Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 09:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Type, "Atheist Definition" in your search bar. When the results pop up...go to the top expert at defining words "Merriam-Webster". Check it out.
I do accept all definitions...inclusive of that from what I consider the foremost expert at defining words--Websters.
I've been here 5 1/2 years...thousands of posts. It is easy to know my perception of God, as I have put it forth many hundreds of times.
As far as my view as to the existence of Religious Deities: I have great faith in the merit of my belief that they are all fictitious entities used as metaphorical vehicles within philosophical writings and stories.
I have not read your 5 1/2 years of posting so a bit of an assumption on your part as is that Merriam-Webster is the world's leading experts of words.J if you want to use only the one definition it states someone who does not believe that God exists. Still a statement of belief and opinion and does not state that an atheist believes that a god cannot exist or that their is proof that God does not exist.

So after your claim that you do not cherry pick definitions but insisted that only one definition, the one you wanted can be used in a covsesation with you it ends up you are still wrong. I have no problem with you choosing which of the definitions of God you believe in but I will not allow you to demand that my atheism must follow only your select one.

I suppose word games until you frustrate a person enough they give up discussing with you gives you a sort of satisfaction.

You had stated that you use all definitions of the terms and don't cherry pick but you only use one for atheism and that is not the one used by most atheist, you believe in evidence of God yet believe that some are fictional even though they must be part of the definition of God .

Webster cannot even spell colour correctly 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I have not read your 5 1/2 years of posting so a bit of an assumption on your part as is that Merriam-Webster is the world's leading experts of words.J if you want to use only the one definition it states someone who does not believe that God exists. Still a statement of belief and opinion and does not state that an atheist believes that a god cannot exist or that their is proof that God does not exist.

So after your claim that you do not cherry pick definitions but insisted that only one definition, the one you wanted can be used in a covsesation with you it ends up you are still wrong. I have no problem with you choosing which of the definitions of God you believe in but I will not allow you to demand that my atheism must follow only your select one.

I suppose word games until you frustrate a person enough they give up discussing with you gives you a sort of satisfaction.

You had stated that you use all definitions of the terms and don't cherry pick but you only use one for atheism and that is not the one used by most atheist, you believe in evidence of God yet believe that some are fictional even though they must be part of the definition of God .

Webster cannot even spell colour correctly 😊
Many list the same definition. Cambridge, Learner's, Macmillans and more. I accept those and all others...they ALL are to be considered.

If any perception of God exists...than it cannot be reasonably claimed God doesn't exist.
You can claim Thor, Zeus, Allah, Yahweh, etc don't actually exist, and demand proof. But since it is known that "God" is not limited to Religious Deities...and there certainly are perceptions of God that do, and can be proven, to exist...it is an insult to those that have NonDeity perceptions of God to make general statements declaring even the supposition that God is nonexistent.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:13 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
I have found the "ignore" feature to be quite handy for posters who like to play word games instead of contributing anything meaningful to a debate.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Many list the same definition. Cambridge, Learner's, Macmillans and more. I accept those and all others...they ALL are to be considered.

If any perception of God exists...than it cannot be reasonably claimed God doesn't exist.
You can claim Thor, Zeus, Allah, Yahweh, etc don't actually exist, and demand proof. But since it is known that "God" is not limited to Religious Deities...and there certainly are perceptions of God that do, and can be proven, to exist...it is an insult to those that have NonDeity perceptions of God to make general statements declaring even the supposition that God is nonexistent.
It's still word games. Nobody is saying that you can't label anything you want "God" - even the idea of God or a god or the idea of a large rock called "God" and say that means God exists. Nobody denies that you can do that. We are saying that we do not buy it. That is we are not interested in those word games. We are debating some more specific definitions of god of which a creator of our universe and the specific god of the Bible are the more relevant definitions.

If you call that cherry picking, I say it is being on topic on this forum. If you want to call the empire state building "God" then go and tell them on the architecture forum. If you are posting in the religion forum, you will use the relevant definitions for the topic.

Oh, by the way, since the definition "atheist" looks like coming up - dictionaries do give definitions. Often multiple definitions. But the fact is that they give all the definitions they know of. They do not have to be accurate but reflect usages, accurate, popular and indeed incorrect. What this means is that the dictionary doees not define what we are. We say what we are and indicate the definition that fits us. You do not get to pick the one you like and insist that it applies to us, no matter what we say.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-14-2015 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I have found the "ignore" feature to be quite handy for posters who like to play word games instead of contributing anything meaningful to a debate.
I was saving that for Gldnrule's anticipated response. But since you mention it...

Should he say something along the lines of 'So what? What are you going to do about it?" I will say that at best, his posts on those lines will be denounced as crap and ignored, if indeed the ignore button is not employed. I don't want to do that; I want him to be reasonable and a worthwhile poster, not a time -waster.

At worst, off - topic posts could be reported, deleted and persistent posting of God -usages that are nothing to do with religion even in its broader sense will get his ass banned. If I understand the ToS correctly.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's still word games. Nobody is saying that you can't label anything you want "God" - even the idea of God or a god or the idea of a large rock called "God" and say that means God exists. Nobody denies that you can do that. We are saying that we do not buy it. That is we are not interested in those word games. We are debating some more specific definitions of god of which a creator of our universe and the specific god of the Bible are the more relevant definitions.

If you call that cherry picking, I say it is being on topic on this forum. If you want to call the empire state building "God" then go and tell them on the architecture forum. If you are posting in the religion forum, you will use the relevant definitions for the topic.

Oh, by the way, since the definition "atheist" looks like coming up - dictionaries do give definitions. Often multiple definitions. But the fact is that they give all the definitions they know of. They do not have to be accurate but reflect usages, accurate, popular and indeed incorrect. What this means is that the dictionary doees not define what we are. We say what we are and indicate the definition that fits us. You do not get to pick the one you like and insist that it applies to us, no matter what we say.
Translation: I will INSIST on cherry-picking the definition of God to mean Deities and ONLY Deities...because I know if I don't, the concept i embrace is exposed for the illogical concept it is.
Got it!
You have been promoted in your Fundie rank...to Master Fundie!

Old 11-14-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I was saving that for Gldnrule's anticipated response. But since you mention it...

Should he say something along the lines of 'So what? What are you going to do about it?" I will say that at best, his posts on those lines will be denounced as crap and ignored, if indeed the ignore button is not employed. I don't want to do that; I want him to be reasonable and a worthwhile poster, not a time -waster.

At worst, off - topic posts could be reported, deleted and persistent posting of God -usages that are nothing to do with religion even in its broader sense will get his ass banned. If I understand the ToS correctly.
Hey! There's a good idea!...cry to Mommy! It saves trying to support the illogical.
I've never done that myself...not EVER...I have no fear of engagement. But if ya can't handle it...do whatcha feel ya gotta do.
If I get kicked off the board for something that innocuous, so be it.
I misjudged you...I always thought you had more to offer than that. I guess I was wrong.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:14 PM

I guess you were. You seem to be wrong about most things. And how typical of you to don the martyr's hat before anyone has hit you. My post was just
(a) pointing out how YOU are wasting OUR time with off -topic irrelevancies.
(b) inviting you to be reasonable
(c) suggesting what we do about if you are not.
You can cry your ass off for all I care.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I guess you were. You seem to be wrong about most things. And how typical of you to don the martyr's hat before anyone has hit you. My post was just
(a) pointing out how YOU are wasting OUR time with off -topic irrelevancies.
(b) inviting you to be reasonable
(c) suggesting what we do about if you are not.
You can cry your ass off for all I care.
Martyr? I explained that I didn't care. What part of "do what you gotta do...so be it" didn't you get?
Ur the one cryin! I responded to posts...and put forth my views. Were your wittle feelings hurt by the words in the box? Awwwwwww.
I'm not cryin...MOF I haven't laughed this hard in a while! HaHaHaHa!!!

Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Try a true expert at defining words like Merriam-Webster...you'll see.
You pick yours. I'll pick mine. That definition was the top result in Google for "atheist". For the umpteenth time you can call me whatever floats your boat. Are all pantheists this difficult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality