U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:02 AM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times

Advertisements

Is there any real difference between what the ancient Egyptians believed, compared to what the Roman Empire believed (pagan and Christian), and now modern American Christian society?

This the "god of this world" that the New Testament referred to, I believe. You have to read between the lines to get it though. Try to understand what Paul was trying to really say because that kind of belief system is what I believe the apostles were fighting against. That was "the world" that Paul was in.

Our society has become so organized and industrialized that we lose contact with God and nature. So we try to create an organized system of community and religion. But it doesn't work. All it does it appeal to our lowest base desires, and our arrogance.

But it's really just based on self-imposed misery. We already know inside how we should be treating others, but prefer the insane idea that our behavior doesn't matter to the sky daddy in heaven. This makes Christians live their lives as they please without concern for the oppressed or the needy. As long as they respect daddy he will take care of them. Then they can have complete disregard for their neighbor if their neighbor doesn't share in the belief system.

Belief in the afterlife is proof that you are out of touch with God.

What do you think of this idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 AM

4,480 posts, read 4,218,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is there any real difference between what the ancient Egyptians believed, compared to what the Roman Empire believed (pagan and Christian), and now modern American Christian society?

This the "god of this world" that the New Testament referred to, I believe. You have to read between the lines to get it though. Try to understand what Paul was trying to really say because that kind of belief system is what I believe the apostles were fighting against. That was "the world" that Paul was in.

Our society has become so organized and industrialized that we lose contact with God and nature. So we try to create an organized system of community and religion. But it doesn't work. All it does it appeal to our lowest base desires, and our arrogance.

But it's really just based on self-imposed misery. We already know inside how we should be treating others, but prefer the insane idea that our behavior doesn't matter to the sky daddy in heaven. This makes Christians live their lives as they please without concern for the oppressed or the needy. As long as they respect daddy he will take care of them. Then they can have complete disregard for their neighbor if their neighbor doesn't share in the belief system.

I think the idea of the afterlife is a silly one.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:30 AM

1,227 posts, read 559,051 times
As long as we don't harm anybody, just what the hell is wrong with living as you please?

When I was a Christian, I also had this mindset that the most important thing in life is doing stuff for others, always giving, always helping, always being there, always putting others first.

You know when I had the most spiritual moments of my life, the moments of sheer awe, wonder, beauty and joy, pure and unadulterated? When I was hiking in the mountains, lost in the wonder and beauty of nature, and the only person who was with me was my boyfriend (and he certainly did not need any helping). And no others in sight.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,753,306 times
I think there's a bit of a difference. Ancient Egyptians believed in many gods, and that your soul was weighed against a feather. If you were "lighthearted" you would move on to see your friends, otherwise you get eaten by a crocodile monster.

They also believed the universe was made from an egg. But sure go on believing that they are the same.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 AM

122 posts, read 81,499 times
Quote:

That is not even vaguely what Christians believe or how they attempt to live their lives. When you start with premises that are 180 degrees incorrect, it is difficult to arrive at a sound conclusion. And, indeed, I would have to say that your conclusion regarding belief in the afterlife does not follow from your premises and is 180 degrees incorrect as well. There is plenty to criticize about Christianity and Christians (and all humans, for that matter), but you are simply not in the ballpark. Back to the drawing board.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM

7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
It is easy to just sit there and to reject the blessing of eternal life from Jesus Christ for people who are slackers and would not even try to seek out God and His blessing , and then ridicule people who do look to Jesus and His blessing and plan ....... See the religion of King Tut came to an end after He was gone and the leaders turned back to a former gods which they preferred , and the name of King Tut was erased from History , except his grave told the tail ........................ Where Jesus is not in any grave today as he never built pyramids or a temple of brick and mortar for heaven to remember , For Jesus just walked up to heaven and came back with His Holy Spirit for the Work to continue for all who will come

Old 11-05-2015, 05:44 PM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times
No, I'm not equating Tut with Jesus. Jesus was obviously a great teacher as far as I can tell.

I am comparing the Egyptians to orthodox Christians (or religion of your choice). They all believe in life after death. They believe this because they choose to live so far from God's plan in the real life. They choose to live in darkness.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:46 PM

6,813 posts, read 3,129,492 times
Steve Martin runs thru my mind.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 PM

569 posts, read 336,791 times
Quote:

You meant that some Christians completely disregarded the fellow human beings. That was not necessarily true. We all had our differences as human species. There were some people could sense troubles before they came. Hence they would rely on the Sky Dadd(ies) for the protections. And they could only go on solo.

Yet there were the others that came in the forms of humans, that possessed nothing more than the destructive behaviors. Every thought of their hearts was to destroy. There weren’t nothing could do for them from my perspectives. Therefore, even I the jew had to move on, too.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,270,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Steve Martin runs thru my mind.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's probably more worthwhile to hear that song than read this thread, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or