Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 04:05 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No...I call it a mermaid with mermaid-like attributes...thus mermaids exist. Tomorrow I will call it a leprechaun with leprechaun-like attributes...thus leprechauns exist. On Wednesday I'm going to call it an alien with alien-like properties...thus aliens exist. For next weekend I'm going to call it a twenty-five-legged elephant with ten heads with the attributes of a
twenty-five legged elephant with ten heads...thus proving that twenty-five legged elephants with ten heads do exist. That's how dumb it is to label anything as 'God' and then claim that 'God' exists - you have to apply the same rules to everything and anything, giant spiders, magic mice with radioactive ears, walking milk bottles, condoms that can ride bicycles....on and on goes the redundant nonsense.
It is the KNOWN ATTRIBUTES that inform Raf.
If there are any objectively existing entities that can be determined to actually have those various attributes you listed...it would be logical and reasonable to assign those titles.
Just as it is logical and reasonable to assign All Reality the title God...on the basis of it having the attributes known to define God.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:21 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
If there are any objectively existing entities that can be determined to actually have those various attributes you listed...it would be logical and reasonable to assign those titles.
Just as it is logical and reasonable to assign All Reality the title God...on the basis of it having the attributes known to define God.
...but YOU don't know the attributes of your god...any more than I know the attributes of aliens.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
...but YOU don't know the attributes of your god...any more than I know the attributes of aliens.
I do have knowledge of the attributes known to define God.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I do have knowledge of the attributes known to define God.
You have knowledge of the attributes that your god is ALLEGED to have. So you haver HEARSAY.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Yeah. Your argument Rafi, didn't really prove anything. Things don't exist by simply calling nothing a mermaid, and saying that it exists.

Now if you said something with an upper body of a woman and lower fish, do you say, "Well. Obviously this is not a mermaid. Mermaids don't exist." You say "Holy ****. Mermaids exist."

This doesn't mean you should believe stuff without question. A healthy instinct would be to make sure of the proof. Is it a woman disguised as a fish? Is it a fish, dressed as a woman (pffft, you know how tricky they can be )? However, if you examine the proof, continuing to be a skeptic doesn't make you smarter. It is your job not only to doubt, but to know when an idea can't work and to move to a different one (this doesn't necessarily advocate theism; if mermaids are proven, I expect people to say "mermaids are a genetic lifeform, not a magical beast. This doesn't prove things like magic or ghosts exist (without more investigation)."). All too often, I've pointed out something that seems so obvious as to stare people in the face, and they could think that thing isn't true but still find a way atheism can be true. But they can't let go of that wrong idea, so they just try hard to ignore what I said, rather than being better about their worldview. The world needs believers and skeptics. But in order that either give the rest a good name, they need to have a good sense of what to trust.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Yeah. Your argument Rafi, didn't really prove anything. Things don't exist by simply calling nothing a mermaid, and saying that it exists.
Ummmm...correct, that was the point I was making. It's no different than calling it 'God' and then claiming that 'God' exists.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
You have knowledge of the attributes that your god is ALLEGED to have. So you haver HEARSAY.
All knowledge is "alleged"...it's all on Faith...faith the info/data you are working with has merit. It might not, nothing is infallible.

I go by what is the known expert attributes that define God. That is the most logical and reasonable basis.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
All knowledge is "alleged"...
Foolish child! Don't be ridiculous. Go jump off a high building. I guarantee you that the Theory of Gravity does not rely on allegation.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Foolish child! Don't be ridiculous. Go jump off a high building. I guarantee you that the Theory of Gravity does not rely on allegation.
We don't know for sure if we even actually exist Raf.
This could all be a simulation. The "brain in a vat" type deal.
I have faith it isn't and that it is really happening...but no one can say they "know" for sure. We just think we "know".
As far as your test....I'll just dump your old butt over the edge and watch. But a river gorge is more entertaining. I like to watch the *splash*.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
We don't know for sure if we even actually exist Raf.
Get professional help old beast. No wait...that will be expensive. On second thoughts, come here and let me hit you over the head with this large hammer.

Last edited by Rafius; 01-11-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality