Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Several years ago, I volunteered at a local organization that operated the local food shelf and did a lot of good around the community. I served on the board of directors. Also on the board were a lot of the local clergy. We were planning a Halloween party for the kids to be held at the grade school. The local Congregational minister had issues with calling it a Halloween party. He said, "I can't participate in something that is called Halloween because that is the devil's holiday." I was wondering if he would participate in it no matter what it was called. So, the first name they came up with was October Fest. Of course, that is usually associated with beer-not really good for school kids. So, they decided on the name October Fun Fest. WOO HOO! And just as I suspected, the Congregational minister did not donate his time to the kids on that night. I still called it a Halloween Party and so did all the kids. They weren't fooled by someone who is afraid of the name Halloween. A rose by any other name...

I grew up in a very conservative town that was overwhelmingly Christian. Halloween was a BIG deal. The city sponsored a kiddie Halloween parade every year. We got to march down the main street in town and show off our costumes. They let us out of school if Halloween fell during the week. None of the churches complained. Some of the kids marched with their Sunday School groups. We had a blast. There was a HUGE night-time parade the weekend before Halloween. Marching bands, floats, celebrities riding in convertibles.

Fifty years later it's still going strong and still called Halloween. The town has not shown any signs of the devil taking over, causing havoc and chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 02:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I am not a Christian so I can't speak on their behalf.

Not celebrating or Celebrating Halloween whichever way one wants is a free choice. And in my opinion the OP is subtly trying to criticize those who may not agree with his ideaology.

For some people Halloween is fun but that doesn't mean it should be fun for everyone else.
The meaning of "fun" could vary from person to person - pretty useless OP in my opinion.
There is no subtly attempted. I'm blatant about my criticism. And blunt.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:31 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
I am not a Christian so I can't speak on their behalf.

Not celebrating or Celebrating Halloween whichever way one wants is a free choice. And in my opinion the OP is subtly trying to criticize those who may not agree with his ideaology.

For some people Halloween is fun but that doesn't mean it should be fun for everyone else.
The meaning of "fun" could vary from person to person - pretty useless OP in my opinion.
It is not about you having fun. It is about children having fun. If a kid doesn't want candy from a neighbor he is a weird kid or brainwashed by their parents and still weird.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:39 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
My son wishes all a Happy Halloween.....

Old 10-31-2015, 02:56 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, a fun children's event is made 'evil' by fundies. They have Trunk or Treat events instead.

What a bunch of losers who need to see 'da devil' in everything and anything. Come on people, it's a custom party, it is not a warlock convention.

JesusWeen: Tract or treat! - Entertaining Faith

Even most Christians agree that Halloween is fun, not pagan - On Faith & Culture

Note:

Most mainstream Christians think this as stupid as I do, but I bet there are some on these boards that support the backwards fundie thinking outlined in those articles.
By the way... Do any of you so-called "Christians" know why it's called Halloween? No?

Hallowe'en (that's how it's really spelled) stands for All Hallows Even(ing) that is, it's the Christmas Eve of All Hallows. What is All Hallows, you ask? All Saints Day. The day when we celebrate the saints of God.

Rewind here. Until we got all goofy about witchcraft, say 200-400 years ago, we had Christian missionaries to Germany, Ireland, places like that. We have all this atheist fluff about killing witches. But generally this practice didn't work. What did, was trying to make common ground. Here's an illustration according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Saxons repeatedly refused Christianization and the rule of Charlemagne, and therefore rebelled frequently. In the year 782 of this period, Charlemagne is recorded as having massacred 4,500 rebel Saxon prisoners in Verden (the Massacre of Verden), and imposing legislation upon the subjected Saxons that including the penalty of death for refusing conversion to Christianity or for aiding pagans who did the same (such as the Capitulatio de partibus Saxoniae). While rebellions continued to take place even after his death (such as that of the Stellinga), Charlemagne succeeded in laying the groundwork for the Christianization of the Saxons, yet was unable to reach the Scandinavians, who remained pagan.
Didn't really work, and they had to kill a bunch of people.

Quote:
The Anglo-Saxon conversion in particular was a gradual process that necessarily included many compromises and syncretism. A famous letter from Pope Gregory to Mellitus in June 601, for example, is quoted encouraging the appropriation of pagan temples and festivals for Christian use.
The temples of the idols in that nation ought not to be destroyed; but let the idols that are in them be destroyed; let holy water be made and sprinkled in the said temples, let altars be erected, and relics placed. For if those temples are well built, it is requisite that they be converted from the worship of devils to the service of the true God .... And because they have been used to slaughter many oxen in the sacrifices to devils, some solemnity must be exchanged for them on this account .... but kill cattle to the praise of God .... For there is no doubt that it is impossible to efface everything at once from their obdurate minds; because he who endeavours to ascend to the highest place, rises by degrees or steps, and not by leaps.
Christmas Tree? Middle ground between pagan tree worship, winter ritual holidays, and Christianity. They were trying to take pagan customs and teach them about concepts of immortality (the Christmas tree is evergreen and never loses its leaves, like the immortality of Jesus, also Jesus is born during the time that is seemingly the coldest and most dead (what, you think that is the calendar date of Jesus's birth?)).

Easter Egg? Symbol of fertility and rebirth. Also, the egg is a Jewish Passover symbol.

Halloween? We have a night, Samhain which is a festival of death. On this night, people dress as creatures, as a sort of "scaring off" of death and fear. They effectively are turning a night of fear or death, into The idea is not to scare people, so much as to enjoy yourself. That you make a fuss about this, means you are afraid of it! The theme of death for Halloween is backlit by the next day, a celebration of the lives and death of Christians coming before.

Pagans and Halloween - Should Pagans Celebrate Halloween? - Is Halloween Anti-Wiccan?
http://religion.answers.wikia.com/wi...rate_Christmas
http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.htm...lidays&id=1991

It's all good. Christmas, Easter, Halloween. Pagans are cool with these holidays. If we were a bit more cool, we'd be okay with Pagan holidays too.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 10-31-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
By the way... Do any of you so-called "Christians" know why it's called Halloween? No?

Hallowe'en (that's how it's really spelled) stands for All Hallows Even(ing) that is, it's the Christmas Eve of All Hallows. What is All Hallows, you ask? All Saints Day. The day when we celebrate the saints of God.

Rewind here. Until we got all goofy about witchcraft, say 200-400 years ago, we had Christian missionaries to Germany, Ireland, places like that. We have all this atheist fluff about killing witches. But generally this practice didn't work. What did, was trying to make common ground. Here's an illustration according to Wikipedia:

Didn't really work, and they had to kill a bunch of people.

Christmas Tree? Middle ground between pagan tree worship, winter ritual holidays, and Christianity. They were trying to take pagan customs and teach them about concepts of immortality (the Christmas tree is evergreen and never loses its leaves, like the immortality of Jesus, also Jesus is born during the time that is seemingly the coldest and most dead (what, you think that is the calendar date of Jesus's birth?)).

Easter Egg? Symbol of fertility and rebirth. Also, the egg is a Jewish Passover symbol.

Halloween? We have a night, Samhain which is a festival of death. On this night, people dress as creatures, as a sort of "scaring off" of death and fear. They effectively are turning a night of fear or death, into The idea is not to scare people, so much as to enjoy yourself. That you make a fuss about this, means you are afraid of it! The theme of death for Halloween is backlit by the next day, a celebration of the lives and death of Christians coming before.

Pagans and Halloween - Should Pagans Celebrate Halloween? - Is Halloween Anti-Wiccan?
Do Pagans celebrate Christmas? - Religion Answers - Wikia
Witchvox Article

It's all good. Christmas, Easter, Halloween. Pagans are cool with these holidays. If we were a bit more cool, we'd be okay with Pagan holidays too.

It's all good, as all of those are usurped pagan holidays anyways. Some Christians actually recognize that, and then there are those, well, love their ignorance.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Or perhaps the op is not so subtly pointing out that christians can butt the hell out of other people's holidays.

Oh, I'm sorry, it's only the war on christmas that's unfair.
kinda gets ironic is long it? Non-believers getting worried about having their Holidays" being butted in?

Old 10-31-2015, 04:05 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
I stopped celebrating Halloween when I was eleven year old I believed I needed to just grow up , then I became a believer of Jesus Christ thirty years later , and I am still not interested in the Halloween parties or any trick or treat or costumes or supporting the day

Old 10-31-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
kinda gets ironic is long it? Non-believers getting worried about having their Holidays" being butted in?
Huh?

Believers seem to want to wrap all things holiday into their skewed perspectives.

They usurped the Winter Solstice celebration, and called it Christmas, from the pagans.

They usurped the Spring Equinox celebration, and called it Easter, from the pagans.

They usurped Halloween celebration, the night before All Hallowed day, from the pagans.

And then got all confused.

They whine and snivel about "taking the Christ out of Christmas" not recognizing that only in English does that even make sense, and now, the move is to instead disavow any connection to Halloween, getting all confused about its history, and now calling it devils work.

Well, sportsfan, Christmas is much more pagan. But oh no, that one you forget all about its roots.

Crazy, isn't it?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:17 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
It's bogus.
But then ... "fun tricks" and "tasty treats" are very popular in my sphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality