Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view on abortion
I believe abortion takes a life and I believe in God. 12 14.12%
I believe abortion takes a life and I am a Christian. 36 42.35%
I believe abortion takes a life and I am an agnostic. 2 2.35%
I believe abortion takes a life and I am an atheist. 6 7.06%
I believe abortion takes a life and I am of another religion. 2 2.35%
I believe abortion DOES NOT take a life and I believe in God. 2 2.35%
I believe abortion DOES NOT take a life and I am a Christian. 10 11.76%
I believe abortion DOES NOT take a life and I am an agnostic. 7 8.24%
I believe abortion DOES NOT take a life and I am an atheist. 6 7.06%
I believe abortion DOES NOT take a life and I am of another religion. 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
If I had the money I would, believe me, I would!
Oh well...perhaps some of those women having abortions wouldn't have an abortion if they could afford to raise a child. Hmmm...ironic, isn't it, that YOUR excuse could be the same as theirs...

Old 02-03-2008, 07:45 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Oh well...perhaps some of those women having abortions wouldn't have an abortion if they could afford to raise a child. Hmmm...ironic, isn't it, that YOUR excuse could be the same as theirs...
It's not about their ability to raise a child or not it's about responsibility.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:45 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Those that are for abortion always bring this up
I'm not FOR abortion. I'm FOR a womans right to choose.

Quote:
which seems like some vialed attempt to justify their belief.
Just like calling Abortion murder is a veiled attempt at justifying your belief. I simply asked the question.

Quote:
If one says no I'm against the death penalty your some how ok? If one says yes I'm for the death penalty they say your inconsistent? That's like saying those that are for abortion if they have a child they're some how inconsistent? Silly.
So I'm assuming I was correct that the answer is "No.. but..."

Quote:
Why can't folks just accept the fact abortion is murder and it's wrong?
Cause its not murder. Thats how.

Quote:
Why can't you understand it's a scourge on society?
Cause its not... Thats how.

Quote:
A civilized sane society does not murder their unborn children! So where does that leave us?
And the civilized European countries would say the same about those on death row. Besides.. a fetus is not a child.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
This argument is so old......abortion is the killing of an innocent human life, someone who is killed as a result of the death penalty has done something to deserve the punishment. How can you not see the difference between the two?
Its still killing. Remember.. Marks is the one who stated:

"How are you different from a premeditated adult murderer?"

The death penalty is the most premeditated murder there is.

Also do we really discount the argument because its old? I didn't realize we were to that point. If so I'm going to say your argument that an 11 week old fetus is a child is an old argument. So thus.. the debate ends.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
At what point is it not a baby?

What point does it become a "life"?
I'd say probably somewhere around the 25th week or so. Just my opinion though.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'd say probably somewhere around the 25th week or so. Just my opinion though.
I agree that women should have a choice but if you have ever seen YOUR child on sonogram, you would have no doubt its a life LONG before the 25th week.

I saw my daughters heart beat when I was only 2 months pregnant, I felt her moving inside me, long before I was half way through. Around the 20th week, I had a sonogram where I saw her face, her features and the sonographer was able to tell me her sex.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I agree that women should have a choice but if you have ever seen YOUR child on sonogram, you would have no doubt its a life LONG before the 25th week.

I saw my daughters heart beat when I was only 2 months pregnant, I felt her moving inside me, long before I was half way through. Around the 20th week, I had a sonogram where I saw her face, her features and the sonographer was able to tell me her sex.
Considering my wife was a high risk pregnancy I saw probably 10 ultrasounds before the 25th week.

So I stand by what I said earlier. The earliest suriving preemie seems to be around 22 weeks. So I guess.. my answers was pretty close.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Considering my wife was a high risk pregnancy I saw probably 10 ultrasounds before the 25th week.

So I stand by what I said earlier. The earliest suriving preemie seems to be around 22 weeks. So I guess.. my answers was pretty close.
For me, its not about whether the child can survive outside the womb. Its about is there life present and there is signs of life before a child can survive outside. A heart beat that is going at a different rate then the Mothers is a sign of life. Movement that is not caused by the Mother is another sign of life.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
It's not about their ability to raise a child or not it's about responsibility.
I highly suggest you read the book "Freakanomics". Sometimes, abortion is the responsible thing to do as the mother knows she would not be able to care for the child or/and be a good mother. In Freakanomics, the author cites specific parallels between overall crime and murder rate of when Roe vs Wade was initially passed as well as the rate 15-18 years later, when those supposed unaborted children from poverty-stricken, low class families with uneducated mothers should have grown up. The statics are staggering.

Not mention, I think assessing each situation on its own ---as opposed to keeping something as life-changing as a child to appease the disapproving, judgmental public---would be considered the responsible thing to do.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:

In the plant world there are many kinds of plant life that are considered parasitic, as in they can't live without their host plant, they are dependent and would die were it not for the host, they NEVER become independent, they are no less alive for the fact they are considered parasitic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality