Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 04:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Biblical definition: PAGANS (Gk. éthnē “Gentiles”).* At 1 Cor. 5:1; 10:20 a designation for non-Christian Gentiles in contrast to the Christian Gentiles addressed by Paul (so RSV, NIV; KJV “Gentiles”).

Myers, A. C. (1987). In The Eerdmans Bible dictionary (pp. 788–789). Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.

So Christianity is not responsible for child abuse. It's sinful people doing what sinful people do. Did I suggest that all non-Christians beat their kids? Of course not. I've never made such a statement. Nor am I suggesting that now.
That is correct - in the oily fashion of your go-to-god-guru - you did not say "all" non-Christians beat their kids.

You said "ONLY" non-Christians - aka "pagans" - beat their kids.

So, in the world according to Viz, only Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Wiccans, Druids etc. beat their kids.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 04:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Biblical definition: PAGANS (Gk. éthnē “Gentiles”).* At 1 Cor. 5:1; 10:20 a designation for non-Christian Gentiles in contrast to the Christian Gentiles addressed by Paul (so RSV, NIV; KJV “Gentiles”).

Myers, A. C. (1987). In The Eerdmans Bible dictionary (pp. 788–789). Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.

So Christianity is not responsible for child abuse. It's sinful people doing what sinful people do. Did I suggest that all non-Christians beat their kids? Of course not. I've never made such a statement. Nor am I suggesting that now.

Try really, really hard....and scroll back. I changed that post.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That is correct - in the oily fashion of your go-to-god-guru - you did not say "all" non-Christians beat their kids.

You said "ONLY" non-Christians - aka "pagans" - beat their kids.

So, in the world according to Viz, only Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Wiccans, Druids etc. beat their kids.

That's because Christianity doesn't teach us to beat our kids.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
That's because Christianity doesn't teach us to beat our kids.
And which "pagan" belief systems do?

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:

Actually, you have the vernacular definition of pagan.
The ORIGINAL people known as 'pagans' comes from the term which stems from the Latin paganus translated loosely along the lines of "country dweller" or "rustic"; thus it was initially a word describing a person of locality rather than a religion. However, because of its usage in ancient texts, medieval authors mistakenly believed it referenced a religious sect and thereby gave it the corresponding connotation. In actuality, there was a different word used to describe the "pagans" as they are called today, and that word too stemmed first and foremost from the location of the religious supporters.

According to scholar Peter Brown of Princeton University, "Hellene" was initially utilized in place of "paganism". "Hellene" was a reference to Ἕλλην (Hellas), the native ancient Greek name for what is now called Greece. Brown explains that when Christianity started making appearances in the eastern communities, "Hellene" was used to differentiate the non-Christians from the Christians. Those from Hellas tended to remain faithful to the old religions, but with the strife between Judaism and Christianity beginning, the Jewish faction needed to ensure they were not incorrectly associated with them. As they were not from Greece, "Hellene" became the perfect title.

Read more: The true meaning of Paganism | Ancient Origins
If you would have read Tom Harpur's book, "The Pagan Christ", you would know this already. Harpur has a Doctorate in Divinity, and an ordained Anglican priest.

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Vizioism is a....unique....religion. With.....unique...beliefs.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Just some of the recent stories. It makes my heart bleed and puts tears in my eyes the abuse that the religious think is righteous. There is not a hell hot enough or painful enough for these abusers. All of them.

https://youtu.be/B-QhEy7T8pE

The little girl whose family refused chemo for ‘faith-based’ treatment has died

Oregon couple who chose prayer over doctors will go to prison for child’s death

Police: ​Parents Bruce and Deborah Leonard beat son Lucas Leonard to death in church "counseling session" - CBS News
From just reading the links I would say that is the works of Christian Science and Jehovah Witnesses.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:05 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
I think that is complete nonsense. I don't know of a Christian that turns a blind eye to anyone claiming to be a Christian that abuses a kid.

My definition of child abuse.

• Any and all sexual contact.
  • Any adult raising their hand, or an object, and striking a child.
  • Yelling in anger.
  • Spanking
  • Cursing.
  • Corporal punishment.
  • Your addiction to---- name it.
  • Punishment depriving a child of shelter, food, and contact with light.
  • Depriving a child from their family when the marriage is dissolved. You are still family.
  • Not making children your priority. They are the result of a choice you made. They count on you to treat them with love and keep them safe.
  • Disowning, shunning, or removing your love when your LGBTQ child comes out.

I know plenty of Christians who justify beating their children. They use the bible.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
My definition of child abuse.

• Any and all sexual contact.
  • Any adult raising their hand, or an object, and striking a child.
  • Yelling in anger.
  • Spanking
  • Cursing.
  • Corporal punishment.
  • Your addiction to---- name it.
  • Punishment depriving a child of shelter, food, and contact with light.
  • Depriving a child from their family when the marriage is dissolved. You are still family.
  • Not making children your priority. They are the result of a choice you made. They count on you to treat them with love and keep them safe.
  • Disowning, shunning, or removing your love when your LGBTQ child comes out.

I know plenty of Christians who justify beating their children. They use the bible.
Your opinion is not the consensus. I'm sorry to tell you that. By your definition, I was abused. My sisters were, also. My dad, my grandparents, my great-grandparents, etc were all abused. Thankfully though, my parents did believe in discipline, and they did discipline us. They never abused us. And, incidentally, they were not Christians.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:22 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Your opinion is not the consensus. I'm sorry to tell you that. By your definition, I was abused. My sisters were, also. My dad, my grandparents, my great-grandparents, etc were all abused. Thankfully though, my parents did believe in discipline, and they did discipline us. They never abused us. And, incidentally, they were not Christians.
And? Thankfully we have managed to raise ours without abusing them. They are simply wonderful human beings. They are loving, very funny, creative, professionals.

I have never needed a consensus about child abuse. I am sorry you were abused, and it has been generational abuse. What is most sad is victims of such abuse often praise their abusers.

Their job was to protect you and teach you, not hit you when they are angry.

You said you were Catholic when you were younger, yes?

The good thing is you can be the generation in your family that does not abuse their children. It is a matter of becoming smart enough to teach the lesson without the smacking around. It takes patience, and continuity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality