U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:29 PM

5,566 posts, read 3,142,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I agree to point. as long as you include everybody.

like what about people that don't want a gay bar? Can they have it? I don't hate gays, I don't want to sit around watching guys that act like a girl and a guy on the dance floor. That's it. It has nothing to do with god for me or that they are "evil".
Except not liking something or not wanting to see gays behave romantically together isn't a good enough reason to ban the existence of a gay bar in your area of town. We all have to put up with things we don't like. Our freedom is measured by our ability to be who we are wherever we are as long as we're not doing anyone real harm. No one has the right to not be offended.

Quote:
what about a student that says thank god at the school podium? You will fight that to the death too? or won't you care? Cause I don't care, that isn't teaching a story that doesn't have facts. Baseless stories don't have a place in education. Or any education really. I don't care what the story is.
If an individual wants to thank his or her god while making a speech, that's his or her right. I have no problems with people expressing their beliefs even if, sometimes, it grates on me like fingers on a chalkboard. However, when an authority figure behind the podium tries to lead everyone in a prayer, I do take offense to that. Would I fight against it? Probably not since it's just not an important enough battle. If it's a private religious school, they can do what they want, but at a public school or state university, for example -- or before a football game at a public school -- yeah, I think religion has gone too far.

Everyone is free to pray individually if they wish and no one should be made to feel uncomfortable, excluded, or "outed" as a non-believer if a prayer breaks out and someone refuses to join in. It's really unfair when a non-believer or a non-Christian is forced to either live a lie and pretend to pray with everyone else -- or have themselves outed as a non-believer by refusing to join in. Unfortunately, in this country, with its insane amount of religiosity, it's just not "safe" for every atheist to admit to being one. Getting "outed" can result in all kinds of repercussions from kids being bullied at school to being socially ostracized from the community, property being vandalized, kids being kicked off sports teams, even the parents losing their jobs.

The intensely negative reaction to atheists in some places is why I go for the jugular of anyone who whines about Christianity being under attack. It is we atheists who always have to worry about the consequences of our beliefs -- NOT Christians.

Quote:
High school should be a place where everybody feels safe to express themselves with the intention of learning and teaching. It is a sanctuary in and for the community to me, for all people. I will fight to the death to protect that meme. That is the starting "if", not "anti-religion".
Yes, I agree with that. Schools do not have to be "religion-free" as long as any religious activity is strictly a student-run, voluntary event. If some Christian kids want to get together after school, during lunch, or during a study hall and have Bible study or have prayer meetings, I don't have a problem with that. Just as long as the school itself keeps out of it. I can understand a teacher being present for supervision, but not as a leader or active participant while on school property and while on the government's dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 12:40 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,725,397 times
What's particularly ironic are people who claim that American public schools do a terrible job of educating our youth; yet they believe those same public schools should somehow be trusted to teach religion.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:03 PM

58 posts, read 24,843 times
good for them. religious indoctrination is for the weak who want to abandon critical thinking

Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 PM

2,446 posts, read 975,106 times
Quote:
I agree to point. as long as you include everybody.

like what about people that don't want a gay bar? Can they have it? I don't hate gays, I don't want to sit around watching guys that act like a girl and a guy on the dance floor. That's it. It has nothing to do with god for me or that they are "evil".

what about a student that says thank god at the school podium? You will fight that to the death too? or won't you care? Cause I don't care, that isn't teaching a story that doesn't have facts. Baseless stories don't have a place in education. Or any education really. I don't care what the story is.

High school should be a place where everybody feels safe to express themselves with the intention of learning and teaching. It is a sanctuary in and for the community to me, for all people. I will fight to the death to protect that meme. That is the starting "if", not "anti-religion".
Well, I don't like McDonald's, why should I theu be allowed to have one near me? I don't like the mall, why should they be allowed to build one near me? I don't like religion, why should they be allowed to build a church near me?

This is why "not liking" something isn't a good enough reason to ban it. The only way the gay club would bother you is if you went in. Same for McDonald's, the mall, or a church. Don't go in. Problem solved.

Students can say whatever they want. It isn't the students we have a problem with. It is when the leadership is the ones pushing religion. Big difference. If they want to have voluntary, student run organizations or clubs, they should go for it. The administration shouldn't be involved.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:15 AM

25,387 posts, read 16,339,456 times
Keep your silly superstitions and cult activities on your own time. Not in taxpayer funded classrooms.

Ideally, schools should educate, and churches indoctrinate. Granted in any number of areas schools stray from that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality