Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I post that I feel the world would be better off without religion, and that is what I would prefer...and you interpret that as, "agreeing with" it and "fighting for" it!? THAT is what I find weird.
I take exception to any bias or prejudice....and the only thing I hate is "hate".
What would you think of people that go to a website titled for any other type of people...race, ethnicity, or some common identifying characteristic...and pointing to surveys that note a decline in the number of those people in some area and shouting, "HOORAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!"? Then put up posts insulting and mocking them, both in general and individually.
Imagine going to a website that has a board for "Asian Culture and Traditions"...and put up THOUSANDS of posts, over the course of YEARS mocking and insulting Asian culture and traditions on that website. What would you think of that?
This board is "Religion and Spirituality" (formerly, Religion & Philosophy). I came here off a link on a random search. I'd never participated in any internet board in my life. What I've found here over these years is as much insulting, mocking, bashing, and hating as I have ever seen toward another group. The Westboro Bap crew insults homosexuals no more than the antireligious here insult and mock religion. Yet, I'm sure they would both see the other as messed up. I'm kinda like the guy revving up a loud motorcycle while the Westboro crew are shouting their insults. I have admitted many times that I do get a twisted enjoyment and amusement out of it. Do a search under my member name for "Initiated Amusement", you'll see.
I saw what you posted. My point remains the same. Every time I see you post, it is FOR the religious side in one way or another. Whether that is agreeing with that sides argument, or posting links for that side. If you were actually irreligious, or felt "the world would be better off without religion, and that is what I would prefer", then why do you seem to always side with the religious? Just seems odd is all. No need to get testy.

Yes, we do, by your logic, "insult and mock religion". You know why? You should, being all irreligious and all. It is because these people are intent on trying to take away the rights of fellow American citizens. It is because they are intent on trying to turn this country into a theocracy. It is because we call out illogical things, and we aren't shy about it. The same way people "insult and mock" those who believe Sandy Hook was faked, or that they were abducted by aliens. If people want to "insult and mock" atheist and the non religious for whatever reason, they are free to do so. I will then point out their inaccuracies, and be accused of "insulting and mocking" them. Well, so be it.

FYI, I don't hate anyone. I will never tell a sincere everyday Christian they are an idiot, or their beliefs are stupid. You know why? Because everyday Christians aren't trying to force that belief upon myself of anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I wouldn't describe South Korea as a cesspool. It's quite modern. And like 30% of the population are Christians.
There are always outliers Jeff. There are even outliers in less religious countries, such as Azerbaijan and Vietnam.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
And explain to me why you seem to enjoy bashing Christians? Tell me, how does that improve your life one iota? Tell me how does a person who is paralyzed from the neck down and can't even use the bathroom without help live their life honorably? The only thing they have to look forward to is the day they suddenly no longer exist in your world. Completely meaningless life.
Apparently we are not going to receive an explanation for this rather odd post. I'd just like to say I've known quadriplegics. I attended college with men who came back from Vietnam as quads. The were in regular classes, participated in student activities and graduated with degrees. (I learned many quad and paraplegics have wicked senses of humor from those men, most of whom were in their 20's. They took **** from no one about their situation and needled each other about it endlessly. I learned as much from them as I did sitting in some classes.) I've had quads as friends. I've worked with quads. They have lives and jobs and families and drive and go to the beach and do most of the things the rest of us do. Including have sex.

If Jeff is implying they do not live their lives honorably.... that's not true. If Jeff is saying their lives are meaningless... that's not true either.

If Jeff believes atheist quadriplegics have lives with nothing to look forward to.... he needs to familiarize himself with Stephen Hawking. A man I once had the pleasure of seeing at Disneyland. He was with his family and rolling through Tomorrowland with a Mickey Mouse balloon tied to the back of his wheelchair. He was obviously enjoying himself. Turns out Hawking is a huge Disneyland fan and has made many trips to the park beginning with his days at Caltech.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-06-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Apparently we are not going to receive an explanation for this rather odd post. I'd just like to say I've known quadriplegics. I attended college with men who came back from Vietnam as quads. The were in regular classes, participated in student activities and graduated with degrees. (I learned many quad and paraplegics have wicked senses of humor from those men, most of whom were in their 20's. They took **** from no one about their situation and needled each other about it endlessly. I learned as much from them as I did sitting in some classes.) I've had quads as friends. I've worked with quads. They have lives and jobs and families and drive and go to the beach and do most of the things the rest of us do. Including have sex.

If Jeff is implying they do not live their lives honorably.... that's not true. If Jeff is saying their lives are meaningless... that's not true either.

If Jeff believes atheist quadriplegics have lives with nothing to look forward to.... he needs to familiarize himself with Stephen Hawking. A man I once had the pleasure of seeing at Disneyland. He was with his family and rolling through Tomorrowland with a Mickey Mouse balloon tied to the back of his wheelchair. He was obviously enjoying himself. Turns out Hawking is a huge Disneyland fan and has made many trips to the park beginning with his days at Caltech.
Ok let me diffuse this right now because I know you are just so eager to jump down my throat at any chance and I'm not going to hear the end of it. The point I was trying to make is someone who lives in a chronic untreatable condition with an atheistic world view is going to feel screwed by the random cards of life as their quality of life is diminished and there's nothing that will improve that quality until the day they die. So what hope can atheism provide them huh? I can speak from personal experience as I suffer from a particular chronic condition that can drive people to suicide. We had a member in our support group just last week end his life. He apparently lost all hope. And the advice from doctors? Learn to live with it.

Now I don't know any quads personally so I'll admit that I was speaking out of ignorance about their exact quality of life and my honorable comment was a bad choice of words. I apologize if it offended anyone.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You still put up thread after thread trying to skew the truth about the embrace of religion in this world by only putting up stuff that takes in only 5% of the world population.
Quit misrepresenting what those posts are about. They ALWAYS clearly indicate the source... ALWAYS. And if that source happens to relate to the USA, so be it. Most do. Some are more widespread.

So quit saying I lie or misrepresent. I don't.

Just because you try and deflect the discussion to a different set of circumstances, and regularly bring up China, does not change the FACTS I bring out.

If you think I do, then show me factual and real information about the same political, cultural or geographic area I am discussing. Otherwise, your deflection is just a weak attempt at debate, and not a very good one.

Just ask the Southern Baptist Conference if my observations are accurate; their OWN studies indicate the same, and I have posted on that. And will continue to. I really don't care who gets their panties in a knot about it either.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No, when I see posts like The Bible or God is barbaric, God is a fairy tale and celebrating the destruction of faith, that is an attack on Christianity as a whole.
Yes, it probably is. So? Christianity is just an idea, and ideas deserve no, none, nada, respect.

It is not an attack on a person.

Quote:
We don't feel the need to present a false reality. I'll easily admit that my life is far from roses and flowers, but I'm thankful that I have God to help me through the tough times.
Glad whatever your brand of faith is works for you. Others deal with realities in rational ways, which may not include invisible magical entities.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I call it as a I see and it's obvious to most level headed people that this forum is vastly anti-Christian and you are a major contribution of that trend. Just look at the current negative threads on the front page here:

Death Of 185,000 Assyrian Troops Cannot Be Explained Historically

The Bible--barbaric.

Bible contradiction: Mattew 5:17-18 versus Hebrew 8 (priest, gospels, quote, faith)

Unlike Kim Davis, Pope had a PRIVATE meeting with Same Sex Couple (Multi-page thread 1 2)

OK 10 Commandments to disappear (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

I like the story of Jesus, but I just don't believe it (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

The NT gospels are full of lies. (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

Sweet Cakes raised $500K; refuse to pay lesbian couple
Any of that not reality?

It ALL is. And for some reason, that gets your goat. Oh well.

I'll stay with reality and reason. BTW, I did not start all of those threads.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Are you celebrating the decline of religion?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

and YES!!!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Ok let me diffuse this right now because I know you are just so eager to jump down my throat at any chance and I'm not going to hear the end of it.
I am not eager to jump down your throat. I am VERY eager to refute lies and misconceptions about the para and quadriplegic community. Rather than having to respond to posts such as yours I would prefer nonsense about para and quads wasn't posted by people who know nothing about their situation. It does them a grievous mis-service.

Thank you for the explanation and apology.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:34 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Ok let me diffuse this right now because I know you are just so eager to jump down my throat at any chance and I'm not going to hear the end of it. The point I was trying to make is someone who lives in a chronic untreatable condition with an atheistic world view is going to feel screwed by the random cards of life as their quality of life is diminished and there's nothing that will improve that quality until the day they die. So what hope can atheism provide them huh? I can speak from personal experience as I suffer from a particular chronic condition that can drive people to suicide. We had a member in our support group just last week end his life. He apparently lost all hope. And the advice from doctors? Learn to live with it.

Now I don't know any quads personally so I'll admit that I was speaking out of ignorance about their exact quality of life and my honorable comment was a bad choice of words. I apologize if it offended anyone.
I'm sure some people living with a miserable chronic condition *do* feel screwed by life. But then there are plenty of people not living with such a condition who feel screwed by life as well.

Also, I'd just note that a person living with a miserable condition that god refuses to heal might prefer feeling screwed by "the random cards of life" rather than feeling screwed by god.

How you feel is how you feel. Don't make the mistake of thinking that how you feel must also be how another person in similar shoes feels.

I'm sorry that your friend could find no reason to continue living. It can be very painful to know someone who committed suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality