Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why does religion, any religion, get these wack-a do ideas that their particular imaginary hobby interests are more important than their own flesh and blood? It makes one just boil how a parent can do this to their child, for the simple reason that the child choose not to believe in the same fantasy entities.

I could not imagine kicking my kids out at that age if for some reason they decided to be religious, just because I am and was not. But somehow, I bet we find a lot of support for the parents.

So maddening how religion twists and hurts real people, all for some future hope when your dead.
Fear makes people do crazy things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Wasn't trying to offend you in the least. I actually have respect for you. Verifying a claim is standard practice these days so it really was nothing personal. I did read all the posts but I am not above being side tracked.
And I'm sorry for taking my frustration out on you. You seem like a nice person, and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with you.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
It's all good. It's hard to tell what someone's intent is on the internet.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:05 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
She was kicked out for failure to conform to her parent's belief system, atheist was just part of that. That highlighted statement was used as an example of what she was expected to be.
i’d wager it was a big part of it though. had she quit the church to become a baptist or some other republican-approved dogma, i’d bet the reaction wouldn’t have been so strong. for some reason, americans have a ridiculous amount of loathing for atheists. but that’s cool. hating is what Jesus would have done, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I hereby predict that within 20-30 years they'll be ok with the division of domestic/outside labour being dependent upon abilities and inclination rather than gender.*
some of us mormons already are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Fear makes people do crazy things.
bingo. it really does come down to fear. paul tillich, a christian philosopher, states that fear is the foundation of religious fanaticism, from shunning rebellious children to chopping infidels’ heads off.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'll try and keep the story short. You can listen to the whole background by Kaitlyn McKenna herself here: #81 – Sarah Morehead, Kaitlyn McKenna & Cruel things believers say | No Religion Required

Kaitlyn came out to her parents as an atheist when she was 17, and got kicked out of the house. There was a brief reconciliation, with a number of stipulations, including taking part in Mormon church activities, including taking the endowment ceremony. When the time came, Kaitlyn declined, and her parents gave her 11 days to get out of the house.

11 days. No apartment, no car, no fulltime job at the time, nothing. No furniture, no security deposit, just a get out. We don't want you. We shun you. Scram.

How flippin' Mormon of them!

Kaitlyn's dilemma was picked up by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, and they helped her set up a GoFundMe account, https://www.gofundme.com/justforessentials to help her out. So far (at this writing) $12,700 has been raised to get her set up.

Too bad she is not a fundie baker who won't bake a cake for same sex couples... they get $500,000.

Her father is a bishop in the local ward. He would not even allow Kaitlyn to go to the local temple for her sister's wedding.

Why does religion, any religion, get these wack-a do ideas that their particular imaginary hobby interests are more important than their own flesh and blood? It makes one just boil how a parent can do this to their child, for the simple reason that the child choose not to believe in the same fantasy entities.

I could not imagine kicking my kids out at that age if for some reason they decided to be religious, just because I am and was not. But somehow, I bet we find a lot of support for the parents.

So maddening how religion twists and hurts real people, all for some future hope when your dead.
sick parents. I firmly believe its time to have permits to have kids.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
sick parents. I firmly believe its time to have permits to have kids.
Sounds reasonable

Old 10-31-2015, 02:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
A lot of atheists do tend to be liberal due to the values atheists often have. Conservative Christianity is where fundamentalism and evangelism resides. It is where theocratic fascism resides. They are the ones who want to deny gays their rights and push religion onto the whole of society. It is more concerned about judging other people's supposed sins rather than helping the poor, sick, and elderly (which many conservative Christians hate ... they'll often produce arguments that essentially say the poor are lazy, the disabled are faking it, and the needy elderly should have planned for their retirement better ... so let's cut social spending by tens of billions of dollars and give it to the military so we can KILL more Muslims!

(No, I'm not exaggerating or hyperbolizing. Some time ago, the Republican House proposed a bill that would de-fund Meals on Wheels and other programs for the elderly so they could give the savings to the Pentagon. Look it up.)

Conservative Christianity is the religion that tries to limit your choices and thinks it knows best for you. It attempts to ban books, censor movies, and push it's religion and its so-called "moral" agenda. Yet this religion's moral system is corrupt and polluted with greed, Mammon worship, praise and deference to the often criminally wealthy, and Jesus and his teachings are almost completely absent from their ideology.

Atheists often become atheists due in part to the flagrant and disgusting immorality displayed in the Bible. In other words, they became atheists BECAUSE they are moral ... and Conservative Christianity is very much immoral. It tends to push atheists into liberalism because of just how bad the conservative branch of Christianity has gotten. It's the equivalent of moving to the other side of the street upon seeing fundamentalism, evangelism, and wealth-gospel.

Sure, there are conservative atheists, and not all conservatism is bad. It's just that when you combine religion with conservatism, it's like fire and gasoline.
Yes combine politics with Christianity and you get all these crazy Republican politicians floating around these days like Ted Cruz, Michelle Bachmann and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality