Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 03:07 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Are you aware that slave ownership existed around the world at that time, and in that context slave ownership cannot be used to smear the founders?
Are you aware that your attempts to distract attention from points that ruin your corrupt narrative aren't going to be effective? You asked why there was Bible study and prayer in schools in our nation's early history. I made clear that that was because of the unjust exploitation of Christian dominance. Furthermore, I gave examples of how things like that, including slave ownership, have changed in the intervening years, as part of our nation's steady improvement with regard to affording justice to all with regard to religious freedom.

I know you find it frustrating that your perspective is indefensible, but that's the cards you were dealt. Don't think that you can distract attention away from substantive condemnation of what you are advocating with such silly games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times

Fail. I never said that Christians would never... I pointed out that the examples provided were meant to condemn Christianity, when in fact, none of the examples involved Christianity and the Branch Davidians were murdered, they did not commit suicide as the poster alleged.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I have seen that too.
In this particular facility that is in question?

Old 11-24-2015, 03:11 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Fail. I never said that Christians would never... I pointed out that the examples provided were meant to condemn Christianity, when in fact, none of the examples involved Christianity
Fail. There were two examples of Christianity.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
WHOOOSSSHHHH!!!! * The sound I imagine the point made when it sailed over your head*

Several people said that it shouldn't matter because it is in the drawer and you aren't being forced to look at it and could simply ignore it. So, I asked why is it any different than those other things? You can just ignore them, right? What is the big deal?

Islamic extremists kill in the name of God. There have been MILLIONS of people killed in the name of the Christian God. You are welcome to keep living in your bubble, but I will look at reality.

Ever hear of the Crusades? People being killed because they were heretics? Witches? Yes, plenty of people have been killed because of the Christian God.
Sorry that must have been the sound of the wind between your ears. The issue relates to a RELIGIOUS book being placed in a state owned facility. To argue that it is unconstitutional, you would have to at least have the intellectual ability to use comparable examples.

I would not ignore a severed head either, does that defeat the argument that someone can ignore the Gideon Bible?

Islamic extremist kill in the name of Allah. Ask a Muslim extremist of Allah and God are the same thing.

If you have to reach back to 1095, prior to the reformation to support your argument, you're doing it wrong.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
So you're saying that Gideons are given master keys to hotels and walk into guest rooms to inspect the Bibles periodically, without the hotel assuring that the Gideons aren't compromising the safety of the room?

It's amazing the nonsense people are making up to try to defend the Gideons.
Yes, the nonsense is amazing, isn't it. You really have to reach for the minutiae to try and support your argument, huh?

Since the Gideons have been placing bibles in hotel rooms since 1908, I'm pretty sure there would have been a stop to it, had the burden to micromanage them become an issue.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Again, you are just proving my point for me. It would take a large number of people offing themselves to make you take it out of the room, whereas only the possibility of ONE person being saved is enough to keep them in. Hypocrisy.
I'm not going to argue this point with you anymore because you just want to force fit me into your hypocrite trap. People are not commiting suicide because of the Bible so your hypo ethical is pointless.

Quote:

You are right, and I have said as much. I personally do not give a rat's butt if it is in the nightstand at the hotel I stay at. I use hotels for sleeping, and... other things. I don't check out the drawers and whatnot. It would set a precedent to allow them though. You guys push and push and push until people start fighting back. If you allow them to do so here, what would be next? Allowing them to be placed in every room of government buildings? In schools? The FFRF don't want these things allowed because you guys would use it to start trying to creep it into other places.

The Gideons have been placing Bibles in hotels for generations. Nothing has changed. It's your side that wants to tear down traditions that actually are good for society.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
This is a STATE RUN LODGING. I realize you are late to the party and are responding to posts from 30 or so pages ago, but all these questions you are asking have been answered at this point, 20 pages ago.

It is irrelevant as to whether or not they have physically turned people away or not. This is a STATE RUN LODGING. They opted to take the Bibles out instead of have to deal with others wanting their book to be placed in rooms. That right there tells you that they were only interested in the Bible being placed.

Where in the constitution does it state that the Gideons cannot voluntarily place bibles in hotel rooms of state run facilities?

Old 11-24-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It was stated that the bible should be respected because it was a historical document. So are the books I mentioned. In fact, they actually ARE historic, as oppose to a bunch of tales put together by a wandering desert tribe of goat herders.

Sorry, I didn't know that there was a side argument about respecting history books. I thought this was a discussion about religious freedom.

Carry on.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Or maybe it demonstrates that the one that made the original statement is full of hot air.
Is that a reference to me or Jeffy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality