Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:32 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,903,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
When I get to Heaven, I'll tell Him to go easy on you.
When are ya going?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:39 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,296,650 times
As I've mentioned in other threads, eternal life seems like one of the worst things I can possibly imagine. I mean what would someone do for eternity? [Assuming eternity exists -which, as finite beings- is impossible for us to even comprehend, much less know if it exists.]

When I was younger, contemplating my own mortality made me somewhat depressed. But now that I'm in my mid-40s, the prospect of ceasing to exist no bothers me. In fact, I take some solace in knowing that all this -my subjective experience- will be over.

To live forever seems absolutely awful to me. The prospect robs life of any and all meaning.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,244,209 times
'People who are miserable would never want eternal life'...
this is what I used to post to Christians thinking this 'eternal' life thing
would be a draw to Jesus. Huh?
How could this possibly interest someone unhappy...and on top of that... thinking
God was a mean punishing Being?

When a person somehow finds the JOY in life, knows the Secret of Life...and thus
happiness and fun and enthusiasm and power and confidence...these are the things
that become enticing enough to want all these neat things to continue
getting better and better.

It's then like a party you don't want to end.

As someone said...'Heaven is like the best org*sm you've ever had but
a 1000xs better that never ends...'...doesn't sound boring to me.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:57 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,296,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It's then like a party you don't want to end.
Life is like a party, but someday, eventually we all have to leave the party. The party will continue without us, but we won't know what happens.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:34 PM

20,397 posts, read 12,694,519 times
What if you could spend eternity with someone you love?

Old 11-04-2015, 09:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,244,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Good one.

That'll mess with 'em!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:22 PM

888 posts, read 451,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I enjoyed the article, which reminded me of the book Tuck Everlasting. It's about a family that drank from a spring that gave them eternal life during which they remain the age as when they drank the water. The family has to play cat and mouse games because they can't remain in any one town for too long because eventually people will figure out they stay the same age. Of course people discover the water, the young girl who now lives on the property and other adults who are up to no good.

It's well written, with themes adults can relate to, and a good read geared towards the junior high crowd, give or take a few years depending on the individual.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
As I've mentioned in other threads, eternal life seems like one of the worst things I can possibly imagine. I mean what would someone do for eternity? [Assuming eternity exists -which, as finite beings- is impossible for us to even comprehend, much less know if it exists.]

When I was younger, contemplating my own mortality made me somewhat depressed. But now that I'm in my mid-40s, the prospect of ceasing to exist no bothers me. In fact, I take some solace in knowing that all this -my subjective experience- will be over.

To live forever seems absolutely awful to me. The prospect robs life of any and all meaning.
There's a whole Universe...

Old 11-04-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And who would that be?...

Old 11-05-2015, 03:26 AM

1,248 posts, read 818,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As someone said...'Heaven is like the best org*sm you've ever had but
a 1000xs better that never ends...'...doesn't sound boring to me.
In ten billion years it will become boring.

Quote:
In ten bilion years you will be so tired of each other you would want to kill that someone.

I would not mind living to be a hundred (provided I will stay in reasonable physical and mental health). After that I am ready to start fertilizing the flowers.

Even my Gods do not live forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality