Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,233,056 times

Advertisements

On another forum there is a really, enthusiastic, inquisitive thinker...
so cute, probably young...
Musing about life, space, God, death, what is 'real', you know, so cute.

So I gave him something to think about and thought this is what everyone
should care about more than words in books, past experiences of others and
interpretations leading to dogmas and repetitive rituals...haha, and arguments!

Just: "If you like to think on these things...think about 'this'...
What is it that was there before I was born and will still be there when I leave here?
What is that thing keeping my body warm and my fingernails growing even while I sleep?
And when it leaves my body...leaves my body cold and everything stops?"

It's like salt in a glass of water...invisible, yet there.
It's like an apple tree...hidden within the seed of the apple....there, but invisible.
Like love in your heart, burning a hole...when you are simply standing in a crowd.
All invisible to the eye.

What is 'that thing'?
I say find 'that' and everything else simple falls into place.
Either you've touch it/felt it or you haven't.
And you can tell who has known this 'thing'...and who has not.

Comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 10:57 AM

18,439 posts, read 9,056,292 times
Um...what?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,031,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Very true.

I knew you had inner joy immediately. I read one post you had made ..... and thought "yep.... she's got it."

Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,320,701 times
Quote:

What is it that was there before I was born and will still be there when I leave here?
What is that thing keeping my body warm and my fingernails growing even while I sleep?

It's like an apple tree...hidden within the seed of the apple....there, but invisible.
Like love in your heart, burning a hole...when you are simply standing in a crowd.

What is 'that thing'?

Comments welcome.
Makes sense, I think. Except, I'm not sure that there is anyone who has NOT touched/felt it at some point. How could we help but do so, since we are permeated by it? We just don't all necessarily know with certainty what 'that thing' is, and perhaps our ignorance about it causes us to not readily recognize it, and therefore to not maintain an awareness of it beyond little glimpses here and there. That's my own fairly ignorant thoughts on the subject.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM

122 posts, read 111,684 times
Quote:

What is 'that thing'?

Comments welcome.
I completely agree, although opinions will vary as to what "it" is. I do think humanity can be broadly divided into "those who get it" and "those who don't," with the latter category considerably outnumbering the former (a large segment comprising "those who don't even care about getting it"). One classic along these lines is Cosmic Consciousness by Maurice Bucke (1901). Bucke agreed that Jesus and Buddha (along with many others) "got it" - but his epitome of cosmic consciousness was American poet Walt Whitman (who unquestionably did "get it"). Another classic, far less widely known, is Secret Splendor by Charles Ernest Essert (1973) - who was an absolute nobody, apart from writing this little gem. I have only read, oh, perhaps 5,000 works on theology and spiritual matters, but when I finished Secret Splendor (many readings ago) I said, "This guy, more than anyone I have ever encountered, got it." The basic thrust is that the divine can be approached only through intuition (not the dualistic, "this vs. that" thinking that we employ in everyday life) and that through intuition one can appreciate the Oneness while accepting that it is ultimately an unknowable mystery. I regard Christianity as the "template" for my beliefs only because, after extensive experience, observation and study, my intuition tells me it is the closest to the Truth of the available alternatives.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Makes sense, I think. Except, I'm not sure that there is anyone who has NOT touched/felt it at some point. How could we help but do so, since we are permeated by it? We just don't all necessarily know with certainty what 'that thing' is, and perhaps our ignorance about it causes us to not readily recognize it, and therefore to not maintain an awareness of it beyond little glimpses here and there. That's my own fairly ignorant thoughts on the subject.
You're cute....'ignorant thoughts on it'.

As children I believe we felt 'something'. Then, we forget as our senses go out into
the world and we tip over the milk and get scolded....where does the
awareness of our Life Force...permeating us,
as you mentioned, go? Out the window.
It is as if we were made to be distracted and not feel the subtleties of life.

I believe that is why it says in Psalms, Be still and know that I am God.
But, who does that?
Because as I have said before it takes a stillness almost beyond belief... for many anyway,
it is beyond belief.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
I completely agree, although opinions will vary as to what "it" is. I do think humanity can be broadly divided into "those who get it" and "those who don't," with the latter category considerably outnumbering the former (a large segment comprising "those who don't even care about getting it").
One classic along these lines is Cosmic Consciousness by Maurice Bucke (1901). Bucke agreed that Jesus and Buddha (along with many others) "got it" - but his epitome of cosmic consciousness was American poet Walt Whitman (who unquestionably did "get it").
Another classic, far less widely known, is Secret Splendor by Charles Ernest Essert (1973) - who was an absolute nobody, apart from writing this little gem. I have only read, oh, perhaps 5,000 works on theology and spiritual matters, but when I finished Secret Splendor (many readings ago) I said, "This guy, more than anyone I have ever encountered, got it."
The basic thrust is that the divine can be approached only through intuition (not the dualistic, "this vs. that" thinking that we employ in everyday life) and that through intuition one can appreciate the Oneness while accepting that it is ultimately an unknowable mystery.
I regard Christianity as the "template" for my beliefs only because, after extensive experience, observation and study, my intuition tells me it is the closest to the Truth of the available alternatives.
Do you know I found a pristine copy of 'Comic Consc..' 3 days ago in a used bookstore and
my eyes popped open, $12. It is difficult to find! I left it there for a perfect person.
But, Secret Splendor! I have to get it! Thank you!!!
OH! I see he also wrote The Journey Within ! What a title!
Your English teacher taught you correctly...we underline titles, haha.

Yes, now others reading this might not understand exactly what we might mean by intuition.
Only thru intuition can we approach the Divine, good one..maybe an easier way to help someone would be...
that part of the mind that gets hunches...feelings we are driving in the wrong direction
even when the paper says this IS the way...
take your umbrella on a sunny day...
this person is not to be trusted even tho they make sense and are smiling...
none of that is logical...a different part of us
is being used...and being brought to the forefront.
Any logical/intellectual person here that fights subtle understandings can admit
to these non-sensical moments, I think.

Yes, it is that part of us that approaches the Divine.
That which is and always was and always will be...belongs to no religion...was before
tongues were even created...and the very second it leaves us, we begin getting colder.

I say know 'That'...and a whole different world of Insight opens to us.
Words on a page can only try to describe it...
Though some have spent their lives trying! Ha!

And hi, DewDropInn,

Old 11-05-2015, 01:38 PM

122 posts, read 111,684 times
Quote:
Do you know I found a pristine copy of 'Comic Consc..' 3 days ago in a used bookstore and
my eyes popped open, $12. It is difficult to find! I left it there for a perfect person.
But, Secret Splendor! I have to get it! Thank you!!!
OH! I see he also wrote The Journey Within ! What a title!
Your English teacher taught you correctly...we underline titles, haha.
The Journey Within is Secret Splendor. The copyright lapsed, and some enterprising sleaze ball attempted to cash in by changing the title and hoping to appeal to the New Age crowd. The original was published by Philosophical Publishing House and can be found at places like Advanced Book Exchange for a few dollars. I feel better reading the original Secret Splendor. If The Journey Withinis not "cursed," it ought to be. I can't remember who it is, but there is some Major Rap (or Hip Hop) Artist who is a major fan of Secret Splendor - I was astounded.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:43 PM

It's ordered!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,846,841 times
The sceptic will say, "energy." When it falls below a certain threshold "life" shuts down. There is an answer, but I don't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality