Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Maybe that wouldn't happen if religion stayed with spiritual matters and stopped forcing anti-science or false science down our throats. There is a spiritual side to us, not necessarily to do with life after death or a deity or something like that but rather, our emotional beings or our psychological beings if you prefer.
I think you're right.

Eh, I'd write a little more about that but my hands are cramping up. Bah. Sorry.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Maybe that wouldn't happen if religion stayed with spiritual matters and stopped forcing anti-science or false science down our throats. There is a spiritual side to us, not necessarily to do with life after death or a deity or something like that but rather, our emotional beings or our psychological beings if you prefer.

I am at odds with the concept of a religion being based on things like the great flood or Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden or the burning bush in the desert. Funny enough, I don't have too big a problem with the resurrection. That's because I don't think the man actually died on the cross although he would have come pretty close to dying.

I think that if one looks closely into biblical texts one can decipher real events with logical and scientific explanations. It is possible for someone to be crucified and survive (Josephus relates one such case), particularly if the whole event was staged and someone was conveniently on hand with a drug laden sponge to be dipped in water. They did have those things in those times apparently. Miracles on the other hand are the perceptions of the ignorant.
There is a "miracle" to religion 303. It is its power to influence. It will get people to give their life and their money...and do the most evil stuff known to man! It gets otherwise intelligent people to be absolutely certain the most preposterous things happened.
How it acheives this, I have no idea. Its gotta be some kind of miracle...there is no other reasonable explanation.
They NEVER got over on me...and I'm 2nd generation Italian-American and grew up in the Catholic Church. I was outta there @ 13, having never fallen for any of it.
But Religion does have power...as much power as anything. Don't ask me how. The "miracle" of religion.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:11 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,449 times
Religion vs. Science? I don't know...what's the Vegas line? Who's favored, by how many points? The over/under? Are there any prop bets like, say, the chances of a plague of frogs occurring before halftime?

Old 10-24-2015, 05:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You will learn more once you open up your mind to actually learning new things vs. just blindly believing in a man created religion.

Still studying? Well yes and no. My college days are over but I am a life long learner. I am far beyond the things that you are still struggling to comprehend.

As far as a layman is concerned, I can only go by your posts which clearly demonstrate that you lack a scientific background.

There is nothing wrong at all with being a layman...but there is something wrong with a layman who bashes or misrepresents science that they don't understand.

I know plenty of layman that love learning about science.
I wonder why when you don't understand something you blame it on the other person? The fact is, and get use to it because it is a fact, we cannot just make anything up we want. We make up stories based on the information we have to the best of our ability. Just like engineering sometimes can stifle art because we just cant build it yet. You really should go ask your teacher about the things I say. Or even your dad.

I wonder if the words "sometimes stifle" is tossing your brain about. Words really can mess up a fundamentalist or a teenager.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 10-24-2015 at 05:19 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You keep putting out these examples...of things that have both good and bad applications.
What would be the application of the nuclear munitions that Scientists invented and designed that you would determine to be "good"?
the problem is gold is that he is right. "science" is a "tool", or a "profession". And people can be honest or dishonest in using it or being in it. Yes, some mutations seem to hurt the organism, but some will give it a slight advantage. Like an animal at Chernobyl that can withstand higher doses of ionizining radiation.

Good and bad are from the animals perspective, not just human. although everything we say is just human. But we are from the universe so "what" is really saying it? I think that where we are right now in terms of evolution, is like a cars motor not "seeing" the rest of the car; claiming it is driving the car.

we are part of evolution, When we make the next life form we are only still just part of it.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:15 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,975,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
There is a "miracle" to religion 303. It is its power to influence. It will get people to give their life and their money...and do the most evil stuff known to man! It gets otherwise intelligent people to be absolutely certain the most preposterous things happened.
How it acheives this, I have no idea. Its gotta be some kind of miracle...there is no other reasonable explanation.
They NEVER got over on me...and I'm 2nd generation Italian-American and grew up in the Catholic Church. I was outta there @ 13, having never fallen for any of it.
But Religion does have power...as much power as anything. Don't ask me how. The "miracle" of religion.
You make a good point GldnRule. That's a reality we cannot deny.

Last edited by 303Guy; 10-24-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 02:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I wonder why when you don't understand something you blame it on the other person? The fact is, and get use to it because it is a fact, we cannot just make anything up we want. We make up stories based on the information we have to the best of our ability. Just like engineering sometimes can stifle art because we just cant build it yet. You really should go ask your teacher about the things I say. Or even your dad.

I wonder if the words "sometimes stifle" is tossing your brain about. Words really can mess up a fundamentalist or a teenager.
I wonder why you continue to post things that are absolutely nonsensical and just downright ignorant?

Stories defined:

(1) an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment.
"an adventure story"

(2)an account of past events in someone's life or in the evolution of something.
"the story of modern farming"

The only thing in this part of the forum that aligns with the word story is the bible. It is nothing but made up stories.

Science is not simply making things up. Science aims to increase our understanding of how the natural world works.
  • Science aims to build knowledge about the natural world.
  • This knowledge is open to question and revision as we come up with new ideas and discover new evidence.
  • Because it has been tested, scientific knowledge is reliable.
Quote:
*Misconception: Scientific ideas are absolute and unchanging.
*Misconception: Because scientific ideas are tentative and subject to change, they can't be trusted.
Quote:
*Correction: Accepted scientific ideas are well-supported and reliable, but could be revised if warranted by the evidence.
Tips and strategies for teaching the nature and process of science

Fundamentalism defined: Strict adherence to the basic principles of any subject or discipline.

This definition does not apply to any system that revises and updates previous knowledge when new and better methodologies are employed which offer up a different set of observations.

The Geocentric model is a good example. And boy how the Religious and contemporary adhered to geocentrism in spite of Nicolaus Copernicus and his Heliocentrism speculation.

Today we know that Copernicus was correct. He rightly observed that the planets revolve around the Sun, then along came Kepler who correctly defined the planetary orbits.

I strongly suggest that read up about what science is so you can stop looking ignorant when tossing around insults that simply make zero sense and don't apply.

Science aims to explain and understand

Layman have so much trouble with science becasue they simply don't even understand the basic premise of what science is.

This post demonstrates how utterly clueless you are about both science and religion.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I wonder why you continue to post things that are absolutely nonsensical and just downright ignorant?

Stories defined:

(1) an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment.
"an adventure story"

(2)an account of past events in someone's life or in the evolution of something.
"the story of modern farming"

The only thing in this part of the forum that aligns with the word story is the bible. It is nothing but made up stories.

Science is not simply making things up. Science aims to increase our understanding of how the natural world works.
  • Science aims to build knowledge about the natural world.
  • This knowledge is open to question and revision as we come up with new ideas and discover new evidence.
  • Because it has been tested, scientific knowledge is reliable.

Tips and strategies for teaching the nature and process of science

Fundamentalism defined: Strict adherence to the basic principles of any subject or discipline.

This definition does not apply to any system that revises and updates previous knowledge when new and better methodologies are employed which offer up a different set of observations.

The Geocentric model is a good example. And boy how the Religious and contemporary adhered to geocentrism in spite of Nicolaus Copernicus and his Heliocentrism speculation.

Today we know that Copernicus was correct. He rightly observed that the planets revolve around the Sun, then along came Kepler who correctly defined the planetary orbits.

I strongly suggest that read up about what science is so you can stop looking ignorant when tossing around insults that simply make zero sense and don't apply.

Science aims to explain and understand

Layman have so much trouble with science becasue they simply don't even understand the basic premise of what science is.

This post demonstrates how utterly clueless you are about both science and religion.
no my post shows how limited your understanding is. If you don't get it, its you. I don't make stuff up to suit an agenda. I make stuff up based on what we know. Biology is the most basic understanding we have so I understand your were you get lost. anything past a list.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
the problem is gold is that he is right. "science" is a "tool", or a "profession". And people can be honest or dishonest in using it or being in it. Yes, some mutations seem to hurt the organism, but some will give it a slight advantage. Like an animal at Chernobyl that can withstand higher doses of ionizining radiation.

Good and bad are from the animals perspective, not just human. although everything we say is just human. But we are from the universe so "what" is really saying it? I think that where we are right now in terms of evolution, is like a cars motor not "seeing" the rest of the car; claiming it is driving the car.

we are part of evolution, When we make the next life form we are only still just part of it.
I am commenting in the context of the OP. It seems that has been lost by some along the way.
The OP basically is asking whether Religion advises Science or Science advises Religion.
I pointed out that there really is no such thing as "Religion" or "Science" to advise anything or anybody. You have People that Embrace Some Theology (AKA: The Religious) and People that Endeavor in Some Field of Science (AKA: Scientists).
Many present the idea that only one or the other are biased, or evil, or dishonest, or possess accurate knowledge, or tolerant & accepting, or good, or forthright, or ignorant, etc.
Reality Is: ;BOTH have ALL those traits...neither can claim any exclusives...though it is typical for each to feel they do.
And..."Good/Bad", "Moral/Immoral", and collecting/disseminating acedemic knowledge, are human constructs...other organisms do not figure into any of that.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:54 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
no my post shows how limited your understanding is. If you don't get it, its you. I don't make stuff up to suit an agenda. I make stuff up based on what we know. Biology is the most basic understanding we have so I understand your were you get lost. anything past a list.
Whatever layman with no clue about what you're talking about.

BTW Physics is the most basic science we have.

My science background includes not only Biology but Biochemistry, Math including Cal I & II, , Bio-statistics, Physics and all levels of Chemistry. I also have a Master's degree in Molecular Science.

It's you the layman who makes up your own agenda based on the lack of understanding of the science that you read.

You don't even think that time exists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality