Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
being able to visit every planet and every moon and every star in the universe for as long as I wanted.

At least twice.
Meh. A couple of them...once in a while...here and there.
But, I know I'd lose interest pretty quick. I mean, how many desolate scapes can you really dig on?
Plus...since I really doubt I'd find any of what I would consider hottie alien chicks that wanna hook up...I'd wanna split that boring scene, and get back to "business" on Earth.
Unless you propose something like "Instantaneous Matter Transport"...so I could check out the other locations in the Universe, then just rematerialize back on Earth in a split second. Or, maybe, bring "guests"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
being able to visit every planet and every moon and every star in the universe for as long as I wanted.

At least twice.
Eventually you will get bored. And it will be no more "Heaven".
I think one of the characteristic of being in Heaven is that the feeling of boredom and worry would not exist anymore, otherwise it will be tough to live for eternity.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Eventually you will get bored. And it will be no more "Heaven".
I think one of the characteristic of being in Heaven is that the feeling of boredom and worry would not exist anymore, otherwise it will be tough to live for eternity.
I don't think it would ever become boring...the Universe is a very large place and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the Universe. I am betting no two are alike. I would love to be frozen in time traveling FTL in my suped up time machine and be fully equipped to explore all of these billions of galaxies.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:00 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I don't think it would ever become boring...the Universe is a very large place and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the Universe. I am betting no two are alike. I would love to be frozen in time traveling FTL in my suped up time machine and be fully equipped to explore all of these billions of galaxies.
It would have been true if the following two conditions were met.

1 - No two galaxies are alike (as you stated)
2 - There are infinite numbers of galaxies.

1 is partially agreeable. The galaxies may be different in their shape but the various groups of stars in each galaxy probably have a lot in common with the group of Stars in the other galaxies.

So perhaps you will start skipping or at least spend less time on each star after a first few trillion years of your life.
Eventually, in the next few trillion years, you will start skipping the groups of stars since you would have seen them over and over again in the previously visited galaxies.

Which brings us to point 2
I may be wrong and we may not be able to count them but scientific community believes that the number of stars in the universe are roughly equivalent to the number of sand grains in the ocean.

What does it tell you? Yes, there is a FINITE number of stars. After that, the number of stars end.

So you have an infinite number of years of life to travel and visit a finite number of galaxies and stars - which proves my point. You will eventually run out of galaxies and stars no matter how many times you repeat the journey to travel the entire universe. And hence, you WILL get bored.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:15 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:

1 is partially agreeable. The galaxies may be different in their shape but the various groups of stars in each galaxy probably have a lot in common with the group of Stars in the other galaxies.

So perhaps you will start skipping or at least spend less time on each star after a first few trillion years of your life.
Eventually, in the next few trillion years, you will start skipping the groups of stars since you would have seen them over and over again in the previously visited galaxies.
Sorry for not being clear. I am not interested in visiting the stars...I am interested in visiting the planets that exist in each galaxy. I appreciate stars but since they are a luminous sphere of hot molten plasma held together by their own gravity...there is not much for me to see other than molten plasma.

I am interested in exploring each planet withing a galaxy. Just in our galaxy alone there are over 100 billion planets.

Quote:
I may be wrong and we may not be able to count them but scientific community believes that the number of stars in the universe are roughly equivalent to the number of sand grains in the ocean.

What does it tell you? Yes, there is a FINITE number of stars. After that, the number of stars end.

So you have an infinite number of years of life to travel and visit a finite number of galaxies and stars - which proves my point. You will eventually run out of galaxies and stars no matter how many times you repeat the journey to travel the entire universe. And hence, you WILL get bored.
No I will never get bored since I will not be visiting the stars...only the planets. I want to visit as many far away galaxies that we don't even know exist.

Look how beautiful Andromeda is with it's billions of planets.

Interesting facts:
  • In approximately 4.5 billion years the Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way are expected to collide and the result will be a giant elliptical galaxy.
  • The Andromeda Galaxy is approaching the Milky Way at approximately 100 to 140 kilometres per second. i.e. 68 mi/s.

Attached Thumbnails
For Me - Heaven Would Be-andromedawan.jpg  

Last edited by Matadora; 11-10-2015 at 01:37 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 02:08 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:

At least twice.
I used to think that myself.

I'm visiting Europe at the moment and I find that as such adventures seem less exotic and more commonplace (and it's costing my creaky body more in terms of jet lag, etc) it is less a worthwhile experience. I think that is the essential problem with the removal of all mortal constraints: unless somehow hedonic tone is magically eliminated from the picture -- which would make you not really who you currently are anyway -- somewhere around planet #1,462, you realize that it has nothing new to offer you.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
The authors of the Bible and Quran didn't include any guarantees about not being bored.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
P

I would probably get bored eventually, yes. Which is why I don't really want to live forever. I might enjoy living a "very long time" if I were doing something like exploring the universe.

It'd certainly be a lot more fun / less boring than spending eternity worshipping Yahweh / Allah / Ahura Mazda, etc. Right?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:10 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:

At least twice.
And you'd want your last name to be the Jetsons, okay George you space cadet.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:44 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
When I get to heaven I want to visit planet Earth to see if any intelligent life is on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality