Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 08:10 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

This is a tempest in a teapot, pragmatically speaking, in that this is the 21st century, not the mid 20th. As someone else pointed out, people can get the Bible and the Koran and a zillion other propaganda pieces via the Internet. They want to know the hotel WiFi password and how to work the TV remote and then if they want reading material and are traveling they likely have an entire library on their tablet device already.

If the Gideons want to waste $$ and resources "reaching" people by putting a fairly non-accessible and intimidating physical book in a drawer that most don't look in anymore, let them.

Of course in legal terms these are university-run and thus government owned and thus public buildings and like all such locales must either not promote any religion or provide equal access to all. I am given to understand that increasingly the trend is to have a central library that makes these books available upon request to any who wish to borrow them. My guess is that hotels get very few such requests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
For all their blustering, atheists will never be able to get rid of God, or His Holy Spirit in believers hearts. In the long run, they are totally powerless, and will accomplish nothing of lasting value.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
For all their blustering, atheists will never be able to get rid of God, or His Holy Spirit in believers hearts. In the long run, they are totally powerless, and will accomplish nothing of lasting value.
And for all your bluster, you ignore the fact the majority of atheists have no such goal in mind. The majority of them could not care less what belief you have, or what god you think is in your heart. And until you realize that, you will in the long run be totally powerless, and will write nothing of any lasting value on this forum.

No, the reality is that the majority of atheist groups, humanist groups, and secular groups..... the latter two of which also have many theist members too lest you think it all atheist driven.... have no interest in destroying faith or belief in god(s). They merely want to ensure those beliefs are kept entirely out of our halls of power, education, science and medicine where they simply have no place.

What your hobby is, or what you get up to in your club houses (assuming no law breaking) is of little or no interest. So the bluster is all yours here, not that of atheists. As is being powerless, ineffectual, and of transient value.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I have no desire to "get rid of God" or his manifestation "in believers hearts" that you imagine. Nor do I have the slightest need to, anymore than I have a need to eradicate Peter Pan or Tinkerbell. I doubt seriously that there's a single atheist anywhere who has such desires or needs.

I am of no particular significance and have no special powers but the same can be said of everyone else. I am simply a human being, as are you. I do tend to think that some human beings are more effective and less toxic than others, but that is just my opinion. In point of fact, no one will remember either one of us specifically 100 years from now and what ever knock-on benefits they might unknowingly enjoy that you or I set into motion is down to the quality and nature of our (in)actions in the world, not to magic fairy dust dispensed from on high.

Of course if you believe in magic fairy dust from on high then you have no personal responsibility to be a good actor in the world, and perhaps that is your preference.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Here is something interesting concerning Thomas Jefferson and the reading of Bibles in schools:

Jefferson wanted Bible in school?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:33 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I think there should be a distinction between the ignorant atheist, and the out right antichrist, that exist.
The antichrist disguised them self as atheist, which is technically false .
To be this aggressively against something, you must believe that it exists.
Satan worshipers and Muslims for instance are antichrist .

Old 11-17-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I think there should be a distinction between the ignorant atheist, and the out right antichrist, that exist.
The antichrist disguised them self as atheist, which is technically false .
To be this aggressively against something, you must believe that it exists.
Satan worshipers and Muslims for instance are antichrist .
What do you imagine that atheists are ignorant of? Or is this just another one of your stereotypes to deflect attention away from the actual reasons we have for declining to afford belief to deities generally or yours particularly? Such as having assessed the available data, facts and arguments and arrived at a conclusion from them that you don't agree with?

I also have to wonder how much you actually know about "satan worshippers" or "muslims" to make such blanket statements. Regarding the former for example if you are talking about the so-called Church of Satan, they don't actually believe in a literal Satan and don't actually worship such a thing. They are essentially edgy provocateurs, so to speak, who are actually generally pagans or atheists with a provocative ideology that they choose to affect. Of course it's your preference, I suppose, to conflate activism with hatred.

It's almost comical how you struggle to get your brain around something so simple ... not because you are by any means stupid, but because you are so limited in how you can credit actual reality and still maintain your faith. Because of course if someone can have a rational or reasoned position against your faith that might even evoke deep conviction, that suggests that your faith is irrational and/or an unreasonable conclusion. And that can't be. And so therefore hatred, persecution, and Satan must be involved somehow.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
And for all your bluster, you ignore the fact the majority of atheists have no such goal in mind. The majority of them could not care less what belief you have, or what god you think is in your heart. And until you realize that, you will in the long run be totally powerless, and will write nothing of any lasting value on this forum.

No, the reality is that the majority of atheist groups, humanist groups, and secular groups..... the latter two of which also have many theist members too lest you think it all atheist driven.... have no interest in destroying faith or belief in god(s). They merely want to ensure those beliefs are kept entirely out of our halls of power, education, science and medicine where they simply have no place.

What your hobby is, or what you get up to in your club houses (assuming no law breaking) is of little or no interest. So the bluster is all yours here, not that of atheists. As is being powerless, ineffectual, and of transient value.
You hurt my feelings!

Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have no desire to "get rid of God" or his manifestation "in believers hearts" that you imagine. Nor do I have the slightest need to, anymore than I have a need to eradicate Peter Pan or Tinkerbell. I doubt seriously that there's a single atheist anywhere who has such desires or needs.

I am of no particular significance and have no special powers but the same can be said of everyone else. I am simply a human being, as are you. I do tend to think that some human beings are more effective and less toxic than others, but that is just my opinion. In point of fact, no one will remember either one of us specifically 100 years from now and what ever knock-on benefits they might unknowingly enjoy that you or I set into motion is down to the quality and nature of our (in)actions in the world, not to magic fairy dust dispensed from on high.

Of course if you believe in magic fairy dust from on high then you have no personal responsibility to be a good actor in the world, and perhaps that is your preference.
Neither your nor my opinions have any lasting value. God does however, and your denial of Him changes nothing. If it helps you feel intellectually "superior" to believers, have at it.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Here is something interesting concerning Thomas Jefferson and the reading of Bibles in schools:

Jefferson wanted Bible in school?
It is indeed an interesting link that debunks that Jefferson actually supported the Bible in public schools. Which is no surprise since he was wont to take a scissors to it to remove the miraculous legends and leave behind what he felt was of value (Google "Jefferson Bible").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality