Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:26 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thankfully not all denominations are archaic holdovers from the past and in many churches a woman's place is in the pulpit.
It's progress. Why should only men be allowed to do the bullying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 01:28 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Most religions are created in patriarchal societies and their religions reflect that. They use their religions to keep women as second class citizens. Personally, I think it is because many of these men fear women so they have to keep them repressed.

My religion is one of the few matriarchal religions. That is not to say that men are not treated as equals. We worship the same Goddess.

Cat

Old 09-30-2015, 01:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Chest-thumping male-dominated denominations. The women are told to keep quiet, keep sweet and keep house.

Thankfully not all denominations are archaic holdovers from the past and in many churches a woman's place is in the pulpit.
Nevermind that any woman that is "in the pulpit" is going directly against what God has commanded....

Old 09-30-2015, 01:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Nevermind that any woman that is "in the pulpit" is going directly against what God has commanded....
There are denominations that disagree with your interpretation of the Bible. They have strong, intelligent women in the pulpit preaching the gospel and ministering to people.

Just not YOUR denomination. Whatever that is......

Old 09-30-2015, 01:37 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:

What men wants God to command. That is the point I was making. Religions are use to repress women.

Cat

Old 09-30-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
What men wants God to command. That is the point I was making. Religions are use to repress women.

Cat
If that's your view, fine. But God has stated that a requirement to be a pastor is that one must be a man. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
There are denominations that disagree with your interpretation of the Bible. They have strong, intelligent women in the pulpit preaching the gospel and ministering to people.

Just not YOUR denomination. Whatever that is......
And they are wrong. It's not difficult to understand that a pastor should be the "husband of one wife". In the context, it means that the pastor must be....a husband. Since a "husband" cannot be a woman, it's clear that he should first be male. This has nothing to do with sexism, it's what God has stated.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
If that's your view, fine. But God has stated that a requirement to be a pastor is that one must be a man. I'm sorry if that offends you.
Yes, because god knew that to be a really good preacher requires testicles.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:48 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
And they are wrong. It's not difficult to understand that a pastor should be the "husband of one wife". In the context, it means that the pastor must be....a husband. Since a "husband" cannot be a woman, it's clear that he should first be male. This has nothing to do with sexism, it's what God has stated.
Do you realize how stupid this sounds to most people? Do you honestly believe that only men are able to do that job? Only men are able to preach/interpret the Bible?

Who am I kidding, look who I'm talking to.... a male preacher who claims to know God's every wish. I retract the statement.

To the OP, it is very simple, and others have stated it already. Because men wrote all of it (made it up), so they wrote it to their advantage. Just look at Vizio, who thinks women are second class citizens, for proof of that.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:52 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is not being put on a pedestal, as there are no demands that go along with it. it in no way objectifies a person. it simply recognizes that the character traits valued and treasured in Judaism come easier for women, than they do for men. I don't see how you can label that harmful, any more than those who have graduated from college with a degree are harmed by having proficiency in a given area.
What is "exalting" women if not putting them on a pedestal?

I don't doubt that the teaching is well intentioned but to me it just plays into the same dynamic that informs romantic love. It produces both some of our most noble and soaring ideals and describes our deepest yearnings, but the flip side ... the inability of mere mortals to live up to such idealizing, the ultimate resentment of it, and the unwillingness of many men to take back their projections as a relationship matures ... is a hellish price to pay for it.

I don't have any problem acknowledging that women have unique strengths (and weaknesses) ... nor in acknowledging that about men. But if men have a harder time attaining the virtues valued by Judaism, IMO Judaism would be better served determining why that is and correcting for it than in just assuming it is inherent in the gender of half the human race. My hypothesis is that if you could correct for social and cultural conditioning and make men AND women all that they can be, you would not need all these tropes to explain these supposedly inherent differences in emotion and intuition between men and women.

In my view, chuckling indulgently about the emotional and intuitional cluelessness and clumsiness of men is also a roundabout way of letting them off the hook so they don't have to become more emotionally aware or empathetic. It is like how we used to chuckle indulgently about women's silly emotional extremes and difficulty seeing things objectively. Just as we have discovered that women can lead corporations or nations, maybe we can decide that men can be nurturing, supportive and emotionally present for people no less than women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality