Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:09 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Works well for some Middle Eastern countries.

================================================== ====
Faith only teaches you WHAT to think, not HOW to think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 09:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
But, you're on the religion and spirituality forum....
Did I discuss Religion?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
DISAGREE! Religion is more likely to ruin your life rather than enhance it!
I have only seen ex Fundamentalists make your claim. I know many well adjusted people that put their faith first. That doesn't mean they only associate with fellow church members, home school, and condemn others if they believe something different, just that they try to live what they think is the right way.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I believe Religion as a Complete Way of Life in our modern era is a very ineffective approach to the well being of humanity?

By 'Religion as a Complete Way of Life' I meant one's religion is imperative in every aspects of one's life without exception including politics, social, economics, legal, etc. Currently the only religion that is claiming for this is Islam.

Do you agree/disagree?
Many religious people (usually large sections of fundamentalists) of various religions claim that their religion is all-involved. But yes, the only very visible and stereotypical ones are the Mohammedan fundamentalists.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Many religious people (usually large sections of fundamentalists) of various religions claim that their religion is all-involved. But yes, the only very visible and stereotypical ones are the Mohammedan fundamentalists.
I understand and I had in mind the various sects of the main religion, e.g. Amish, Mormon and the likes claim the 'all-involved' but they are not significant and has minimal impact on humanity.
I was more interested to discuss the main stream religions and the very noticeable call for Shariah wherever Islam is dominant and even as a minority. Note this on the side,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWh7UPP7b6Q
Flag of Islam Will Fly Over "White House" .. one day.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:20 PM

My view is 'Religion as a Complete Way of Life' [total ideology] is not an effective approach to life for the individual and humanity.
Historically we have seen such ideologies such as Nazism, fascism, and the likes being terrible evils and violence to humanity. As failures they have been vanquished for good. Communism as a way of life will soon disappear in the future.

I believe "Islam" as a complete way of life should be next to go out.
Islam as a complete way of life is claimed to be immutable for eternity.
The problem is within this immutable ideology there are evil laden elements that inspire SOME evil prone believers to commit terrible evils and violence.

I believe whatever the system for living it must leave room for human values, and a moral compass that provide for basic universal human dignity.

Therefore a religion as a complete way of life, especially a religion that is immutable and loaded with certain evil elements is a big no no.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
My view is 'Religion as a Complete Way of Life' [total ideology] is not an effective approach to life for the individual and humanity.
Historically we have seen such ideologies such as Nazism, fascism, and the likes being terrible evils and violence to humanity. As failures they have been vanquished for good. Communism as a way of life will soon disappear in the future.

I believe "Islam" as a complete way of life should be next to go out.
lol haha

And how about Atheism as a way of life? When will this one go down ?

Old 10-17-2015, 07:01 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
lol haha

And how about Atheism as a way of life? When will this one go down ?
When you manage to find our secret temples and holy books and destroy them.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:09 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
I believe Religion as a Complete Way of Life in our modern era is a very ineffective approach to the well being of humanity?

By 'Religion as a Complete Way of Life' I meant one's religion is imperative in every aspects of one's life without exception including politics, social, economics, legal, etc. Currently the only religion that is claiming for this is Islam.

Do you agree/disagree?
I think you are identifying religious extremism -- and "extremism" is in the eye of the beholder.

I will take a liberal theist over a conservative / literalist theist any day, but I tend to see conservative theism as theism taken to its "logical" conclusion, and therefore, see all forms of theism as leading towards harm.

Theism fades from the scene in two ways ... some individuals have epiphanies that take them right out of their belief-system, willingly or not ... and others avoid that realization by watering their beliefs down in various ways until it becomes questionable what exactly they are clinging to and why.

Ultimately the search for generic transcendence without doctrine and community and common cause without doctrine is to have a social club with a fig leaf of religiosity over it, so while extremist religion is harmful to humanity's well being in the extreme, moderate religion is harmful to humanity's well being, moderately.

I say this with full knowledge of the soup kitchens, LGBTQ-friendly congregations, visiting of the sick and other good works done by the religious (even sometimes fundamentalists) but assert that these activities don't exist just because people believe in deities. They can and would exist anyway.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think you are identifying religious extremism -- and "extremism" is in the eye of the beholder.
Nope, I am deliberating it on the basis of principles, i.e. the Principle of Completeness and logic with rationality.

Logically:
Human life as it is has its own totality, i.e. main set.
Religions are only subsets of the above main set [totality] of human life.
Therefore a religion [a subset] can never be the complete way of life [main set].

Point is a subset of a main set cannot be that main set.
Example, Quantum mechanics [QM] is a subset of Physics [main set], therefore it is long logical for QM the subset to represent Physics as a whole [main set].

What is worse is when a religion with a potential for extremism towards evil try to claim itself as THE COMPLETE WAY OF LIFE for all. Those who do not agree or dispute such claims are to be killed by slitting their necks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality