U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:14 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,981,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, because a Chief of Police telling American citizens to "go fly a kite" is what we want from people in positions in power.
I think yes--a lot of people do. Maybe it's because people are sick of the politically-correct mentality that we dare not actually speak our minds. People are sick of getting their rights trampled by the likes of the FFRF and ACLU and are ready to speak out. Moderator cut: Removing extraneous political remarks

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-22-2015 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Removing extraneous political remarks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 12:17 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think yes--a lot of people do. Maybe it's because people are sick of the politically-correct mentality that we dare not actually speak our minds.
So you think a response worthy of a seven-year-old on a school playground is a good idea.

I'm not a bit surprised.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So you think a response worthy of a seven-year-old on a school playground is a good idea.

I'm not a bit surprised.
Honestly, I think the response resonates with a lot of Americans. Being polite and meek gets a person walked all over.

Do I think we should be intentionally rude and condescending? No. But I don't believe this letter from the Police Chief was condescending. It was direct and to the point.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 PM

20,590 posts, read 22,744,710 times
Quote:
What religion is being endorsed by this? And can you please quote the statement from the Constitution that makes it illegal for a government employee to do that?

Give you a hint: there isn't any.
Why doesn't any evangelical READ the US CONSTITUTION??

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And it is NOT the employee, it is a GOVERNMENT VEHICLE...

Old 10-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why doesn't any evangelical READ the US CONSTITUTION??

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
So you think a police chief putting a motto on the vehicle is equivalent to Congress making a law?

Really? So you think the Chief can now make up whatever law he wants and every other state must adhere to it?

I've read the Constitution. It's not evident yet that you have, or that you really understand what it means.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:37 PM

11,016 posts, read 21,587,474 times
How did they get away with putting that on a public police car???

Government vehicles should have nothing related to religion splashed across them, that's just offensive.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:58 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
How did they get away with putting that on a public police car???

Government vehicles should have nothing related to religion splashed across them, that's just offensive.
They get away with it because the Chief of Police obviously thinks his religious beliefs are paramount and more important then the separation of church and state.

And, apparently, because the police aren't doing a very good job and they need God as a back-up. Personally I'd rather have a top-notch police department. One that didn't have to put a sticker on the back of the car saying, "We may not be able to pull you out of your burning, wrecked car if you're in a pile-up on the 40 or get you to safety when a whack-job with a gun is holding twelve people hostage at Carl's Jr... so we're trusting God."

Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
They get away with it because the Chief of Police obviously thinks his religious beliefs are paramount and more important then the separation of church and state.
That separation doesn't exist. It's a myth.
Quote:
And, apparently, because the police aren't doing a very good job and they need God as a back-up. Personally I'd rather have a top-notch police department. One that didn't have to put a sticker on the back of the car saying, "We may not be able to pull you out of your burning, wrecked car if you're in a pile-up on the 40 or get you to safety when a whack-job with a gun is holding twelve people hostage at Carl's Jr... so we're trusting God."
They really never said that. The fact that you interpret it as such really demonstrates your bias.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:24 PM

10,298 posts, read 10,394,052 times
Quote:
So you think a police chief putting a motto on the vehicle is equivalent to Congress making a law?

Really? So you think the Chief can now make up whatever law he wants and every other state must adhere to it?

I've read the Constitution. It's not evident yet that you have, or that you really understand what it means.
The Supreme Court has said that any action by any government official is up for scrutiny under the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment. While his action may not be equivalent to Congress passing a law, it is still subject to review for Constitutionality.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The Supreme Court has said that any action by any government official is up for scrutiny under the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment. While his action may not be equivalent to Congress passing a law, it is still subject to review for Constitutionality.
And they are wrong. The fact that this motto was placed on the car is no more "establishing a religion" as anything else the chief does is equivalent to passing a law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality