U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:04 PM

10,064 posts, read 4,157,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Except that our Scriptures don't actually teach that sort of thing. Nowhere close.

Yes it does. I guess you just conveniently skip right over those sections.

The christian god as presented in the bible has got to be the most unpleasant characters in ALL FICTION writings…this fictitious god is Jealous and proud of it. Petty, vindictive unjust, unforgiving, racist and an ethnic cleanser urging his people on to acts of genocide. (Does Hitler sound familiar?)

Or the story in the book of Judges about the traveling priest who spent the night at an old man’s house… and when a mob shows up to demand this host hand over his male guest “so that we may know him” and this is what the old man said next and I quote “ Here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them what seemeth good unto you; but unto this man do not so vile a thing”

Judges 19 “While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked men of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him.” The owner of the house went outside and said to them, “No, my friends, don’t be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don’t do this outrageous thing. Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But as for this man, don’t do such an outrageous thing.” But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go.

So this story is about go ahead and enjoy yourself by raping and humiliating my daughter but show proper respect to my guest who is after all a male.

The punishing for not believing. The curse on all humanity for eating fruit.

Leviticus 30:13: "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Deuteronomy 21: "18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death.

Evil Bible Quotes

Now what were you just saying about your scriptures not teaching that sort of thing?

Last edited by Matadora; 11-11-2015 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 04:07 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,976,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes it does. I guess you just conveniently skip right over those sections.

Evil Bible Quotes
No. It doesn't. Nowhere in those "evil Bible quotes" can you find anything that says God is our magic genie that serves us.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:08 PM

5,254 posts, read 1,678,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The lack of simple comprehension in this couple is what baffles me. You could shoot their first kid with a gun right in front of them and if you aimed the gun at their second child it still wouldn't register in their minds that if you pulled the trigger their second child would die as well. I just cannot comprehend the mentality that drives people like this. This is a perfect example of the power of religious indoctrination. I don't think there is any greater power in the world than religious indoctrination, not even love, because people who have been religiously indoctrinated cannot be reasoned with. No amount of proof contrary to their religious beliefs will persuade them. All a judge can do is lock them up. Sterilization wouldn't be a bad idea either.
That's what I see too. I think it hijacks cognition and attaches itself to human connections in order to infect as many as possible. The bible has many references to Jesus coming to create division. The bible can be used, even in the NT, to incite hatred and suspicion. Some posters on this thread were kind enough to provide the scriptures supporting that. Do you like Jehovah's Witnesses
I noticed these parents were 3rd gen in their group. Non converts have a particularly hard time knowing what normal is because it's all they have ever been exposed to. These groups isolate people from outside influence and are able to control their reality. The whole point of indoctrination is to destroy the self and replace it with an obedient follower. Inside that world "trusting in the Lord" would have made complete sense. In fact, a physical death is seen as nothing compared to a spiritual death that would be caused by disobeying God. The parents very well may have thought they were protecting their children from the all important spiritual death. They would have been encouraged by those around them that it was the loving thing to do. I don't think it's something a rational person can comprehend unless they have been in a group like that. Even more important is to realize you are in a group like that. What fascinates me is that people are able to come face to face with another group and never realize they are both being tricked in the exact same way.

I actually haven't seen anyone use the Atheist Atrocities Fallacy in the wild before. I can see Stalin saying "the power of non belief commands you..."

Old 11-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
No. It doesn't. Nowhere in those "evil Bible quotes" can you find anything that says God is our magic genie that serves us.
I think you have failed to follow the discussion.

First Trout says the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Then I'm sure you understand when Christians kill their children, or others, or themselves, and claim they were acting as they understood their Christian god wanted them to act - that an objective observer could claim that some Christians are murderers and whack jobs.
Then you come back with this:
Quote:
Except that our Scriptures don't actually teach that sort of thing. Nowhere close.
I just proved you wrong in post #51 Your scriptures do teach sickness, evil and murder.

Sounds very enlightening eh?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I think you have failed to follow the discussion.

First Trout says the following.

Then you come back with this:

I just proved you wrong in post #51
I fail to see any verse or anything that says that such behavior was good, or that it should be emulated by anyone. Can you point that out to me?

I just preached through Judges. It took me several months. I did cover this chapter--and the point of my sermon was that it illustrated the depths of depravity that Israel had fallen to since they strayed from God.

Read the rest of Judges. It's clear that they were in a horribly cycle of disobedience, repentance, then worse disobedience than before. God definitely did not tell them to do anything like that. It's clear that you don't seem to have a clue what the passage or the book is about.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I fail to see any verse or anything that says that such behavior was good, or that it should be emulated by anyone. Can you point that out to me?

I just preached through Judges. It took me several months. I did cover this chapter--and the point of my sermon was that it illustrated the depths of depravity that Israel had fallen to since they strayed from God.

Read the rest of Judges. It's clear that they were in a horribly cycle of disobedience, repentance, then worse disobedience than before. God definitely did not tell them to do anything like that. It's clear that you don't seem to have a clue what the passage or the book is about.

It's not good. There is so much dark sickness that the bible who's god touts. I find it amazing that anyone would use that worthless book for anything that has to do with moral or spiritual value.

I suggest you find spiritual books to learn from that don't have words of hateful sick twisted rubbish in them. There is no value in your holy book. NONE.

It was written by ancient humans who had twisted morals and no understanding of the world we live in today.

The Christian God as presented in the Bible has got to be the most unpleasant characters in ALL FICTION writings…this fictitious God is Jealous and proud of it. Petty, vindictive unjust, unforgiving, racist and an ethnic cleanser urging his people on to acts of genocide. (Does Hitler sound familiar?)

Old 11-11-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
It's not good. There is so much dark sickness that the bible who's god touts. I find it amazing that anyone would use that worthless book for anything that has to do with moral or spiritual value.
Can you show me the verse where God commanded the Israelites to do that? You are blaming him for it, so show me, please.
Quote:

I suggest you find spiritual books to learn from that don't have words of hateful sick twisted rubbish in them. There is no value in your holy book. NONE.

It was written by ancient humans who had twisted morals and no understanding of the world we live in today.
If you understand the message of the Bible -- that human beings are completely lost in sin, yet God himself chose to step out of Heaven, become man and die on a cross to pay the penalty for our sin....redeeming us, you'd realize that the Bible tells the story of the greatest act of love the world has ever known.

I would suggest you should spend some time studying the Bible to understand it. It's obvious that you really don't know what it's main message is.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,346,221 times
Quote:
I prayed with her and the family
Hopefully, they found some comfort.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 PM

10,183 posts, read 10,549,080 times
Quote:
Yet, even his apostles suffered from sickness. It's clear that Mark 11 was not teaching that we could command God to heal any more than we could command mountains to jump into the sea.
The thrust of my comment is not directed at what Mark was teaching, but at the extreme number of pastors who interpret it as such and teach their congregation to believe as such.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,124,679 times
The majority of Christians do not allow their children to die and those who do make those choices have a blind faith. When as an adult you choose to die rather than get treatments thats fine, but its not a great witness to others. To make that choice for an innocent child is criminal and should be prosecuted.The old testament was a written history of Gods relationship with the Isrealites and the covenant He made with them. The New testament is for all jews and gentiles as it relates to the shedding of the blood of Christ as the sacrifice he made for humanity to cover their sins and have forgivness. John 3:16. People believe in many different things which due to free will you are able to do, but one needs to be careful who they listen to as we have witnessed the likes of Jim Jones,David Karesh and others who in their vain imaginations commited their followers to their deaths without their express permission. God didnt command anyone to give up their common sense and blindly walk amongst the wolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality