Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:48 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,604,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Cases in point above, evolution says none of that "yearning" stuff that Religionists are used to.
Yes. It is all Natural. Lol.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:54 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,214,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Ah yes. To the rescue. I stand corrected. DNA line to survive. They also fall in love and cry when other DNA due. Such is the theology of Darwinism.
Darwin had no knowledge of DNA. He published The Origin of Species in 1859.

DNA was not known about until 1944. It's structure was not elucidated until 1953.

The bolded part is nonsensical. Care to rinse and repeat more clearly?

No need to focus on Darwin from 1859. Let's look at all the Evolution evidence that has been discovered since his time.

Let Darwin rest...he did his work well for not even knowing who Mendel was or that DNA existed.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Darwin had no knowledge of DNA. He published The Origin of Species in 1859.

DNA was not known about until 1944. It's structure was not elucidated until 1953.

The bolded part is nonsensical. Care to rinse and repeat more clearly?

No need to focus on Darwin from 1859. Let's look at all the Evolution evidence that has been discovered since his time.

Let Darwin rest...he did his work well for not even knowing who Mendel was or what DNA was.
Fine. Darwin didn't know anything about DNA. So he believed it was Natural that chemicals want to survive and now scientists believe that DNA naturally wants to survive. So?? Anything else to this cute little story?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,523,846 times
Quote:
Fine. Darwin didn't know anything about DNA. So he believed it was Natural that chemicals want to survive and now scientists believe that DNA naturally wants to survive. So?? Anything else to this cute little story?
I don't recall that Darwin knew about chemical evolution either. He talked only of what he could demonstrate - evolution of species. That does not and could not explain where the first life came from and why they evolve and survive.

What he does show is that chemicals - biochemicals - assembled into complex lifeforms, evolve survival processes which in animals results in the instinctive reaction of 'wanting' to survive. A cute story indeed and I think it will turn out to be right. I think is the nearest thing to an answer to a rather oddly put question.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,214,447 times
Quote:
No that's not at all what he or believed or what scientists believe.

Perhaps if you get your facts straight you won't be so confused.

What's your purpose in this thread? To troll and derail it just like you did in the Philosophy forum?

If you can't discuss facts without twisting them to fit your agenda then what's the point of posting?

You're only posting your self-created misrepresentations...you are not portraying the facts.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,036,492 times
Quote:
No. Your image of the argument is just a straw man.

chemicals and processes that survive, survive.
DNA-based processes that survive, survive.

Streams that survive, survive.
smaller streams that form and survive, survive.

None of these things "want" nor "yearn" to survive; and Darwin would have never, and never did, put it that way.
Modern Science hasn't changed that particular stance.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't recall that Darwin knew about chemical evolution either. He talked only of what he could demonstrate - evolution of species. That does not and could not explain where the first life came from and why they evolve and survive.

What he does show is that chemicals - biochemicals - assembled into complex lifeforms, evolve survival processes which in animals results in the instinctive reaction of 'wanting' to survive. A cute story indeed and I think it will turn out to be right. I think is the nearest thing to an answer to a rather oddly put question.
Ok. Ok. You're killing me. A chemical naturally evolves the desire to survive.

I don't care about surviving.
I do, I do! I want to live!
Gotta live! Gotta live!

It would be a great musical.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
No. Your image of the argument is just a straw man.

chemicals and processes that survive, survive.
DNA-based processes that survive, survive.

Streams that survive, survive.
smaller streams that form and survive, survive.

None of these things "want" nor "yearn" to survive; and Darwin would have never, and never did, put it that way.
Modern Science hasn't changed that particular stance.
Uh .. Since when do chemicals give a heck about surviving? Sounds quite anthromoporphical to me. How about you?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Ok. Ok. You're killing me. A chemical naturally evolves the desire to survive.

I do, I do! I want to live!
Gotta live! Gotta live!

It would be a great musical.
Do you know what a computer is (you are using one)? Do you think the "instinct not to hit a wall" could be put into computers using thought-less atoms? Well, it can. Do you think that "desire" could eventually be put into computers? Well, by extension of the logic of such processes, it could.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Uh .. Since when do chemicals give a heck about surviving? Sounds quite anthromoporphical to me. How about you?
Yes, but you are the one putting anthropomorphism into the idea (probably because you currently have Spiritualist/Religious tendencies).

Does Ice give a heck about melting? Then why does it?
Does Ice give a heck about remaining Ice? then why does it?

Does the Nile river give a heck about surviving? Then why does it?

Things just do what they do, they don't think about it.
Neither do chemicals nor DNA.

But computers can process information (think about it) and then respond in their choosing based on what information was retained and the structure of their being.

A computer doesn't need every atom in it to process information the way the whole computer does in order for the whole computer to process information in the unique way that it does. The process is called Emergence

Be glad that the internet is basically a free library where a lot of people provide free education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality