U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:15 AM

12,800 posts, read 10,794,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
In ten billion years it will become boring.
In ten bilion years you will be so tired of each other you would want to kill that someone.
I guess that depends on the person...me?....I know there is no space or time or
matter...
so I'm coming from a diff perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM

12,800 posts, read 10,794,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
... imagine not having to put up with everyone else's incessant
chatter and stupid conversations! now that would be bliss.
Well, just sit in meditation*...after years and for a few hours...you can reach that point of bliss, now....here...and everyday!

* meaning simply...in stillness and silence focusing within.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:41 AM

5,491 posts, read 4,569,561 times
One whom has no love for God ,nor relationship with Him ,I can see the disparity of the future being so dim .
Many "Believers " have never take the effort to build a relationship with God, and simply assume every thing, hoping for the best, just like they do in this life .
God sees the individual with his potentials, and the closer in fellowship and mutual respect and trust the potentials broaden, deepen, diverge, and one's usefulness has many options and opportunities and duties and responsibilities.
But one with no relationship ,his potentials are short sighted and self serving, untrustworthy on an eternal level .

There are souls to manage and the needs of so many to be met , even physical things to be made and maintained.

We know that some spiritual forces can move things and have physical abilities to move things ,having friends that have actually had these event occur ,turning on gas stoves and electrical appliances and water faucets ,things that have no automatic or remote control to them.
If these spiritual beings have this capability ,then a material world is comprehendible in that realm .
The bible speaks of war in heaven and Satan being kicked out ,with a third of the angels , and angels have been armed with weapons as well for both protection and aggression.
My view of eternity is quite complex seeing the diversity of the things God teaches me.
On an eternal level, I can see my self learning and teaching and applying my skills in the future where God needs them.
not that my particular intellect is superior to any one else , by earthly comparisons I am not registered at any IQ level.
Whether you believe in me or not, does not matter, that God believes in me is what matters.
My more important achievement, is to listen to God, and obey Him, and one cannot do better then that .

Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 AM

2,834 posts, read 4,031,303 times
I think it would suck to be immortal, watching all your friends die, your family die and after awhile you would be truly alone, forever. A person would become bored with living, after all, there would be nothing risky in life, nothing to make you feel alive. After eons of living, well, you've done everything been everywhere and your left with the real boredom of life. You can't die, your immortal, you would find that you are the last person on earth, and you can not die, man! that really sucks.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 AM

12,920 posts, read 4,943,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I think it would suck to be immortal, watching all your friends die, your family die and after awhile you would be truly alone, forever. A person would become bored with living, after all, there would be nothing risky in life, nothing to make you feel alive. After eons of living, well, you've done everything been everywhere and your left with the real boredom of life. You can't die, your immortal, you would find that you are the last person on earth, and you can not die, man! that really sucks.
Yep.

Also, you would begin to experience all of the horrible things that are highly unlikely in a normal human lifespan. For example, your chances of being in a plane crash might be one in a million in a normal human lifetime. But if you lived forever you would eventually experience hundreds of plane crashes*. All of those traumatic experiences would probably make you refuse to fly ever again. Someone living forever might eventually become afraid of doing everything. Even eating! You'd probably have almost choked to death while eating several times during the first million years.

*assuming you fly and human aviation still exists millions of years from now

Old 11-05-2015, 04:03 PM

1,721 posts, read 951,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
That's why I prefer the idea of reincarnation. Our souls are immortal, our bodies are not, and once we manage to remember our incarnations, it's all fun. I wanna be a beach babe, a science major, a gymntast, a writer, sure it's all good. The only reason our life sux is cuz we can't remember we're already immortal, and we take this life seriously.
Reincarnation only seems plausible in the loosest, metaphoric way: After an organism dies -regardless what of the species- it's eventually reduced to it's simplest chemical components. These chemicals do eventually become part of other things, but these things aren't us; they're other things that contain small portions of what we once were.

Again, I do like that idea in purely metaphoric terms, but it makes no sense literally. If a rusty old bicycle frame is melted down and made into other things, it's no longer a bike frame even though the chemicals still exist. That's essentially what happens to us; the chemicals that once composed us still exist, but we don't.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:11 PM

1,227 posts, read 561,283 times
I'll just quote from the Edda - my favourite of any sacred writings:

Cattle die, and kinsmen die,
And so dies one's own self;
One thing I know that never dies,
The fame of a dead man's deeds.

The only chance at immortality we have is in the work that we leave behind us. And that is good.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,582,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Someone living forever might eventually become afraid of doing everything.
I had an idea for a sci fi novel once set in a time a few hundred years into the era in which practical biological immortality was available to all. Since I will never write a novel, I toss it out there for someone with talent to develop. My basic concept was that since the only way you could die is in an accident, people would become exceedingly risk-averse and indolent. People who are maimed or handicapped in accidents are shunned as reminders of a largely conquered mortality. Everyone knows they will eventually meet with misfortune so they go out of their way to guard against it.

The plot tension I had in mind was borrowed loosely from the old short story Learning Day ... namely that this setup would be murderous on innovation, which requires risk taking and competition. And so all of that sort of activity is concentrated in a few megacorporations and one of those captains of industry, seeing the end of humanity eventually if something is not done, covertly establishes a colony far from Earth, populated with people who still have within them a spark of creativity and a willingness to not live forever to realize that spark. Some of those being the shunned nonpersons who are maimed or handicapped.

I think it could work, but I am just not interested enough in writing fiction to develop the idea.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:24 PM

7,719 posts, read 3,425,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Forever worshipping a guy who eternally tortures people for finite crimes is not my idea of a fun time either.
So you rather spend eternity with the enemy who spends every day making human beings miserable on this earth?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:47 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,385,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I had an idea for a sci fi novel once set in a time a few hundred years into the era in which practical biological immortality was available to all. Since I will never write a novel, I toss it out there for someone with talent to develop. My basic concept was that since the only way you could die is in an accident, people would become exceedingly risk-averse and indolent. People who are maimed or handicapped in accidents are shunned as reminders of a largely conquered mortality. Everyone knows they will eventually meet with misfortune so they go out of their way to guard against it.

The plot tension I had in mind was borrowed loosely from the old short story Learning Day ... namely that this setup would be murderous on innovation, which requires risk taking and competition. And so all of that sort of activity is concentrated in a few megacorporations and one of those captains of industry, seeing the end of humanity eventually if something is not done, covertly establishes a colony far from Earth, populated with people who still have within them a spark of creativity and a willingness to not live forever to realize that spark. Some of those being the shunned nonpersons who are maimed or handicapped.

I think it could work, but I am just not interested enough in writing fiction to develop the idea.
Interesting idea. Very Ray Bradbury-ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality