Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What drives fundamentalist atheism? Maybe it's control issues.
That is a good question and a good observation. I am an Atheist and I definitely have 'control issues'. I am hyper-sensitive to people who try to control me and maybe that led me to reject any mainstream religious teachings.

On the other hand, I have no hard feelings against any organized religion, but if you ever see my posts on the Judaism and Islam forum you will see that I really criticize people who think their religion is better than others and brag about it.

It seems that many of my fellow Atheists suffered from religious indoctrination when they were young and maybe that has led them to have anger against mainstream religions, especially Christianity.

Some of their stories are in this thread I started years ago:

Why are you an atheist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:05 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Can you believe he said this??
Whether he said it or not, it is absolutely true. I can testify being a former fundamentalist that I was so focused on what fundamentalism lives and thrives off, I missed the essence of the message of Jesus Christ.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:19 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I can testify being a former fundamentalist that I was so focused on what fundamentalism lives and thrives off, I missed the essence of the message of Jesus Christ.
Even though I am an Atheist, I think I understand what you mean.

I frequent the Islam and Judaism forum and they seem to have fundies who just want to follow the rules of their religions. I guess some people want to be told exactly what to do in their lives.

Non-fundie Christians are different. As best I can tell, you believe this guy Jesus is a god who can come into your heart and help to guide you through life. He won't give you silly rules to follow, but he will help you make good decisions and comfort you when you face difficulties. That seems like a very good religion for people who want or need that sort of thing.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
If there even is such a thing as "fundamentalist atheism," it almost certainly came about as a counterbalance to fundamentalist religion.

It should be remembered that, even today, being an atheist is akin to admitting to being a serial killer among some circles. Fundamentalist religion never becomes bored with slandering atheists and misrepresenting our worldview, how we think, and what we believe. Thus, today, atheists are the most hated and least trusted demographic group in America. That didn't happen because atheists are all a bunch of decadent, hedonistic criminals. It happened thanks to fundamental religious believers who control all of the airwaves of both television and radio.

The fact of the matter is: One cannot counter the encroachment of fundamentalism into the political arena by remaining nice, mild-mannered, well-behaved atheists. I always refer to the demise of the Islamic renaissance when talking about this subject.

Those who know their history know that the Islamic world used to be the global leader in science, discovery, and the creation of new knowledge. The Western world was still groping around in the dark by comparison. It only took a relatively small, vociferous, and well financed group of Islamic fundamentalists to destroy everything the Islamic world had created, plunging it, instead, into a world of intellectual darkness, a land in which the Qu'ran was the only book that mattered. Anything else was heresy and blasphemy. Despite this having occurred almost a thousand years ago, the remnants of this horrific time still exist in the form of ISIS, the misogynistic rules of Saudi Arabia, honor killings in Afghanistan, among other examples that we're constantly hearing about on the news.

The old Islam, despite it being scientific, was still very religious and susceptible to the rise of fundamentalism. As a result, there were no meaningful opposing voices to turning the Middle Eastern lands into one massive caliphate under a strict Islamic theocratic dictatorship. There were no "fundamentalist" atheists nor were there moderate Muslims speaking out in order to preserve their freedoms.

And I'll be damned if such a thing happens in THIS country.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
He won't give you silly rules to follow, but he will help you make good decisions and comfort you when you face difficulties. That seems like a very good religion for people who want or need that sort of thing.
Yes, because even we liberal Christians can't think for themselves and need help making decisions and Jesus is right there helping us decide if we should buy whole or 2% milk. Good thing too.... because we can't tell who the atheists, such as yourself, are to ask for advice.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:47 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
There are such things as rabid, fanatical, and very angry atheists. In my experience with them on forums like this they tend to come out of fundie religions and have a fanatical reaction against it once gone. On the site I mostly participated in before coming here they had a few of them. When the site notified us it was shutting down ( as of yesterday, matter of fact ) and people were asking for suggestions on other places, I studiously avoided mentioning this place because I had not noticed this fanaticism in my time here previous to the shutdown of the other site, and didn't want to let the fanatics know about it.

They are likely a small minority, but they ARE there. Thankfully, as I said, I have not noticed any here.

Fundie fanatics, on the other hand , well , I replaced my view on the most obtuse and ignorant fundie in the world from being one on the previous site to one I ran into here. And this one had to go a LONG way to unseat the previous champion , but he managed it.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:37 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
As an ex Christian I am of the opinion that those who follow the path of organized religion do so for a number of reasons, my own experience as a kid indoctrinated into religion makes me exempt from this reasoned path approach. I don't have any rigid beliefs now, I also have learned to accept those who do. Einstein's statement was one of disdain for the bellicose atheist, in other writings regarding his personal life it can be shown that he had a dislike for all people who demonstrated a fair amount of aggression and hatred.

When we see a rise in the theological premise being a driver of legislation then the divide between the believers and non believers grows into a very real chasm of thought, I'm hoping that all religious people can find it in their heart to accept that we all don't subscribe to a single view, leaving government law to represent us in all things political.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:56 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
There are such things as rabid, fanatical, and very angry atheists. In my experience with them on forums like this they tend to come out of fundie religions and have a fanatical reaction against it once gone. On the site I mostly participated in before coming here they had a few of them. When the site notified us it was shutting down ( as of yesterday, matter of fact ) and people were asking for suggestions on other places, I studiously avoided mentioning this place because I had not noticed this fanaticism in my time here previous to the shutdown of the other site, and didn't want to let the fanatics know about it.

They are likely a small minority, but they ARE there. Thankfully, as I said, I have not noticed any here.

Fundie fanatics, on the other hand , well , I replaced my view on the most obtuse and ignorant fundie in the world from being one on the previous site to one I ran into here. And this one had to go a LONG way to unseat the previous champion , but he managed it.
You didn't refer some Fundies to this Board?! Please reconsider...they make this forum!
Middle-of-the-road Generic/Non-religious Theists and Non-Militant Atheists are kinda boring.
You know it's the opposing Fundie dustups are the real "good stuff" around here...well, they are to me anyway.
Please refer them if you are still able.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:40 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Of course I can. He was a smart man.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:43 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:

Yes, I believe it and I agree with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality