Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times

Advertisements

We all have a choice in what we believe about God. Certainly others can influence us, but ultimately we'll be judged for what we believe and the choice we made about that. Others influence us only as much as we allow it (at least for adults). It is not very intelligent to base one's opinion of God by what man says or does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:19 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The article stated:
"Conservative-fundamentalist Christians, they assert, have failed to absorb the great cultural, theological, and social shifts of the last century. Instead of listening to the voices of modernity, too many conservative Christians have isolated themselves, circled the wagons, and declared war on every idea that doesn't perfectly fit their theology."

Therefore I was right that the atheist/agnostic wants the church to absorb the cultural, theological and social shifts of the last century. They want the church to have more modernity. Yes, just be like us and we will join you again.
That depends on whether you regard "modernity" as 100% bad (or really, more than 50% bad). If it's more harm than good then you can toss it all out very neatly.

Alas, "modernity", especially on a worldwide basis includes less racism, less violent crime, more worker productivity, less poverty, less disease, less ignorance, and a bunch of other benefits ... so be careful what baby you plan to throw out with that bathwater.

Are you suggesting that the "great cultural, theological and social shifts of the last century" are all a threat vector for your belief-system? Does that say more about those shifts, or about your beliefs?

Old 10-27-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
It is not very intelligent to base one's opinion of God by what man says or does.
Except that is what everyone does without exception, whether they admit it or not. Even if not one other human shares your basic assessment of god, you concocted it yourself and you are still a human being.

Unless of course you're seriously suggesting that god is whispering in your ear, and can prove it ... you are just another person basing your opinion of God on what man says or does. You get a couple of brownie points to the extent that you're not just going with the most popular and widely subscribed beliefs, but as even the Bible admits, there is "nothing new under the sun". "All is vanity and vexation of spirit". Even if you evade some overt trappings of religion that are particularly hypocritical or irrational it's highly unlikely you've had a new thought or belief about god just the same.

All that said, I don't think I should base my opinion of deities on what is popular either, but I go a step further and refuse to base it on comforting legends or empty promises but rather insist that there be some sort of verifiable factuality to religion ideations. Which I have yet to discover to even a minor extent.

And you certainly can't accuse me of going with the popular or majority view here because trust me, most people WANT to believe, and facts be damned.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:46 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That depends on whether you regard "modernity" as 100% bad (or really, more than 50% bad). If it's more harm than good then you can toss it all out very neatly.

Alas, "modernity", especially on a worldwide basis includes less racism, less violent crime, more worker productivity, less poverty, less disease, less ignorance, and a bunch of other benefits ... so be careful what baby you plan to throw out with that bathwater.

Are you suggesting that the "great cultural, theological and social shifts of the last century" are all a threat vector for your belief-system? Does that say more about those shifts, or about your beliefs?
I don't need to explain myself. It's clear enough.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I don't need to explain myself. It's clear enough.
Translation: you can't explain yourself. So you don't want to, and won't.

Understandable.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Are you sure that's what he's doing?

God may not be whoever he claims he is.

Maybe God has not witnessed his beliefs to his innermost self but maybe he is walking by faith and not by sight or feelings.

How do you know he personally chooses to honor specific verses?

How do you know he rejects the authority of the full New Testament canon?

His version, if it is correct, does in fact have more standing than others versions if theirs is incorrect.

Did I miss something?
Yes... this:

Old 10-27-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes... this:
You have no proof that the writers of the Old Testament created their version of Yahweh. So why say it?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Translation: you can't explain yourself. So you don't want to, and won't.

Understandable.
Believe what you want. You already do anyway and make up things as you go along.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
You have no proof that the writers of the Old Testament created their version of Yahweh. So why say it?
I must say there is no-one like you for keeping it going. The stories about YHWH are demonstrably wrong (I have done it, so don;'t trouble to say I haven't) so since the stories about him are made up, the conclusion the Bible was made uop follows, and thus the god described in it was made op.

I know that isn't prof to you. Nothing is. So asking for it is just a way of keeping it going.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
I have given many references of the evolution of Yahweh from the Canaanite gods. Many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality