U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 03:11 PM

23,404 posts, read 12,106,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I too found it rambling and not sure what he was trying to say.
I rarely know what he is saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 03:21 PM

10,310 posts, read 10,402,673 times
I've been unable to find an online translator to go from deadwood to English.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:27 PM

476 posts, read 388,136 times
Let me break it down for you gentlement;

What I really find amusing:

a) is not that they say that there was a flood

b) or that God put a bow in the cloud (as a promise that the earth will never be covered under water

WHAT I FIND AMUSING [it] is the way scientist believe that bow was rainbow.

And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: GENESIS 9:14

When scientist attempt to reprove the scriptures with references to the Flood of Noah, one of their arguments is based upon the presumption that the Bible says that God placed a rainbow in the cloud. I find that funny.

Last edited by deadwood; 11-01-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,146,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
So what I find funny is how those who dispute the flood commonly use the argument that rainbows don't come from the clouds but result from the visible light passing through the drops of rain falling from the clouds. Thus if interprets the passage differently those who dispute the scriptures will still claim that the scriptures mean rainbow. That I find funny.
What do you think it means? I was taught that it was a rainbow, is there some other sort of bow you see in the clouds?

-NoCapo

Old 11-01-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
What do you think it means? I was taught that it was a rainbow, is there some other sort of bow you see in the clouds?

-NoCapo
So you do acknowledge that you consider the bow means a rainbow or you simply saying that you were taught it was a rainbow?

The passage refers to "a 'cloud' being brought over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:"

In regards to your question regarding the bow in the clouds, by the use of the word clouds are referring unto a visible mass of condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere? If not, could you clarify your meaning.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 PM

"...and they cried before him, Bow the knee:" Genesis 41:43
"... and bow thine ear to my understanding:" Proverbs 5:1
"Bow thy heavens, O LORD, ...": Ps 144:5

From the use of the term 'bow' in as referenced from other scriptures, would you consider the possibility that there term implied "bend or bent, or having a curve shape?

So when he brings that cloud over the earth, that the bend or curvature shall be seen in that "cloud".

The reason I ask for the clarification of the term 'cloud' is due to the the change of definitions by science which no longer holds that the mass of condensed water vapor in the atmosphere is no longer considered as a cloud.

Last edited by deadwood; 11-01-2015 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:

From the use of the term 'bow' in as referenced from other scriptures, would you consider the possibility that there term implied "bend or bent, or having a curve shape?
You mean, bent like a rainbow?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:47 PM

12,920 posts, read 4,940,993 times
Quote:

You do know the difference between "bow" the verb and "bow" the noun, right?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You do know the difference between "bow" the verb and "bow" the noun, right?
I'm thinking -- not.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,580,005 times
Quote:
Let me break it down for you gentlement;

What I really find amusing:

a) is not that they say that there was a flood

b) or that God put a bow in the cloud (as a promise that the earth will never be covered under water

WHAT I FIND AMUSING [it] is the way scientist believe that bow was rainbow.

And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: GENESIS 9:14

When scientist attempt to reprove the scriptures with references to the Flood of Noah, one of their arguments is based upon the presumption that the Bible says that God placed a rainbow in the cloud. I find that funny.
It isn't scientists by any means who claim that god put a rainbow in the sky; most of them don't believe the legend in the first place. Rather, it is every Christian children's story book and every Sunday School class I ever attended as a Christian. I NEVER ONCE in roughly 30 years as a practicing Christian heard a pastor or Bible teacher suggest that it was anything other than an actual rainbow.

So far as I know you are the only human being who has performed this particular circumlocution, and without even offering any exegesis, much less actual evidence, in support of it. Or perhaps you sit under a pastor who has this private understanding of the matter. Or maybe there is a sect that teaches it that I haven't heard of. But in no universe I've ever visited could you palm this notion off as either mainstream accepted Christian teaching or as anything that science teaches.

What science concludes from the available evidence is that there is no evidence of a worldwide flood, nor is such a flood as described in the Bible even physically possible. There isn't enough water on the planet to cover the entire surface of the earth to the described depth and even if there were that much water there is no mechanism by which that water could have receded in the time it supposedly did. And that is only the beginning of the issues with the flood story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or