Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,080,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
For example, if I speak against homosexuality, that means I'm being a bigot against individuals.
Considering that crack you made about lesbians in the "Christian is fired" thread.....I suggest you think about that.

Interesting that you respond to many of my posts. But you avoided responding when I called you out for that. People don't call people bigots for no reason. Many Christians are vocal about their faith and never get called a bigot. If you are being called a bigot....it's time for some introspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 12:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,920,541 times
These teens will wise up one of these days after leaving their XBOx, iphones and computer(1 Terrabyte of memory) and realize these devices can't save them, only God through His son Jesus Christ can.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,678,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
These teens will wise up one of these days after leaving their XBOx, iphones and computer(1 Terrabyte of memory) and realize these devices can't save them, only God through His son Jesus Christ can.
Save them from what???

If you don't like your life as it is, do something different. No supernatural agency required.

If you mean saved from hell, you first have to think that hell exists. It would be pretty unusual for an atheist/agnostic to think that hell exists.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,080,863 times
Quote:
I don't know a single person who thinks their phone is going to save them. Unless they're lost and need to find the freeway.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,101,337 times
Quote:
It's obvious that your religion is based on fear.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:06 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,891,547 times
Maybe they're not letting go of the belief in God but the belief in religion.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,891,294 times
Quote:
Unlike fantasies first propagated by wandering desert tribes of goat herders, as much as the electronics are a scourge (look at all the vitriol they cause on here!), at least they are real. And developed through.. shocker... science!

Old 10-07-2015, 01:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,891,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I call it as I see it, and what do I see? I see atheists investing large portions of their time trashing the Christian faith, and ONLY the Christian faith. Matt Dillahunty has made a living out of it. The funny thing is your side frequently fails to draw a distinction in my arguments. For example, if I speak against homosexuality, that means I'm being a bigot against individuals.
Raised as a Baptist, Matt went to a seminary to be a preacher, and the more he was taught, the more he realized how wrong it all was. Just like many here who were de-converted.

And yes, Matt makes his living from spreading information about all fantasy religions. At least he is not making his living, like thousands of preachers/priests/rabbis/imans from spreading fantasies.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:04 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,381,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I actually like the Bible and I like the message of Christianity. I believe the words of Jesus in the New Testament.

What I don't like is being pressured to vote Republican or to support a theocracy or to deny science or to hate gays or blame gays for natural disasters or to etc etc etc. I can't stand all the baggage that comes with American Christianity. My belief is that Jesus would hardly recognize what is called Christianity in America today.
I do not share your view of the Bible, but I do agree with your second paragraph. The Jesus of the Bible would be disgusted at the fundamentalist Christians here in America. Fundamentalists here have far more hate in their hearts than love. One quick look at any thread here on CD that mentions homosexuals or Muslims, or any number of other things will tell you that.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:06 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Raised as a Baptist, Matt went to a seminary to be a preacher, and the more he was taught, the more he realized how wrong it all was. Just like many here who were de-converted.

And yes, Matt makes his living from spreading information about all fantasy religions. At least he is not making his living, like thousands of preachers/priests/rabbis/imans from spreading fantasies.
And no surprise, he has that same cocky "I know it all" attitude that I see with everyone else like him. I would say abandoning the faith certainly didn't make him a nicer person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality