Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 12:19 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times

Advertisements

I did not think you were, Richard. Sorry if my written tone came over that way.

As for your request, you may have to get that from someone like Whoppers. What I can do, is refer you to the Revised Standard Version of the Bible which, if I am not mistaken, tries to hold true to the older tradition of this passage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 12:29 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I did not think you were, Richard. Sorry if my written tone came over that way.

As for your request, you may have to get that from someone like Whoppers. What I can do, is refer you to the Revised Standard Version of the Bible which, if I am not mistaken, tries to hold true to the older tradition of this passage.
Thanks...It would be nice to actually read the Hebrew of the DSS in order to see for myself...I wonder if what we see in the TNK with Israel constantly going off the MONO-rail and their behavior being recorded as a matter of fact ties in with the polytheistic evidence...

Old 10-25-2015, 10:40 PM

A little surprised we have not brought up the I Book of Enoch as yet (well I did earlier). While not considered an "inspired" book, nor can it be found in the Christian [exception: Ethiopian] or Hebrew canons, the book was rather very popular in the Jewish world before, throughout and after the time Jesus is alleged to have lived. It is somewhat quoted and alluded to in other New Testament writings. Some suspect that it lost its prominence in the Jewish community as it moved to a more rigid form of monotheism because it's implication that God had sons or that angels could have sex, something also rejected by many Christians. Interestingly, however, chapter 6 of the book is eerily similar to that of Genesis 6, but gives far more details to the stated story than what is found in the extremely condensed and "out of the blue" version in Genesis.

"And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children."

~ I Enoch 6:1-3

Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose.

~ Genesis 6:1-2

Old 10-25-2015, 11:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
A little surprised we have not brought up the I Book of Enoch as yet (well I did earlier). While not considered an "inspired" book, nor can it be found in the Christian [exception: Ethiopian] or Hebrew canons, the book was rather very popular in the Jewish world before, throughout and after the time Jesus is alleged to have lived. It is somewhat quoted and alluded to in other New Testament writings. Some suspect that it lost its prominence in the Jewish community as it moved to a more rigid form of monotheism because it's implication that God had sons or that angels could have sex, something also rejected by many Christians. Interestingly, however, chapter 6 of the book is eerily similar to that of Genesis 6, but gives far more details to the stated story than what is found in the extremely condensed and "out of the blue" version in Genesis.

"And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children."

~ I Enoch 6:1-3

Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose.

~ Genesis 6:1-2
How do you know the book of Enoch you have is the one that may have been around at the time of Jesus?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:23 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know the book of Enoch you have is the one that may have been around at the time of Jesus?
How do you know that Gospels Matthew and John were actually written by the apostles Matthew and John? How do you know that any of the words directly attributed to Jesus himself as indicated in the Gospels decades after Jesus was executed were actually spoken by Jesus? It's all kind of a crap shoot, isn't it!

Old 10-26-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Fragments of the book, if not entire copies, were found along with the Dead Sea scrolls which predates the time of Jesus. Can I tell you that every single word in the copies we have today (only extant in Ethiopian Ge'ez) match older full Hebrew copies we don't have today? No. But it appears scholars agree the book was/is legit. Whether one agrees with it doctrinal content or not, that is another story, but archaeology seems to confirm the book has been around for quite some time and before and after the time of Jesus.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
How do you know that Gospels Matthew and John were actually written by the apostles Matthew and John? How do you know that any of the words directly attributed to Jesus himself as indicated in the Gospels decades after Jesus was executed were actually spoken by Jesus? It's all kind of a crap shoot, isn't it!
Brace yourself for the 'corporate answer.'

Old 10-26-2015, 12:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
We have thousands of manuscripts verifying them.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:54 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
The Gospels were written anonymously. There's no way to "verify" anything.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
We've got even better manuscripts of the Book of Mormon. And yet you are not a Mormon. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality