Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times

Advertisements

Maybe the good people are the bad people and the bad people the good? It's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Mark 10:18 "And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone."

Simply put, none of us can expect to have a life free of trouble based on the idea that we're "good people".
Can anyone quote where we get a free pass just cuz we are Christians. That is false theology.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:54 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha3205 View Post
If there is a god, why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people?
My parents are Hindus but I’ve been to Hindu temple, Buddhist temple, and church. Will someone explain this to me?
I really appreciate any info you can provide
Life plays out precisely as one would expect it to in an indifferent universe -- one in which god either does not exist, is absent, or does not care.

This does not mean that one cannot find or make meaning and purpose in life, it just means you aren't an object of fascination for the creator and sustainer of the universe. Which means you're not special, immortal, or anything other than just another human being doing their best.

Your question really speaks, fundamentally, to the concept of justice. It seems unjust, for example, if an innocent child suffers with cancer. But justice is meted out by an intentional actor of some kind. It requires agency. This is one of the reasons people like to believe in gods -- to try to make sense of such heartbreaking scenarios and tell themselves that if only they placate the gods, the gods will smile on them.

But there is a dark side to such beliefs -- we must, ultimately, blame the victim (or at least re-victimize them by throwing them under the bus in some way) when they inconveniently suffer misfortune without some obvious fault. There must be hidden sin, insufficient piety, bad karma, or they have simply been chosen by god to be tested or to serve some ineffable higher purpose. Talk about adding insult to injury!

The cognitive dissonance you are experiencing is quite normal. It goes away when you quit trying to insert god into your understanding of reality. He is an unnecessary entity. His existence neither explains nor predicts anything that actually happens in life.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
But there is a dark side to such beliefs -- we must, ultimately, blame the victim (or at least re-victimize them by throwing them under the bus in some way) when they inconveniently suffer misfortune without some obvious fault. There must be hidden sin, insufficient piety, bad karma, or they have simply been chosen by god to be tested or to serve some ineffable higher purpose. Talk about adding insult to injury!
I agree. It's monstrous.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Life plays out precisely as one would expect it to in an indifferent universe -- one in which god either does not exist, is absent, or does not care.
This is precisely the type of abreaction we would expect from someone who was totally invested in a God who supposedly intervened in our physical lives and performed miracles, etc. The degree of disappointment when one is forced to accept that was a false belief about God is proportional to how strongly it was believed and the length of time it was believed. ANY concept of God would become anathema under those circumstances. The idea that the only thing God is interested in is our state of mind and NOT our physical lives just seems like a cop-out. The fact that everything that is displaced is displaced because of our state of mind (including cognitive dissonance) should be probative, but tends to be ignored.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
God puts as much interest in pleasing the individual, as the individual puts in pleasing Him.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:16 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God puts as much interest in pleasing the individual, as the individual puts in pleasing Him.
So good Christians who have scheit happen to them are not pleasing God? But that doesn't address why scheit happens to atheists who don't have anything to do with God. (I nearly said non-Christians but that could mean other religions who do have something to do with God).

Maybe, just maybe, God has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by 303Guy; 10-18-2015 at 12:42 AM..

Old 10-17-2015, 11:31 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
If there is a god, why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people?
My parents are Hindus but I’ve been to Hindu temple, Buddhist temple, and church. Will someone explain this to me?
So let's say there is no God.

Now you tell me why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,644,574 times
Quote:
1. In reality, bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people.
2. God is not a reality.
3. Thus a claim of 'God exists' will not produce a real God.
4. Since there is real omnipotent God to prevent evil, reality [1] prevails,
5. Since reality prevails, bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people.

Even God is not real, the belief in a transcendental of God is still a critical necessity for the majority of people in this current phase [not necessary future] of human evolution to deal with an inherent existential dilemma.

What is of concern to humanity is where this transcendental idea of God is packaged into a religion that has evil laden elements with a no-holds-barred and inspiring a significant 'SOME' believers to kill non-believers without possibility of restraints from itself.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:44 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
I am so sorry that I didn't give this post more attention. It is because the problem of Evil has been done to death. Being of a Hindu background changes the whole thing and makes it a question that needs answering.

This problem was first put by the greek philosopher Epicurus as to why God (he meant Zeus, but the same argument applies to any supposedly omnipotent god) doesn't intervene to prevent evil.

Is he unable? Then he is not God. Is he able but unwilling? Then he is not good and not worthy of worship.

Religious apologists try to get around this with the Free will argument. This fails because the claim that God cannot interfere with our free choice not only does not cut it as he most certainly intervened with Paul in order to start off the gentile church, but it does not explain why preventing disasters somehow nullifies free will.

A similar point was made in the barber analogy.

"Why doesn't God just convert everyone?"

Barber "Why doesn't everyone have a decent haircut? They have to come to me, first."

This fails (and we never see the analogy now ) because if the barber was omnipotent, like God, then everyone would have decent haircuts.

The conclusion that religious apologists are fighting to avoid coming to is: the only explanation of the problem of evil is that there is nobody to help us. We are on our own.

And over to the Austin atheists who can explain it better than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drSjXBc4cFA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality