U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:20 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,755,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

It's all good, as all of those are usurped pagan holidays anyways. Some Christians actually recognize that, and then there are those, well, love their ignorance.
You can look at it that way. But the pagans don't seem to. They still have a yule log under the fire, they still give gifts. Much of their easter symbols are intact. And halloween is still fun. Is it really usurping if they pretty much can continue as normal? As the article showed, alot of pagans celebrate both.

Quote:
I went to one once many years ago, put on by a pentecostal church. The highlight of the event was the abortion scene, followed up in the next room by the mom in hell, being tortured by demons scene. Honestly is more shocking/gruesome than just about any 'normal' haunted house I had been to. Oh I also remember a depressing suicide room as well. And yes it ended with the last room being heaven and their salvation message.
That's nothing. I was in Washington attending a wedding. The priest there decided to slip in a repentance sermon during the wedding ceremony. It's like, you're not going to talk about about the love of Christ as shown by the couple, you're going to tell us all to repent? Wtf?

Well, it's hardly nothing. But in terms of tasteless, it has been worse.

Another time, it was around Easter and went to do farm volunteering out in CA. The place I was at was an actual cult, and they talked about "removing the leaven from our lives". I kid you not. Next Sunday, I went to an actual church, and they were like "we don't have to do that anymore" to the old Jewish blood sacrifices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:42 AM

13,113 posts, read 17,658,319 times
well I remember putting a sign on the door for my elderly neighbor saying she did not celebrate Halloween and to please not knock on her door . The next morning I had to help her pick out toilet paper out of her trees because some adult got ticked because her lil snowflake did not get candy from that house . Oh and let us not forget about the eggs , some teenagers thought it would be funny to egg her house as well and the soap and water it cost to get that stuff off her home . People need to leave people alone if they don't celebrate Halloween that is fine with me and totally their business . Why do people feel the need to punish people for being Christians ? I don't get it .

Old 11-01-2015, 06:29 AM

3,445 posts, read 1,259,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I suppose beating, scourging and whipping Jesus to a bloody pulp and offering him as a blood sacrifice to God is a suitable alternative to all the "ugly, nasty and disgusting stuff" of Halloween, huh?
As said before, I am not a Christian so it doesn't relate to me.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:36 AM

84,989 posts, read 98,847,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You can look at it that way. But the pagans don't seem to. They still have a yule log under the fire, they still give gifts. Much of their easter symbols are intact. And halloween is still fun. Is it really usurping if they pretty much can continue as normal? As the article showed, alot of pagans celebrate both.
From my link: "As with many of our church traditions, it is likely that our practices surrounding Halloween and All Saints are mixed with pre-Christian practices as well, particularly Celtic pagan celebrations around the harvest and changing of the seasons. Culture is fluid, and our faith finds imagery and customs within a variety of cultures. That our Christian holiday practices have some pagan influence or antecedent shouldn’t disturb us. That is simply how culture works."

Now I've said similar on these boards for years. But maybe it sounds more official coming from a Lutheran minister. Probably not, to those who are really looking for a "gotcha".

Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 AM

16,238 posts, read 7,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I remember putting a sign on the door for my elderly neighbor saying she did not celebrate Halloween and to please not knock on her door . The next morning I had to help her pick out toilet paper out of her trees because some adult got ticked because her lil snowflake did not get candy from that house . Oh and let us not forget about the eggs , some teenagers thought it would be funny to egg her house as well and the soap and water it cost to get that stuff off her home . People need to leave people alone if they don't celebrate Halloween that is fine with me and totally their business . Why do people feel the need to punish people for being Christians ? I don't get it .
Seems to me that what happened to her - and it was deplorable - had nothing to do with her being christian.

There have been years when I chose not to participate in trick-or-treat, and I'm an atheist. It was simple - I didn't leave the porch light on, nor any lights that could be seen from the front of the house, and went to the library or out somewhere. No problem.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:26 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I went to one once many years ago, put on by a pentecostal church. The highlight of the event was the abortion scene, followed up in the next room by the mom in hell, being tortured by demons scene. Honestly is more shocking/gruesome than just about any 'normal' haunted house I had been to. Oh I also remember a depressing suicide room as well. And yes it ended with the last room being heaven and their salvation message.
I live in New England and we don't have any that I've found, so I've never been to one. But there is a good documentary on Netflix about a hell house.
From what I saw, I agree with you about how it's more graphic than traditional open houses. It's weird because I know the churches that do them have very conservative hard line beliefs and fully believe what they're showing is real. Yet I can't take it seriously, at all.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:29 AM

5,564 posts, read 3,135,145 times
Quote:
She could have simply kept the porch light off and, if possible, kept lights in the front rooms off, as well. People, as a general rule, don't bother going to houses that don't appear welcoming.

Putting the sign out there, though, made her sound uppity and "holier-than-thou." Those who vandalized her house most likely saw her sign as an implied accusation that Halloween is bad and everyone celebrating it is living in sin (but see, look at me, I'm being a good Christian by avoiding the holiday altogether!)

Keep in mind, too, that the tradition of going door-to-door for candy is called "TRICK or treating." If you don't give a treat, you get the trick ... which in today's world usually means soap, eggs, and toilet paper.

Do I actively condone what happened to this woman? No ... and I would never do such a thing myself. However, I don't actively condemn the adults and kids (either or both) who tricked up her house because the sign WAS kind of pompous and sanctimonious. No permanent damage was done -- it's just annoying extra work.

Of course that's no different, I suppose, than the neighborhood rugrats doing the same to my house because they thought my female roommate and I were gay and, as Christians, they must teach us a lesson on Halloween ... right? *shrug* Just saying that Christians aren't the only "innocent" victims on nights like that.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:59 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,755,316 times
Quote:
You're right, you don't get it.

Not celebrating Halloween =/= Christian.

Halloween: A Distinctly Christian Holiday - Reformation21

Halloween is not a celebration of death. Halloween is a celebration of the triumph over death. We have a dark, scary night. But it isn't about kids becoming scary monsters. It's about people scoffing in the face of death, because they know Christ has saved them from death. That is the point.

And to those who TP'd their house, get a grip. They posted a notice. Keep going and go elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,560,554 times
When i was a kid ,we did what every body else did, and never took much thought over it , christian or not it was a cultural tradition .
Some churches had events for the kids, but no one was discouraged from the trick or treating or other fun house activities .
What we didn't realize then was the compromise with something quite contrary to God ,,lead to further compromises in darker and darker behaviors ,actually marketing the event more seriously.
From a time when those that were into witch craft hid themselves from public awareness, to the point now even the presidents mother in law is into the dark arts. and the leadership of the country are openly involved in it. ( Illuminadi Freemasons )
It is no wonder christianity is under attack .
Being taught to be passive ,as christians we did not take an active stand against the damaging tendencies of compromise to the wicked , reinventing pagan celebrations as the catholic church did ,for public acceptance , and they flourished.
Now the line is not always easily recognized between those that Love the world, and those that love God, Christian or not.
If one cannot recognize the offense to God it is, to misrepresent Him , and shun all that has been said in scriptures God spoke concerning His expectations , and resist the govern of God via the Holy Spirit .
These are not repentant at all, but rebellion remains in them.
Jesus lordship is not in them.
Loving like the world expects, is compromise with rebellion .
God's love does not compromise with rebellion.

If He did, Satan would not have been cast out of heaven.
Neither would there be any judgment for sin.
No need for Jesus provision of the Holy Spirit, to guide believers in God's will.
Repentance would not be necessary.
This is what the ungodly world want's.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:45 PM

13,113 posts, read 17,658,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
She could have simply kept the porch light off and, if possible, kept lights in the front rooms off, as well. People, as a general rule, don't bother going to houses that don't appear welcoming.

Putting the sign out there, though, made her sound uppity and "holier-than-thou." Those who vandalized her house most likely saw her sign as an implied accusation that Halloween is bad and everyone celebrating it is living in sin (but see, look at me, I'm being a good Christian by avoiding the holiday altogether!)

Keep in mind, too, that the tradition of going door-to-door for candy is called "TRICK or treating." If you don't give a treat, you get the trick ... which in today's world usually means soap, eggs, and toilet paper.

Do I actively condone what happened to this woman? No ... and I would never do such a thing myself. However, I don't actively condemn the adults and kids (either or both) who tricked up her house because the sign WAS kind of pompous and sanctimonious. No permanent damage was done -- it's just annoying extra work.

Of course that's no different, I suppose, than the neighborhood rugrats doing the same to my house because they thought my female roommate and I were gay and, as Christians, they must teach us a lesson on Halloween ... right? *shrug* Just saying that Christians aren't the only "innocent" victims on nights like that.
This lady was 93 yrs old and could have had a heart attack or fallen trying to clean that mess off , then how would those kids / adults felt ? No I don't understand people acting like a jackwagon when someone does not do like they do . Don't like it move on down the road there are plenty of people handing out the treats . and this lady should not have to keep her light off on her porch or any other area because she does not celebrate the holiday .sanctimonious and pompous = egging and tping . Okay got it will have to remember that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality