Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You'll get it eventually, Jeff was probably referring to the children as following in their evil ways as their parents and that is a possibility but I believe there is one more reason.
There is NO good reason for a supposedly-omnipotent god wiping out 99.9% of life on earth.

None.

Zero. Nada. Rien. Zip.

The bible god makes Satan look like a boy scout. He, not old Lucifer, is the epitome of all that is evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 11:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Wouldn't the world be so much different if we followed god's parenting example?
Since none of us are without sin and innocent, it wouldn't really be just to try to punish others for the same things we're guilty of.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So what do you suppose God saw in a toddler's heart that made that toddler deserve death-by-drowning? Any theories? Were wicked toddlers roaming the earth?

What did they tell you in Bible study, Jeff? Did you just nod your head and accept that kids deserved to breathe in filthy, mucky water and die a horrid death separated from their mothers? After learning about the wicked children wiped out during the flood did you go out for Sunday brunch?
Of coarse the children were innocent as all children are but not the older ones and who was to take care of the children if left behind? Certainly not the parents whose judgement day had come and so God took them to be where they could not be bent to their parent's evil ways anymore. As a modern day example, consider the children of terrorist who take up arms and bombs at the behest of their parents. Too bad God didn't take them also before they knew such evil. Perhaps He doesn't just to show us what went on in Noah's day. You do watch the news, don't you?

Make no mistake, God does take responsibility when the parents refuse to. His is a far better place, eternal, joyful and the children are to be envied even though there was a brief moment of suffering before that happened. You would be thankful if your end that might be accompanied by suffering would at last have everlasting bliss. It is a mistake to judge everything according to temporal values.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are intent on NOT understanding my reverence for the Bible as a source of inspirations from God because for you everything in it MUST be 100% true, which is preposterous! It telss us of jesus and it gives us enough information that we can understand the "mind of Christ" as a representative of the mind of God. You refuse to use that knowledge and the Spirit of agape love that Jesus embodied to TEST the Spirit of what is in the Bible and ONLY use those verses that are compatible and consistent with the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God). Now, pay attention and stop lying about me and my reverence for the scriptures. I use them intelligently, NOT blindly. I have studied to show myself approved over decades. You have simply accepted whole hog whatever you have been told and parroted it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If you can't have faith that the entire Bible is the Word of God, how can you trust any of it? Now your faith becomes only your opinion on which passages should be accepted. On the other hand, I've witnessed pastors mine hundreds of sermon messages throughout the entire Bible and people get saved as a result. The Holy Spirit wouldn't be working through text that was "barbaric" and wrong.
Stop and READ, Jeff. It is NOT MY OPINION about which passages to accept. It is their compatibility and consistency with the Spirit of agape love as demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. The Spirit of agape love (Who IS God) is the absolute standard and is NOT subject to anyone's personal opinions or preferences. What about that do you not understand, Jeff? Instead of BLIND acceptance of everything you have to study to show yourself approved and TEST everything against the Spirit of agape love embodied in the "mind of Christ."
Quote:
Furthermore, your constant support and high fiving of atheists certainly won't lead people to Christ. Rather the opposite.
I don't particularly support atheists or theists, Jeff. I support the truth whenever I see it and regardless who posts it. You seem to think that atheists cannot post the truth and that those who believe as you do only post the truth. That is ridiculous.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You'll get it eventually, Jeff was probably referring to the children as following in their evil ways as their parents and that is a possibility but I believe there is one more reason.

I get it, to give the Irish Rovers something to sing about. I used to like their show when I was young.

Its not a Jewish High Holiday, so no I will probably not get why this story is in the Bible. I also do not get why it is not taken as a parable instead of a literal statement.

I also do not get why one cannot make judgment on a god who drowns baby animals because all humans except for 8 are evil. One can judge a historial or fictional character if they want based on the statements written about them or the narration they supposedly spoke. If a believer makes the claim that their god is perfect are we supposed to simply accept what they say as the truth or can we not argue against it based on the claims made in their own holy book?

Enough of the guessing you can let me know what I am missing from Jeff's post. In the meantime I will continue to look at the flood story as at best a teaching moment parable but one without any of the geological evidence that some claim to make it up. We in science already know what happens to the viablity of a species when its gene pool gets too small that is is difficult to comprehend that every species of animals had a smaller gene pool that the critical mass for a healthy population. Baby rhinos are so quite but the literalists never think of them

Old 11-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Of coarse the children were innocent as all children are but not the older ones and who was to take care of the children if left behind? Certainly not the parents whose judgement day had come and so God took them to be where they could not be bent to their parent's evil ways anymore. As a modern day example, consider the children of terrorist who take up arms and bombs at the behest of their parents. Too bad God didn't take them also before they knew such evil. Perhaps He doesn't just to show us what went on in Noah's day. You do watch the news, don't you?

Make no mistake, God does take responsibility when the parents refuse to. His is a far better place, eternal, joyful and the children are to be envied even though there was a brief moment of suffering before that happened. You would be thankful if your end that might be accompanied by suffering would at last have everlasting bliss. It is a mistake to judge everything according to temporal values.
The above is the result of the disease of religion acting upon a brain.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post

His is a far better place, eternal, joyful and the children are to be envied even though there was a brief moment of suffering before that happened.

Seeing your mother swept away, calling for her, hearing the screams of people who know they are going to drown, then having your lungs filled with filthy, mucky water takes MUCH more than a "brief" moment.

If you "envy" kids who die a horrible death because you think, "Whoopie! They're in heaven now!" ....... oh... my....goodness.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,731,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Seeing your mother swept away, calling for her, hearing the screams of people who know they are going to drown, then having your lungs filled with filthy, mucky water takes MUCH more than a "brief" moment.

If you "envy" kids who die a horrible death because you think, "Whoopie! They're in heaven now!" ....... oh... my....goodness.
And how many people in life die pleasantly and blissfully? Yeah drowning is awful but so is countless other ways of dying. That's just the unfortunate reality of life in a sin fallen world. Even all the wealth, technology and medicine in the world can't prevent it. Just look at any celebrity who died in 2015 who can afford the best care out there. I picked Leonard Nimoy at random. He died from COPD. Imagine having to gasp for breath in your last days.

If God had spared these children then odds are that they would grow up to continue to trend of wickedness and destruction. Wicked people in particular tend to not die happy.

The odds are most of us are going to exit this world in some unpleasant fashion, but we claim victory knowing our brief exit will be in exchange for eternal pain free existence with God.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And how many people in life die pleasantly and blissfully? Yeah drowning is awful but so is countless other ways of dying. That's just the unfortunate reality of life in a sin fallen world. Even all the wealth, technology and medicine in the world can't prevent it. Just look at any celebrity who died in 2015 who can afford the best care out there. I picked Leonard Nimoy at random. He died from COPD. Imagine having to gasp for breath in your last days.

If God had spared these children then odds are that they would grow up to continue to trend of wickedness and destruction. Wicked people in particular tend to not die happy.

The odds are most of us are going to exit this world in some unpleasant fashion, but we claim victory knowing our brief exit will be in exchange for eternal pain free existence with God.
Further evidence of the dreadful damage religion can do when it takes root in the brains of the afflicted.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:45 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
Quote:

I agree and how are young children to take care of themselves without parents, evil as they were ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality