuse me ) idiot or hypocrite...as usual I am never sure which... offends me so much with his poncing around with his medieval mummery and ludicrous superstitions as a platform for his tiny -minded chickens for the peons line (which might work in some parts of South America, but not here) that -to take his line on Charlie Hebdo, he Has it Coming.

I think the best response was Matt D's when a caller got all huffy when he asked why the Moderator cut: bleep she had phoned up at all.

Ok we know words cause offence, but they are just words and if we don't know what they mean we should find out and I suspect that getting all offended at abuse or tough talk is either small mindedness or a way of scoring points where they are losing on every other front, like starting a row or playing the Ad Hom card, or trying to change the subject.

As always, the answer is to focus on the issues, not the tone of voice or the ploys, except not to fall for it. So the response to those offended by what we say, as the war correspondent said to the incompetent general "If you don't like me writing about what you do - don't do it!"

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-27-2015 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: language

Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,103,670 times
Good journalists always consider the source.

If someone considers your posts to be vile and disgusting they are obviously an idiotic source. Stupid cannot be fixed, as we see here daily via some of the pronouncements fundamentalists extract from their posteriors.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,099,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

I am the nicest guy you could wish to meet, but I called Pope Francis a flat - nosed bastard. which presumably could be seen as offensive by a number of Catholics.
That surprised me, AREQUIPA. But, I've never thought what you post is vile or disgusting. If that's what you're going for you'll have to step it up a notch.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,099,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good journalists always consider the source.
This. If someone you respect is calling you vile and disgusting....it's probably time for some self-examination.

But several conservative posters on this forum make that accusation in an attempt to silence the opposition. IMHO, They use it to try and make people feel guilty for what they post. Which is often nothing more than disagreeing with the conservatives. They don't make an intelligent response. They say, "That's vile and disgusting" then take their ball and go home. Or put you on ignore.

One more thought: The worst posts I've seen are aimed at Muslims. There are far-right conservatives on this forum, who make a big deal out of being Christians, who have out-right lied about Muslims and Islam. It's not uncommon for them to link all Muslims with fundamentalist terrorists. I think that is vile and disgusting.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-27-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That surprised me, AREQUIPA. But, I've never thought what you post is vile or disgusting. If that's what you're going for you'll have to step it up a notch.
if I get any more crap from windows 10 I might do that. As for Pope Francis (1)..I saw a sideways photo and I have never seen such a flat nose outside of the boxing ring or an exhibit on human evolution.

Of course he is no more to blame for his flat nose than I am for my pointed head. And I expect he is a nice guy. But he is unfortunately at the apex of a lot of my beefs about the whole catholic range of claims, the ongoing battle against -anything pretty much, the creation of a wad of faked saints that I try to regard as just let them have fun. But it sticks in my throat, somehow. And really obnoxious handling of the whole peado cover up, the diabolically bad response to the shooting of Charlie Hebdo, and every time he says something that I might approve he says something that makes me want to poke him in the eye.

That 'He is trying so hard and doing so bad' might be ok, but so many people who should know better think he is the best thing since Pope potato. And I may be a cynical bastard (Indeed I have had this confirmed) but I don't see this as about really working for obtaining world peace or feeding the poor. It is about bums on cathedral seats.

I have said before that I do not like being bamboozled and bamboozlement is what this smirking smarm in a beany -hat is doing. When it comes down to it, it like like seeing someone doing a highly publicized prayer session and, as the heathens observe, it is a way of telling yourself you are doing something while actually doing nothing. But what this does is bamboozle everyone into thinking what a nice guy he is. And he may be a nice guy but - as usual - the tenets of belief make everything he does a sham, a fraud and shot through with social toxins.

P.s I was a bit surprised myself and I had to talk it out about why he gets up my nose so much. But I'll tell you, I saw a couple of sites about the 'marxist pope' and I wasn't ready by buy their bullcrap either.

(1) I only changed it from 'Frankie' to 'Francis' because my 'demonization' - alert light started flashing, but as soon as I changed it to 'Francis' my bullcrap - buzzer went off.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-27-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 10:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,119,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
if I get any more crap from windows 10 I might do that. As for Pope frankie..I saw a sideways photo and I have never seen such a flat nose outside of the boxing ring or an exhibit on human evolution.

Of course he is no more to blame for his flat nose than I am for my pointed head. And I expect he is a nice guy. But he unfortunately at the apex of a lot of my beefs about the whole catholic range of claims, the ongoing battle against -anything pretty much, the creation of a wad of faked saints that I try to regard as just let them have fun. But it sticks in my throat, somehow. And really obnoxious handling of the whole pedo cover up, the wretched response to the shooting of Charlie Hebdo and every time he says something that I might approve he says something that makes me want to poke him in the eye.

That 'He is trying so hard and doing so bad' might be ok, but so many people who should know better think he is the best thing since Pope potato. And I may be a cynical bastard (Indeed I have had this confirmed) but I don't see this as about really working for obtaining world peace or feeding the poor. It is about bums on cathedral seats.

I have said before that I do not like being bamboozled and bamboozlement is what this smirking smarm in a beany -hat is doing. When it comes down to it, it like like seeing someone doing a highly publicized prayer session and as the heathens observe, it is a way of telling yourself you are doing something while actually doing nothing. But what this does is bamboozle everyone into thinking what a nice guy he is. And he may be a nice guy but - as usual - the tenets of belief make everything he does a sham, a fraud and shot through with social toxins.

Why do you continue to discuss something that is so offensive to you then?
Do you thrive on the attention?
Do you have a need for the self induced dramatics?

Bottom line, what you have to say about what someone believes means as much to them as what they say about what you believe means to you except a lot of us do not require the attention or dramatics and do not really care what you think.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why do you continue to discuss something that is so offensive to you then?
Do you thrive on the attention?
Do you have a need for the self induced dramatics?
When you get to my age, you want the attention. But I mentioned a number of points (the Mod bleeped one..I thought I'd get away with misspelling it ) and Dewdroop picked me up on one and - as I said, had to analyze just what was irritating me about it.

Quote:
Bottom line, what you have to say about what someone believes means as much to them as what they say about what you believe means to you except a lot of us do not require the attention or dramatics and do not really care what you think.
Then I am inclined to ask why you feel the need to discuss it.

"Basically Pope Francis is a scented candle in an outhouse, and people can’t stop talking about how good the toilet smells
."
Don?t Let Pope Francis Fool You ? It?s the Same Old Catholic Church - Mic

However, I'll say this: I have no monoply on being right. I am willing to be proved wrong. But there he is thumping Right -wing Fundies and Liberals cheering him to the skies. The man who excused Islamic assassins. There's something screwy about this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality