U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 AM

7,798 posts, read 10,574,798 times

Advertisements

June is big on inner silence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM

13,019 posts, read 13,420,491 times
What's really wild is when you start hearing the music of the stars....when you get so quiet inside (so that is internal silence, a quieting of the thoughts) that you can tune into and hear what is broadcast and playing beyond our ordinary daily awareness. I love reading about the composers of great classical music, who describe they heard that very music, and simply translated it into the scores of music we know today as Beethoven, Mozart, and others.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,885,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
True absolute silence would kill us.
i bet it would:

wouldn't it require vacuum to have true silence? cuz in any matter, any movement causes vibrations, which would lead to silence, even if on a minute, minute scale. just a pondering...

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

31 posts, read 1,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
sound waves cannot travel through empty space. there has to be a medium.
sound waves move a diaphragm, which moves tiny bones, which interact with a nerve, which creates nerve signals, which are transmitted biochemically and bioelectrically to the brain.

sound waves do not travel through vacuum, though they could bounce against something that turns them into other waves (electromagnetic) which do.

throw in quantum entanglement, and you could have a set of quantum diaphragms that you stick in your ears like earbuds, and you could put the entangled "microphones" anywhere that a medium exists. obviously without that medium, no sound is going to be transmitted.

quantum effects mostly dont work at a macro scale, quantum is overplayed a bit as a concept, but the overlap of ideas between science and mysticism does increase as science gets more incredible. if you are silent, you might hear your heartbeat. that certainly means as much to some people as an apple falling and discovering gravity. if you are silent, there is nothing to stop the most important thoughts that youve ignored for so long from making themselves known. silence is potentially transformative, like the first day of a new year.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,272,440 times
Why is this zombie thread resurrected in this forum?

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

13,920 posts, read 11,385,350 times
I dunno....but try placing the best putty/waxy earplugs in, in a silent room to begin with...listen...there is no silence.
Then, sit there for an hour concentrating on the Inner Sound Current.
Oh, yeah.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

31 posts, read 1,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why is this zombie thread resurrected in this forum?
sorry, it was obviously recommended / related and i mistook it for a recent one. i realise theres a date, i did not realise i was replying to such an old post because i didnt check the date.

as to what forum, i presume it was moved to this one at some point. to be fair, some of the topics in this forum are literally 1000s of years old.

Old Today, 06:36 AM

15,879 posts, read 7,333,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
sorry, it was obviously recommended / related and i mistook it for a recent one. i realise theres a date, i did not realise i was replying to such an old post because i didnt check the date.

as to what forum, i presume it was moved to this one at some point. to be fair, some of the topics in this forum are literally 1000s of years old.
And just as inane

Old Today, 07:11 AM

27,131 posts, read 14,486,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
what we perceive of as silence certainly is not true silence--i know that my ears are not good enough to pick up minute noises, especially after iraq--but what montana said is correct: sound waves cannot travel through empty space. there has to be a medium.
Makes sense...In the world of electronic there must be a carrier signal to transmit speach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality