Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:15 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The bible doesn't cover it, which would require thinking for themselves which, for obvious reasons, is out.

So, best to keep the lips zipped and keyboard unmolested.

And await a topic they can copy/paste some scripture at!

Did you see my response to it? Some of us are willing to think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I still never hear a response from religious fundamentalists about the estimated 30% (I've seen higher estimates) of fertilized eggs that don't implant and grow into humans. What do they make of this? "God works in mysterious ways?" "Its a lie"? If you know so many fertilized eggs never become humans in the regular nature of things, how can you say disposing of fertilized eggs in a laboratory is murder? And they can see which fertilized eggs will grow into humans with decent accuracy (per the article I linked to), so the eggs they dispose of highly likely wouldn't implant and grow anyway.

I will say that personally, once it begins growing and looking like a human, I'm very anti-abortion. But IVF, no problem with that.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I still never hear a response from religious fundamentalists about the estimated 30% (I've seen higher estimates) of fertilized eggs that don't implant and grow into humans. What do they make of this? "God works in mysterious ways?" "Its a lie"? If you know so many fertilized eggs never become humans in the regular nature of things, how can you say disposing of fertilized eggs in a laboratory is murder? And they can see which fertilized eggs will grow into humans with decent accuracy (per the article I linked to), so the eggs they dispose of highly likely wouldn't implant and grow anyway.

I will say that personally, once it begins growing and looking like a human, I'm very anti-abortion. But IVF, no problem with that.
People die every day of natural and unnatural causes -- accidents. But if one kills someone they are guilty of murder. We are not God--we do not get to take death in our own hands and determine if someone should die. Likewise, there is a difference between intentionally disposing of fertilized eggs, and procreating the old fashioned way.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:50 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
People die every day of natural and unnatural causes -- accidents. But if one kills someone they are guilty of murder. We are not God--we do not get to take death in our own hands and determine if someone should die. Likewise, there is a difference between intentionally disposing of fertilized eggs, and procreating the old fashioned way.
Says who? Chapter and verse where God addresses in vitro fertilization?

Vizio--vitro..just a coincidence? I wonder....

Old 11-11-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Says who? Chapter and verse where God addresses in vitro fertilization?
I don't believe I have a right to cause the death of another human being. For that reason I'm opposed to abortion, and it's why my wife and I would not have done in vitro if we hadn't succeeded the old fashioned way. But I also realize that it's something that can be debated -- many people don't consider it that way, and that's why I said it's a judgment call.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:36 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
If you go by the verses of the bible that zthatzmanz28 quoted, you are not a someone until you take your first breath.

So, IVF and abortion with guidelines we have now are well within reason and wouldn't be considered murder the way I see it.

And then there is the fact that you are free to live and define things according to your religious beliefs but you are not free to force others to join you in those beliefs.

If you believe IVF or abortion are murder, that's your choice.

I don't believe either one is murder, that's my choice.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
So "God" can "kill" all the fertilized eggs he wants, but if people do it, it's murder.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I don't believe I have a right to cause the death of another human being. For that reason I'm opposed to abortion, and it's why my wife and I would not have done in vitro if we hadn't succeeded the old fashioned way. But I also realize that it's something that can be debated -- many people don't consider it that way, and that's why I said it's a judgment call.

I'll admit this. I don't consider a fertilized egg to be a human or a soul. But once it implants and starts growing? I have a hard time determining where a line is crossed. Once it looks like a baby, I could have no part in removing/killing it unless there was a medical determination that it was extremely deformed/not going to survive.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:19 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'll admit this. I don't consider a fertilized egg to be a human or a soul. But once it implants and starts growing? I have a hard time determining where a line is crossed. Once it looks like a baby, I could have no part in removing/killing it unless there was a medical determination that it was extremely deformed/not going to survive.
That bolded part right there is the crux. We all draw our lines where they best fit out circumstances (usually). Who's to say where/when life begins and should that even be a question? I honestly don't know.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:58 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That bolded part right there is the crux. We all draw our lines where they best fit out circumstances (usually). Who's to say where/when life begins and should that even be a question? I honestly don't know.
Well, according to the Bible, Adam was alive when he took his first breath. Can't have a soul unless you are alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality