Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:48 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times

Advertisements

What is your knowledge about योग yoga=?
What does it mean to you?
Have you ever practiced any kind of yoga? if yes which one? for how long?
Would you like to know more about it?

नमस्ते - Namaste (My spirit greets yours)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Used to practice it alot when I was a tad younger. (Ballet won out.)

But I really enjoyed the syncronization of breath and body movements.

At one point when I was in physical therapy, the physical therapist used to refer to me as "Yoga Lady." --Supposedly I'm agile.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Used to practice it alot when I was a tad younger. (Ballet won out.)

But I really enjoyed the syncronization of breath and body movements.

At one point when I was in physical therapy, the physical therapist used to refer to me as "Yoga Lady." --Supposedly I'm agile.
Wooow nice!!! you are special June, I've felt your spirit and I know that

I imagine that the kind of yoga you practiced was Hatha Yoga right?

There are a lot of different Yoga practices, the highest goal of Yoga is to connect yourself with the divine.

Yoga is a science, that provides you a scientific way to find God and gradually become less human and more divine, that's the reason why advanced yogis can perform things that would be impossible for a normal human being, like living without food or sleep, among other things.

Really advanced yogis such as Babaji are immortal, they've already beaten death.

Yoga is totally scientific, because with a developed intuition fruit of your faithful and regular meditation practices you can feel God's presence, or if you are truly advanced exit your body by the spiritual eye or Ajna chakra and enter into other planes of existance, and meet with saints or devas or God himself if you are THAT advanced, but that is usually a process that takes maaaaany lifes, it can take millions of them, although yoga hastens that process.

Specially the most powerful forms of it, like Kundalini, specially Kriya, with Kriya you can reach God in a single incarnation if you practice it faithfully.

there are several paths in yoga, some paths can be combined to maximize the effect and evolution.

if anyone's interested I can offer a more detailed explanation of my limited knowledge, perhaps there are other people who could enlighten us more on the subject

Love and Lighty!!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
I know virtually nothing about yoga. It always looked so hard.
All that twisting and bending,ouch
We have a good friend that keeps inviting us to a sweat yoga thing where the room is very steamy and hot while they practice yoga. Not for me. I have a hard time giving up the golf cart and walking 18 holes

But Iam interested in any possible synergy between body and spirit.

I would like to try Thai Chi someday, for example.

I have relatives who teach, perform ballet. Their physical discipline and fortitude is inspiring.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I know virtually nothing about yoga. It always looked so hard.
All that twisting and bending,ouch
We have a good friend that keeps inviting us to a sweat yoga thing where the room is very steamy and hot while they practice yoga. Not for me. I have a hard time giving up the golf cart and walking 18 holes

But Iam interested in any possible synergy between body and spirit.

I would like to try Thai Chi someday, for example.

I have relatives who teach, perform ballet. Their physical discipline and fortitude is inspiring.
Not all yogas imply twisting and bending, others are more based in meditation and concentration techniques to explore the inner self.

Some have a mixture of energy excercises (similar to tai chi) and then meditation.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

Wooow nice!!! you are special June, I've felt your spirit and I know that

I imagine that the kind of yoga you practiced was Hatha Yoga right?
Ah, dear Travelling fella, trust me on this one:

June is no more "special" than you or anyone else, my friend! And I'm not exactly sure just where my "spirit" is these days, but if you can feel it via cyberspace, then I can only assume it's still alive and well!

Bingo on the hatha yoga!

For what it's worth, one of the best books I have ever read on yoga was "Yoga And The Quest For The True Self" by Stephen Cope. I had read numerous books on yoga and yogic practices, but Cope's book really resonated with me as we both speak the same "language." (He's a psychotherapist.) He did an excellent job of highlighting how yoga and meditation practice(s) enable a person to connect with the spiritual aspect of their self, and therein connect with that which is the divine within the "self."

If nothing else, there exist so many different ways in which one can seek out, and find, both themselves and god. --Because I understand Cope's premise, (hatha yoga's premise) that in finding one, you necessarily find the other!

(Which is alot coming from me: Athiest June!)

Take gentle care.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
Quote:
What is your knowledge about योग yoga=?
What does it mean to you?
Have you ever practiced any kind of yoga? if yes which one? for how long?
Would you like to know more about it?

नमस्ते - Namaste (My spirit greets yours)
I started practicing about 11 years ago. I practice mainly hatha but sometimes kundalini, sometimes I mix the poses up. Yoga is the one thing that ALWAYS makes me feel better, happier, healthier. And if I stop doing it for a month or two I start to feel stiff when I get up out of a chair/etc. I think people would have much happier lives as they age if they practiced yoga regularly, and started young.

Not that I am aging, ahem.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
Quote:
There are a lot of different Yoga practices, the highest goal of Yoga is to connect yourself with the divine.
Isn't it weird???? I have doubts about God/dess sometimes, esp. after the last 7 years, but during and after yoga I am always positive that I am a facet of the divine. Something special really does happen with yoga.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,178,819 times
Tried a couple of yoga courses (i believe it was Hatha Yoga).

I really enjoyed them but never stuck with them.

But I don't really know anything about yoga really. I just enjoyed it.

Like Outback I have also been interested in trying Tai Chi
and they have a Qigong class here that I am interested in.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 AM

245 posts, read 625,261 times
I use various streching and breathing technices that can be described as yoga, I'm sure some of them date back to when people first reliezed it was a good idea to do so before strenuous exercize, problay some come from the bhuda dudes, it is good to focus like that, clears your mind and makes you feel strong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality